SASS Wire Forum

Rye Miles #13621

I have a 66 and a 73, long story short they both crapped out on me yesterday. There's a little hitch causing me to have to lever twice on the 73. The 66 is starting to do the same thing. I jack out rounds sometime too because of this. I had to borrow a 73 from a pard for the upcoming Tusco 3 day in October. I gave both my guns to a pard to try and fix. I'm no gunsmith. 

My point for this post is do you have a backup for your backups?? 

This is proof you just cannot have enough guns!!;)

If you need to BORROW my 73 for tusco for a back up let me know. Honestly Rye I'm  so great full to you for that rifle. I absolutely love it. Least I can do is let u borrow it in a time of need....I know you would take great care of her.

8 minutes ago, Dirty Dutch Brody said:

If you need to BORROW my 73 for tusco for a back up let me know. Honestly Rye I'm  so great full to you for that rifle. I absolutely love it. Least I can do is let u borrow it in a time of need....I know you would take great care of her.

Thanks pard, Nate let me borrow his and I should have on of mine back for Tusco from Iron Hip. He took both of them yesterday to try and fix! Thanks though, your offer is appreciated!!

Rifle:  Although I've only had to use it once, I take a backup Marlin.   My stock broke on my main match Marlin

and the backup saved the day.

SG:  Yes.  I carry a backup 97 but I can only recollect it being used once.

Pistols:   no.

..........Widder

I had backups and backup backups. Never used them but did loan them out to others at big matches to use when their (fill in the blank) broke. I figure that if I ever need a backup for an important match, there are plenty of folks that would loan me one. With all of that in mind.......I sold all of my backups.

When you need a backup rifle you need a backup rifle right durn now! I have used a backup on 3 big matches even after having my main rifle worked over by 3 different gunsmiths. Needless to say they were high blood pressure stages for me.

I now just rotate through several rifles to lower wear on competition rifles and for the fun factor.

I'm far too lazy to cart extra irons to matches.  

I have a brace of 38s and a brace of 45s.  So if I had both with me, I'd have backups unless I was shooting Classic Cowboy that day.  For SG, I have 3, only one that would work for CC.

I have backups for my backups, three pair of Vaquero, three 73's and three SKB's. I even have three rigs. You never know. Mostly they are used as loaners when new shooters need time to acquire everything they need.

I have backups for my main match rifles, however the one time I needed to use the backup it was clear to the other end of the range in my pickup so H Marshall loaned me his backup rifle (that he had in his cart) for the rest of the stages. Lesson learned, I now carry my backups in my cart.

As Sawmill Mary and I both shoot, we have a set of backup guns with us.  We always carry enough extra ammo.  But knock on wood, we've very seldom had to resort to a backup gun. 

Sawmill Mary's Stoeger Uplander has been 100% from day one. As had my CZ-USA Hammer Coach gun. Both are box stock.  Our Marlins have been reliable as have our Uberti Cattleman.  Maybe because they haven't been "slicked up".  The only "slicked up" gun we own is Sawmill Mary's Widder Marlin and it's never failed. 

6 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

As Sawmill Mary and I both shoot, we have a set of backup guns with us.  We always carry enough extra ammo.  But knock on wood, we've very seldom had to resort to a backup gun. 

Sawmill Mary's Stoeger Uplander has been 100% from day one. As had my CZ-USA Hammer Coach gun. Both are box stock.  Our Marlins have been reliable as have our Uberti Cattleman.  Maybe because they haven't been "slicked up".  The only "slicked up" gun we own is Sawmill Mary's Widder Marlin and it's never failed. 

I beginning to think "stock" is the way to go! Less problems for sure!

On 9/20/2020 at 8:05 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

...My point for this post is do you have a backup for your backups?? ...

No I do not have backups for my backups because I don't have any backups to begin with.  My guns are stock and been used for close to  21 years.  Had one flat spring that cracked but I was able to finish the day with it.  Last winter both pistols were showing wear and light trigger pulls so they went to a Coyote Moon Gun Works for maintenance.  

Only time I‘ve ever needed a backup rifle is when I did not bring it with me. Has happened twice! Now I always bring one, sometimes leave it in truck, but generally try to shoot it at least one stage. 
I don’t have pistol backups. I shoot Rugers. Dang near indestructible! 
my shotgun is a Baikal also built like a tank. And my traveling Pard shoots the exact same shotgun, so we could just use the others if either of ours fails. 

I take 2 identical lever guns and SG’s.  My main match pistols are 5 1/2 bbl and the back up pair are 4 5/8.  I guess having b/u Rugers is overkill, but I believe in Murphy.  Generally I end up loaning a b/u to a shooter who breaks something beyond immediate repair.  I started carrying b/u’s after Railhead 2010 when I broke my sg, lever gun and a pistol in one morning.  Knock on wood haven’t needed a b/u ever since.  Why they broke is a separate topic.

