SASS Wire Forum

WARNING! More Facebook Finds

Subdeacon Joe

I know, I know.  There is absolutely nothing of value to see on Facebook.  Just a vast wasteland of leftist media propaganda.  
Or something.

Corvallis, Benton Coujnty, Oregon, 1906.
See "todays" image in comments.
Benton County Courthouse with pruned trees. The Benton County Courthouse is the oldest courthouse in Oregon still being used for its original purpose. Its design is called “Italian Villa with a military influence” and was created by Delos D. Neer a Portland architect of note.
Construction began in the fall of 1888 on both the new courthouse and a jail immediately south of the new building. The foundation and basement walls were made of “superior quality gray granite” from the local quarry at Witham Hill. The upper walls were made of locally produced clay brick. The exterior was then surfaced with concrete made from sand found in Washington Territory and barged down to Portland, where it was then sacked and barged to Salem. There it was transferred to a smaller barge and sent to Albany. From there they were transferred on railway flat cars to finally arrive at their destination. More; https://www.co.benton.or.us/.../some-history-benton....
Image may contain: sky, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, cloud, tree, outdoor and nature

Central City, Gilpin County, Colorado, ca.1874.
1878 Lawrence Street, offices of the Kansas Pacific Railway Co.'s Express on the second level of a brick building. On the first level of the building are the offices of the Hanington & Mellor Bankers. Chapman, Frost & Co. is located in the brick building next door. A dressmaker's mannequin is in the window of the business. The steeple of St. Paul's Episcopal Church and the roof of the Central City high school are in the distance. Western History and Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library
Image may contain: outdoor

Cheyenne, Wyoming, 1872.
The English House, which stood where the hotel Albany stands now, Where Emma Jane Dobbins and two sisters first resided in Cheyenne with their father John Eames. Eames (tanding with apron) was the owner of the hotel.
Wyoming State Archives Photo Collection.
Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor, text that says 'CURIOSITIES LUNCH ROOM ENGLISH HOUSE L.TAYLOR'S SALE DEPOT OP WESTERN NOVELTIES'

Unbelievable. A restaurant at Fort Concho (San Angelo) in 1875. As you can see, it's made of adobe and it appears that one wall is being supported by a wooden post. But I look at this photo and I think of the remarkable human ingenuity displayed and about how what we call history is simply our present response to what came before. Here, there was nothing. Then somebody came along and built a fort. And then, seeing the opportunity represented by the fort, somebody built this restaurant in response to the fort. Then somebody else built something else in response to the fort and the restaurant. Cascade those responses down through time and you end up in present-day San Angelo.
119512811_3585480364817400_5801387470964197358_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=ri6mXeQFImQAX-KpSHB&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=1ea11739bf79ad528ebbff87bb4ca184&oe=5F8C22FA

Lewiston, Idaho, ca.1891
1etg0lSpSsonshored
  · 
Laying the water line from east Lewiston, circa 1891

Oh my good heavens ...
I've known wood splinters in the flush mechanism at work, there are still wooden potable water lines in the vicinity of what used to be Elyria Memorial Hospital, and at times some sloughs off and is washed downstream

I believe these were made of white oak.

There are cedar plank sewers in Old Washington, in Guernsey County.

Looking at this Lewiston water main ... I'd always imagined hollowed out tree trunks ... but this would make more sense, build it like building a barrel on its side, just make it longer.

Thank you for this!

Not facebook, but this thread reminded me of Vernal Bank in California. Eventually it became Zions Bank.

vernal-tb-parcelpostbank-01-630x420.jpg

The story can be found at:

https://www.ksl.com/article/32424611/vernal-bank-built-by-bricks-sent-through-the-mail-mdash-partly-true

Short version... Just over a 100 years ago, a guy in Utah wants to build this bank in California, but wants to use brick from Utah. Shipping the brick is way too expensive, but the Post Office has just instituted parcel post. Much cheaper! He sent all the bricks through the post office.

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

Not facebook, but this thread reminded me of Vernal Bank in California. Eventually it became Zions Bank.

vernal-tb-parcelpostbank-01-630x420.jpg

The story can be found at:

https://www.ksl.com/article/32424611/vernal-bank-built-by-bricks-sent-through-the-mail-mdash-partly-true

Short version... Just over a 100 years ago, a guy in Utah wants to build this bank in California, but wants to use brick from Utah. Shipping the brick is way too expensive, but the Post Office has just instituted parcel post. Much cheaper! He sent all the bricks through the post office.

Not hardly. That is the Zions Bank in Vernal , Utah this very day. The story about mailing the bricks is fact , but it was to Vernal.

Rex :D

4 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Not hardly. That is the Zions Bank in Vernal , Utah this very day. The story about mailing the bricks is fact , but it was to Vernal.

Rex :D

Wonder if there was another bank built in California, the above came up by a quick google search, but I got the story many years ago on a tour in some town in the Sierras.

Actually, I remembered the story as a being a church, but the bank above is what came up in my google search. I went with it. And "California" was also in my google search when the above came up.

So my bad on the details, but mailing the bricks to save money is just so cool!

Archived