SASS Wire Forum

Neighborhood Protests

Subdeacon Joe

WELL!!  FINALLY!!  A protest EVERYONE can get behind!!!

I'm thinking about buying bags of The Good Stuff from Costco.
Open the bags into our sterilized scary Halloween bucket, then pass the goodies out with a pair of tongs.

Last year, we had 160+ kids at the door.
One kid told me they bus in to our area, cuz we give out the good stuff.

8 minutes ago, bgavin said:

One kid told me they bus in to our area, cuz we give out the good stuff

There is an online story, with rich people who live in a gated mansion.

On Halloween night there are two plastic buckets attached to the gate. One is full of full size Hershey bars. The other is full of full size Snickers. There is a note attached to the gate. It says that if either bucket is empty, push the intercom button and tell them, and the butler will come refill the bucket.

I thought that was kinda slick.

And I know I've told this before, but it's a good story and deserves to be retold.

I was trick-or-treating with the grandchildren in an expensive residential neighborhood, and one house had five or six people sitting at the edge of the road. They had a couple of large storage containers full of full size chocolate bars - Hershey's, Snickers, Reese's, etc. And one gal had a smaller container. Maybe 15, 16 inches long, 8 inches wide, and five or six inch high walls. It was full of miniatures of booze. Woodward Reserve and Jack Daniels. Kids got candy bars. Parents got whiskey.

After going completely through the neighborhood and getting more candy than the children could easily carry, we swung back down that street. One of the adults said, "we remember y'all". My son-in-law said, "we remember you also, which is why we came back".

And we got more candy bars and whiskey.

10 minutes ago, Alpo said:

And I know I've told this before, but it's a good story and deserves to be retold.

I was trick-or-treating with the grandchildren in an expensive residential neighborhood, and one house had five or six people sitting at the edge of the road. They had a couple of large storage containers full of full size chocolate bars - Hershey's, Snickers, Reese's, etc. And one gal had a smaller container. Maybe 15, 16 inches long, 8 inches wide, and five or six inch high walls. It was full of miniatures of booze. Woodward Reserve and Jack Daniels. Kids got candy bars. Parents got whiskey.

After going completely through the neighborhood and getting more candy than the children could easily carry, we swung back down that street. One of the adults said, "we remember y'all". My son-in-law said, "we remember you also, which is why we came back".

And we got more candy bars and whiskey.

A famous man once said "candy is dandy but liquor is quicker"

I have enjoyed the last 3 Halloweens, just interacting with nice kids and parents. The previous 17 were spent tracking and checking on paroled sex offenders, making sure they weren't trying to lure kids. Took 8 back to prison on various Halloweens.

I remember the poisoned candy scares from the late 80s. I give out Halloween pencils. The little kids love them , the older ones- not so much.

Imis

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I have enjoyed the last 3 Halloweens, just interacting with nice kids and parents. The previous 17 were spent tracking and checking on paroled sex offenders, making sure they weren't trying to lure kids. Took 8 back to prison on various Halloweens.

Excellent job, DeaconKC!!

2 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I remember the poisoned candy scares from the late 80s. I give out Halloween pencils. The little kids love them , the older ones- not so much.

Imis

We used to get little squares of construction paper, about an inch and a half by an inch and a half. They would have a penny glued on them. And written on them it would say, "if you save this penny, you will never be broke". :angry:

If I had been the type of kid that would have rolled a house, or egged a car, or threw rocks through windows - those are the people I would have done it to.

I figure if you're not going to give the kid candy, don't turn on your porch light, and don't answer your door.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

There is an online story, with rich people who live in a gated mansion.

On Halloween night there are two plastic buckets attached to the gate. One is full of full size Hershey bars. The other is full of full size Snickers. There is a note attached to the gate. It says that if either bucket is empty, push the intercom button and tell them, and the butler will come refill the bucket.

I thought that was kinda slick.

We live in a 1960s era blue collar neighborhood, so I'm the butler.
Here in CA, I figure the first kid would steal the entire bucket.
We tried it one year... that is what happened, so I answer the door, and mark my count sheet.