I have a backup rifle and backup shotgun that I take with me to three-day matches.  I have only one backup pistol, which is identical to my pair of main match pistols -- I figured no need to a pair of backups  . . . one will do.  It goes to three-day matches as well.

I do not take backups with me to monthly matches.

In all the years I've taken backups with me, I've yet to use them.  Uh, oh . . . I may have just jinxed myself.

Backups aren't backups unless you have them with you. That said, I have a weird  predilection for having a third identical revolver (or more) for each pair I have. Identical. Caliber, finish, barrel length, sights, grips, etc, as well as identical backups for shotguns and rifles. THAT said, I only take backups to state or above matches, which is a little odd, because the more people in attendance, the less you really need a backup.

I once loaned a Uberti .45 Sheriff's model to a pard for an out-of-state match, and didn't see it again for six months! He liked it so much, he bought it off me a few months after that. Talk about a  test drive! :lol:

I have backups as well and usually take them to matches. I have three identical Ruger NMV pistols. For my main match rifle, I use a Uberti '73, but recently picked up a Cimarron/Chiappa '92. For SG, I've been using 50/50 a slicked Stoeger and TOZ 66 (hammered). So, while my pistols are all the same, I do have options for rifle and SG that allow other categories as well. I figured it would be good to have options.

I’ve got back up SG and rifle, but I only take the rifle with me to big matches.  I’d take the back up SG but I need to find a smith that can install choke tubes, still searching for a smith that can do it.

• 1 month later...

yes - always have backups and backups to the backups with me , four deep on the rifles - not identical so i switch up to keep things fresh , but the revolvers never got there

On 9/21/2020 at 8:59 AM, Matthew Duncan said:

No I do not have backups for my backups because I don't have any backups to begin with.  My guns are stock and been used for close to  21 years.  Had one flat spring that cracked but I was able to finish the day with it. ...

Almost the same story.  In 21 years, I've had one hand spring break on a '61 with Kirst Konverter.  Finished the stage by pointing it down to cock.  And even though I don't bring backups, I just happened to have a brand new Cavalry .45 in the car that I was going to try out after the match, so I went and got that.

Having said that, my 5 toggle link rifles are in 5 calibers, so I recently decided that getting a backup for the .357 was a good excuse to buy another gun.  :)

Truthfully I have needed a backup SG once and a backup pistola once.  Twice I have had the air on the outside of my truck tires at a shoot and once I was in need of a pair of batteries since diesels require two.  Moral of the story, buy more guns!

You ALWAYS NEED backups of backups. Any gun enthusiast know this! :-D seriously though, sorry for your luck on two crapping out at once! True story though, my first shoot ever, I had a guy who was loaning me some of his reloads to shoot. He had a high primer in one load that I didn't notice till I had rotated the cylinder too far and it got stuck. I actually have an extra set of pistols so I finished the match with those. My girlfriend had come to the match with me and I got to say "and this is why I have extra guns...". So much more affective when it actually applies to a real life event lol

30 minutes ago, Deuce Dynamite said:

You ALWAYS NEED backups of backups. Any gun enthusiast know this! :-D seriously though, sorry for your luck on two crapping out at once! True story though, my first shoot ever, I had a guy who was loaning me some of his reloads to shoot. He had a high primer in one load that I didn't notice till I had rotated the cylinder too far and it got stuck. I actually have an extra set of pistols so I finished the match with those. My girlfriend had come to the match with me and I got to say "and this is why I have extra guns...". So much more affective when it actually applies to a real life event lol

Do you have a backup girlfriend, too?

Asking for a friend...

:ph34r:

9 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

...Having said that, my 5 toggle link rifles are in 5 calibers, so I recently decided that getting a backup for the .357 was a good excuse to buy another gun.  :)

Excuse?  Aren't you helping the economy recover faster?!?!?

Backups to backups?

Lessee...  

.32-20   Colt Lighting, Winchester 73, Winchester 92

.44 Magnum   Rossi 92.  Winchester 92

.44-40  AWA Lighting, Colt Lighting, Uberti Henry, Uberti 66.

.45 Colt AWA Lightning, Armi San Marco 92

56-50 Spencer, GI surplus.

So, yeah, I have backups.  :)

I don’t take backups to matches.  I use my shooting buddy’s who is my next door neighbor.  But if mine are inoperable at the match, plenty of hand guns and long arms to take to the next match 

My back-up to my back-ups would necessitate me to change category...   Wait... those are my main match guns in another category... so would the back-ups to those guns be the back-ups to my other backups...???

Archived