SASS Wire Forum

Vietnam Era Sniper Rifles

Yellowhouse Sam # 25171

Don’t know. Army used M14s. I can ask Big Jake. He was a Jarhead sniper.

B0466E22-AC10-46A8-9921-58CE810AEC06.jpeg

Here is an article on Vietnam Era sniper rifles. Not much in Remingtons. 
https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/early-vietnam-sniper-rifles/378380

Here’s a story about Remington long guns in Vietnam. Scroll down for sniper rifles. 
https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/remington-timeline-1966-remington-firearms-in-vietnam/248368

Starting in the mid-90's, pre- Cub Scout days, my son and I were involved with the YMCA Indian Guides - a ton o' fun for several years.  I was the "Nation Chief," and then "Sachem;" our Indian Guide aliases were "Running Buffalo" (son) and "Sleeping Buffalo" (dad).

Our YMCA liaison, the "Indian Agent," went by the alias "Running Buck."

Well, Running Buck was a soft-spoken gentleman, loved by the kids and well respected by the parents and leaders. About my age, I think (mid-40's at the time).  Unflappable, with a friendly yet professional bearing.  Definitely an accountant, or perhaps banker or real estate broker.  without a doubt an office type.  He actually kinda reminded me of Wally Cox.  Nice guy.

One summer we were at camp, and Buck was missing.  Arrived a few hours later, and joined me and another fella at a table for coffee.  After some small talk, I mentioned that it was "good to see ya, Buck!  We didn't think you were gonna make it!"

"Yeah... got delayed.  Had an issue I had to take care of."

"Uh oh.  Nothing too serious, I hope."

"Well... Not good.  I had to shoot some dogs."

What??

"Uh... you had to shoot some dogs??  Whyinell did ya have to shoot dogs?  And where?"

A bit surprised at the question, he said "Why, on the ranch."

"The ranch?"

"Yeah.  Cattle ranch.  Been in the family for generations.  Anyway, hated to do it, but had to shoot some dogs that had packed up and were killing calves."

Well, needless to say, we were surprised.  Buck was a rancher!  So much for the accountant image! 

Curious, I then asked "So Buck... Wha'd ya shoot these dogs with?"

Calmly, he said "Remington Model 700, with a Douglas (?) barrel, Jewell trigger, Unertl scope...." and then proceeded to describe his handloads.

By now surprise had escalated to astonishment....

"Where the heck did you get that??"

"OH!  They used to let us build our own rifles on my earlier job."

"Earlier job...?"

"Uh huh.  I was a Marine sniper in 'Nam."

Not sure if this was the actual rifle he used "on the job," or if he built it when a civilian 'cuz he liked his original so much.

Like I said.  Nice guy. 

Many good conversations followed.   :)

Been there, Done that. USMC 1969-1972, Vietnam 1970-1971. Rifle is a  M-40, Remington 700/M40 heavy barrel with a Redfield 3X9 variable scope with accu range finder. I also carried an M-14 with a Starlight scope on it for night shooting. we called it "the Green eye"

Scout Sniper 1970.jpg

Vietnam cupp 4 Teac.jpg

SS school 1970.jpg

M-14 and Tiny and Meesey..jpg

OK the USMC adopted the Remington M40 in 1966 and then started converting them to the M40A1 in 1976/1977. It replaced the 30-06 Winchester M70 rifle.  The US Army adopted the Remington M24 in 1988 replacing the M21 (sniper version of the M14).  The XM21 was used from 67-75 when the designation changed to M21.

This is a tribute M40 next to an M24R rifle.

bolt sniper F.JPG

Howdy,

My friend Chief AJ said that the book Marine Sniper  has all you need to know

about great shooting.

Maybe give it a read. Possibly free at your local library?

Ive found it at used book store for a couple bucks.

The author did add a few things here and there.

A lot of interesting stuff about shooting and spotting.

Best

CR

• 2 weeks later...

Marine Corps Museum in Quantico VA with a M-40 Scout Sniper Rifle with the Redfield scope. 

Acc-u-range was good for 100-600 yards. 3X9 variable with bracketing bars at top in field of vision representing 18 inches from 100-600 yds.

3 M-60's set up on Bi-pods and flash suppressors. Faster to get into action than laying it on the ground. Some Marines called it "The Pig" cuz it ate up soooo much ammo. I could grab a 200 round can of ammo and strip it and use the rounds in my M-14 mags. I carried 14 mags on my belt and one in the Rifle. After the 4th of july 1970, all M-14's were called in and I ended up with only 4 mags for the rest of my tour, but it was enough.

Big Jake 1001 SASS Life

M 40 Sniper.jpg

M40_01.jpg

M60 line up.JPG

Archived