SASS Wire Forum

Pepsi Commercials

Subdeacon Joe

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the Pepsi v. Coke continuing debate I've noticed that both sides think that the Other Side's choice is too sweet and lacking in carbonation. 

My real preference is Royal Crown,  but it is rarely on special at the price point of Coke or Pepsi. 

24 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

In the Pepsi v. Coke continuing debate I've noticed that both sides think that the Other Side's choice is too sweet and lacking in carbonation. 

My real preference is Royal Crown,  but it is rarely on special at the price point of Coke or Pepsi. 

It sells at the same price around here.  It's just harder to find at times.

Oddly enough, Royal Crown and Coca Cola both have their roots in Columbus, GA.

Dr Pemberton was injured during the Battle of Columbus and it led to his invention of a patent medicine that became Coke.

Royal Crown was invented by a Columbus area pharmacist and wholesale grocer named Claud Hatcher (who's shop located about 4 blocks south of where Pemberton was injured) because he felt that his soda fountain was doing such good business selling Coca Cola that he deserved a bulk discount- which the Coke rep refused to give him.

So he went down in the basement and started working on a competitor.  First, he developed a ginger ale he named Royal Crown Ginger Ale that was quite successful and, later, Chero-Cola which developed in to Royal Crown Cola through a reformulation in the '30's.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Interesting. I like Coke and think it's sweeter. Also, I don't mind if it goes flat.

Growing up my mom always bought Pepsi    so I’m used to it. Cokes okay too. Although  I don’t buy either regularly I love a nice cold Pepsi on a hot day!

COKE!!  They ask me if Pepsi is okay and I tell them absolutely NOT!!

If I wanted flat and too sweet, I’d never have married Schoolmarm!!

I WILL  take an RC when I can find it and Double Cola will work too!  If Pepsi is all that’s available, I usually ask for water or tea ......... or just go somewhere else.

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

COKE!!  They ask me if Pepsi is okay and I tell them absolutely NOT!!

If I wanted flat and too sweet, I’d never have married Schoolmarm!!

I WILL  take an RC when I can find it and Double Cola will work too!  If Pepsi is all that’s available, I usually ask for water or tea ......... or just go somewhere else.

Flat??? I’ve never had a Pepsi that was flat unless someone shook it up and let all the fizz out which would happen with. Coke too!:blink:

That little girl doing the Mafia Don in the Italian restaurant is one of the best commercials I've ever seen. That second one in the diner, where she gives the cook grief about not offering a choice is unAmerican is just dumb.

But, "...you insult me and my entire family by offering me --- this..." That is beautiful.

To me Coke is flat and too sweet. Pepsi has lots of carbonation and the right amount of sugar. 
Like Blackwater, I have heard Coke drinkers say the same thing about Pepsi. 

I have often wondered if people just have a physical disposition to like one or the other?
RC was a soda I loved as a kid because it’s what my parents bought unless we were at a restaurant then it always seemed to be Coke. Once I tried Pepsi, the others paled in comparison. 

On the subject of Moon Pies, God’s gift to the world, I am sure. There used to be a Hardware Store about 20 miles outside of Rogers Arkansas that sold a Moon Pie and a Dr. Pepper for 10 cents in 1972. He actually put up a sign in his store profusely apologizing to all his customers when he raised the price to 15 cents due to inflation. :D I loved that area when I was a kid. 

I prefer Coke but buy what is on sale.  I find Coke less sweet than Pepsi.  It must be like that cilantro thing - you either like it or it tastes like soap.  I don't remember the last time I saw an RC.  And so far no one's mentioned Cheerwine, which beats the poo out of Dr Pepper all day long.

3 minutes ago, MizPete said:

I prefer Coke but buy what is on sale.  I find Coke less sweet than Pepsi.  It must be like that cilantro thing - you either like it or it tastes like soap.  I don't remember the last time I saw an RC.  And so far no one's mentioned Cheerwine, which beats the poo out of Dr Pepper all day long.

Ooh...I miss Sun Drop. Besides some great Barbecue, Sun Drop is one of the things I miss in the Carolinas. 

Archived