SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 Carrier removal and reinstall tip - the video

Warden Callaway

I found out years ago (maybe by accident) that I could remove the carrier from a Marlin 1894 through the bolt cut thus avoiding taking the gun apart.   

Recently I watched a YouTube video of replacing the carrier where the creator took the gun apart.   In the comments section, a guy represented himself as someone who had worked at Marlin said it was general practice to just turn the gun over and shake the carrier out through the bolt cut.  

Now, it's not as easy as I showed it in the video.  I cut out maybe a minute of probing with brass cleaning rod and some jiggling.  

Tweezers make putting the ejector back in way easy for large fingers. Or small fingers for that matter.

Thanks for the complements on the video.  I probably go about it the hard way - clearing the bench and placing camera on tripod and such. I shot over 8 minutes of video. I jigged the carrier down three times until I got a good shot of it falling.  Then spent at least an hour editing off and on over a day to reduce it to the less than four minutes you see.  You probably didn't notice that I sped up the screwing parts 4X speed.  

16 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Tweezers make putting the ejector back in way easy for large fingers. Or small fingers for that matter.

I had a pair of tweezers right there on the bench. I just never thought to use them. I usually don't have that much of a struggle. I cut out some of it. 

Archived