Halloween at my place usually goes as follows:

5:30 (still light out) - cute little three year-old kids dressed as angels or dinosaurs show up.

6:30 - 8-12yo kids begin showing up.

7:30-8:30 - peak time when kids of all ages show up.

8:30 onwards - nothing but teenagers with no costume ringing the door. Many show up again 15 minutes later. Definitely time to turn off the lights and hope nothing gets vandalized before morning.

I think this year I'm just going to keep the lights off all evening long.

The story is taking place in 1972 or thereabouts. Today they'd probably steal them all too.

That story about trick-or-treating where they gave us the booze - at one house the house was dark, but there was a big 30 gallon or so Rubbermaid tote at the street fulla candy bars. I'm sure most kids took more than one, but the kids I saw didn't seem to take more than two or three. Nobody picked up the entire tote and stuck it in their car.

That was in either '14 or '15.

My wife and I have only hosted Halloween trick-or-treaters once in 10 years.  We usually go to a Scary movie marathon that runs from noon to midnight.  Lots of food.

This year, we are doing it remotely via Netflix Party.

I've been on a mountain for a bunch of years, no trick-or-treaters up here. Everyone goes to the trunk-or-treat to give and collect.

But before that in suburbia, I remember a night when a bunch of teenagers came to the door... About five of them... Except I gave out about twenty handfuls of candy.

As each teen got the handful, they ducked around the front of the house and changed costume. So the same kid got another handful, and another, and another.

I went along with it, but called them on it at the end. Basically, let them know I knew and did not care, it was a cool trick worthy of treats! Why did I call them on it at all? Because the last round was without any costume, pure greed! They each got only one single candy corn on the last round :lol:

Fun times.

And on edit: I used to dress up too. Various costumes over the years. Woody from Toy Story was second best, but dressing as Waldo (Where's Waldo) was the clear favorite.

As a kid we went around the block, maybe about a quarter mile on a side.  On the east side there were two houses.  On the north stretch only one, west side I think it was five.  None on the south side.  Our street, a dead end coming off the middle of the south side had two besides our house.  

Full size candy bars.  Home made cookies and fudge.  Apples and oranges.  One person always had hot cider and hot chocolate.  

One that stands out, house of an old family friend, and one of the old Californio families in N. San Diego County, always had a big bowl of M&Ms.  I must have been about 6 years old the first time I remember it.  I reached in and took what amounted to the little packages that get handed out now.  The man looked at me and (in my mind) roared, "What are you doing!" and grabbed my bag and proceeded to shovel handfuls into my bag.  It was great.

Fast forward to the '90s.  We would usually put up a few decorations, answer the door, chide the kids if we didn't think they took enough, throw candy at the parents on the sidewalk.
A couple of times we set up a table, with white cloth (had seen better years and was the one we used to cover the table for SCA camping), ceramic bowls of candy, candles.  Kept an eye on it because of the candles.  Sometimes put on my armor and stood there with a spear.  Usually at a "parade rest" with the spear grounded and leaning out some.  I could hear the kids coming before they could see me, so I would freeze.  Now and then I would assume a position something like
with the point about a foot back from the bowl.  It was fun to hear them stop suddenly and whisper back and forth about if I were real or not.  Usually scared the parents more than the kids when I moved.

!Pike.jpg

Friend of my dad used to dress as a scare crow for Halloween. He would sit on a stool in the yard next to the sidewalk motionless. Lots of kids would stare really close to see if he was a person or not. He would wait till the kids rang the door bell. Then he would quietly get up and stand behind them while the wife distracted them with candy and comments on their costumes.  Has scared more than one kid so badly that they dropped their sack and ran. Most would eventually come back for their sack. He always gave them extra special goodies when they came back.

Sometimes if there were older teens he would just sit and wait till one of them got close enough and when they were not looking he would reach out an touch them. Scared more than a few of them pretty badly. 

Did anybody have a Halloween bonfire?  I lived in a rural twin in Arkansas, and there was no city ordinance against open fires on your yard.

One Halloween, 1966 I think, our next-door neighbor built a huge fire with a trench around it, just like the Scots used to build!

Archived