SASS Wire Forum

Old model vaquero vs black Hawk

Iron Biscuit SASS#108048

My first issued pistol pistol was a ruger speed six with fixed sights notch in rear. Simple,  rugged worked. As long as it correct for windage I could live with holding  for elevation  and if I ever used the vaqueros in that roll it would pretty close for me to take the shot.  Thanks for the info!

I shoot OMVs in 45 Colt.  My brother shoots OMVs in 44 Magnum.  They are the same vintage and, other than caliber, they appear to be the same guns.  

when I was bow hunting I carried my OMV loaded with 300 grain cartridges.  The load was pretty hot but not a max load.  They were reasonably comfortable to shoot out of a 4 5/8th inch barrel..  YMMV

9 hours ago, Iron Biscuit SASS#108048 said:

For hot cartridges in 45 colt,   how does the strength  of the old model vaquero  compare with a new model  blackhawk? 

Thanks Biscuit 

How hot? Buffalo Bore 325 grain solid grizzly bear ammo or cowboy vs "normal" SAAMI spec factory ammo? Pretty much everything is "hotter" than cowboy game ammo.

Some ammo manufacturers list their hot ammo as Ruger Only loads. This DOES NOT include the Ruger New Vaquero as its smaller frame and thinner cylinder walls will not stand those types of manufacturer's hotter ammo. CorBon, Underwood, Buffalo Bore... hot 45 Colt.

Hey Dantankerous,  I think I will someday get a set of new model vaqueros strictly for fun and cowboy,  but I was thinking of the omv and use them for cowboy and like Desert Pete in a warm back up capable  role. 

Iron Bisquit,

The Ruger Vaquero, the original larger model, is the same size as the Blackhawk the only difference being adjustable sights on the Blackhawk versus fixed sights on the Vaquero. The Super Blackhawk, same frame size in the .44 mag with even more metal between chambers in cylinder due to 45 Colt measuring .452 vs the .44 mag measuring .430ish.

Do not however get the slightly larger Blackhawk confused with the Flattop Blackhawk which is built on a medium size frame and only offered in 357 magnum and 44 special I believe.

Buffalo Bore indicates the pre 2005 "Old Model" Vaquero is safe to use to shoot their hot 45 Colt ammo. Do not use a New Vaquero with the hot stuff.

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Iron Bisquit,

The Ruger Vaquero, the original larger model, is the same size as the Blackhawk the only difference being adjustable sights on the Blackhawk versus fixed sights on the Vaquero. The Super Blackhawk, same frame size in the .44 mag with even more metal between chambers in cylinder due to 45 Colt measuring .452 vs the .44 mag measuring .430ish.

Do not however get the slightly larger Blackhawk confused with the Flattop Blackhawk which is built on a medium size frame and only offered in 357 magnum and 44 special I believe.

Buffalo Bore indicates the pre 2005 "Old Model" Vaquero is safe to use to shoot their hot 45 Colt ammo. Do not use a New Vaquero with the hot stuff.

Spot on!  The Blackhawk with the transfer bar and the Super Blackhawk are identical in strength to the Old Model Vaquero to the point where the parts will interchange (with a little fitting possibly required).  I had a Super Blackhawk cylinder fitted to an OM Vaquero in .44-40, so I have the capability to shoot either cartridges.  I also had a OM Vaquero in ..44 Magnum fitted with a .44-40 cylinder I happened to find, giving me a pair of convertibles.  As stated, in .45LC, the cylinder wall thickness is somewhat less than the .44's due to the larger base diameter of the .45LC.  I would not up the .45LC loads to the level of a .454 Casull, however.

Ruger 454 Casull and 480 cylinders are made 5 shot to put that needed strength back into the cylinder.  454 is a real hot load. No round for weak guns or weak shooters. B)

23 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

454 Casull cylinders are made 5 shot to put that needed strength back into the cylinder.  454 is a real hot load. No round for weak guns or weak shooters.

Those lil girly wrist of yours could never handle that! ^_^

1 minute ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Those lil girly wrist  yours could never handle that! ^_^

Oh, little pesky brother...

I can handle full house 454s no problem just as long as I only use one hand.  :P

You graduated from a BB gun yet?

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

The New Model Flattop is also available in .45 caliber.  I think all the ones I have seen are convertibles.  I agree, though, no “Ruger only” level .45 Colt loads in the Flattop.

15 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

The New Model Flattop is also available in .45 caliber.  I think all the ones I have seen are convertibles.  I agree, though, no “Ruger only” level .45 Colt loads in the Flattop.

My 44 Magnum Anniversary Flat Top was a larger frame than my 44 Special. I also have a 41 Mag Flat Top but have no comparison for frame size. If anything limits the firepower on the Flat Tops it is the grip size. I have the parts for a Bisley conversion on the 41 but haven't moved forward yet with that project. I sold the 44 Mag and used the money for my SBH Bisley, which solved my problem there. I don't believe 41 and 44 are offered anymore in Flat Top, which for me were a way to get indexing on the loading gate, unlike my SBH.

1 hour ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

My 44 Magnum Anniversary Flat Top was a larger frame than my 44 Special. I also have a 41 Mag Flat Top but have no comparison for frame size. If anything limits the firepower on the Flat Tops it is the grip size. I have the parts for a Bisley conversion on the 41 but haven't moved forward yet with that project. I sold the 44 Mag and used the money for my SBH Bisley, which solved my problem there. I don't believe 41 and 44 are offered anymore in Flat Top, which for me were a way to get indexing on the loading gate, unlike my SBH.

Good point; I overlooked the 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum which is a flattop but it uses the large cylinder frame (which it must to handle .44 Magnum).  I read that the .41 Magnum flattops were assembled on frames from the 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum production run.

We need a wall chart to keep up with the different Ruger single action variants!

19 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Oh, little pesky brother...

I can handle full house 454s no problem just as long as I only use one hand.  :P

You graduated from a BB gun yet?

Still shooting the ole one pump Red Ryder BB gun you gave me! Great little gun, I am really surprised that you never could learn to manage the recoil yourself. ;)

Archived