SASS Wire Forum

Early Photograph

Subdeacon Joe

If his discharge was in fact the middle of December 1776 he would not have been in the Delaware crossing on Dec 25. 

What Joe sez...

On May 21, 1855, Conrad Heyer revised his pension claim. In a statement made in Lincoln County, Maine, he stated that he was discharged in December 1778 instead of the date put to pen. His sworn statement goes on to say he, “Was in the army when Burgoyne surrendered; for the details of his service refer to his application & proofs on which his Cert. of Pension was issued, dated July 14, 1819.”

Conrad stipulated that he, “Enlisted first at Waldoboro State of Maine on or about the first day of December 1775 for the term of three years … was honorably discharged in the state of New York on or about the fifteenth day of December AD 1778 as will appear by the muster rolls of Capt. Smiths Company & other rolls. That he was at one time one of Genl Washington’s bodyguard.”

24 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Later he said that he was discharged in 1778.

But..

“According to Valentine Mink (a patriot serving with Conrad) the date of discharge is in question. Mink stated, “That I well knew Conrad Hyer in said service that he enter’d the same with me.” He (Conrad), “Served from the middle of December AD 1775 to the middle of December AD 1776 at which time he was discharged honorably from said service at Fish Kilns on the North River by a pass in writing sign’d by Captain Agry.” Another soldier by the name of John Vanner, stated that he, “Well knew Conrad Hyer” had served, “From December AD 1775 to December AD 1776,” and “Was honorably discharged at Fish Kilns by a pass from Capt. Agry to himself and several others of whom I was one.”

It gets muddled. 

https://allthingsliberty.com/2016/02/conrad-heyer-did-not-cross-the-delaware/

The above supports that he did not cross the river with Washington in a very convincing way.

But it also contains claims of two and three years of service. 

By GAWD I love history!

44 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

That he was at one time one of Genl Washington’s bodyguard.”

I see that, "I was a Green Beret/Army Ranger/Marine Corps sniper/SEAL" has been around for a long time.

Mebbe he crossed the Delaware in the Turtle and nobody saw 'im...  :rolleyes:

Turtle - A Revolutionary Submarine - By Dr. George Pararas-Carayannis

50 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I see that, "I was a Green Beret/Army Ranger/Marine Corps sniper/SEAL" has been around for a long time.

Probably since Ancient Greece.

Archived