SASS Wire Forum

Changing a Safe Combination Lock

This is intended to be a lesion in how to save money if you need to replace a safe combination lock. The lock on my 15 year old Zanotti safe became more difficult to spin closed. It opened fine, but required lots of juggling to close. Contacted Zanotti and they sent me a tool to reset the combo. It helped for a while, but then got worse. Contacted a local locksmith and sent a picture of the lock which turned out to be a La Gard group II wheelpack, an industry standard. Said they could rebuild it. Tech came by and cleaned it. Turns out that it had a damaged brass ring inside it. Had it replaced with an electronic lock, an ESL 10 which is also an industry standard. Bottom line cost was $400+. The lock was $200, which is in line with Internet prices, rest was tax, labor, and transportation.

Anyhow, could have saved $200 by doing it myself. Sat and watched the whole process.  The only difficult piece was removing he old lock: four screws and channel locks to pull the keeper holding the dial on (from the rear of the safe). Apparently the holes through the door for mounting the assembly are standard. Installing was a cinch.

If you need a new lock, consider DIY. If it's beyond your talent, can always call in a locksmith.

Did you contact the lock maker?

Dial combo locks are easy to reset.

A squirt of silicon spray on the lock's insides is usually all that's needed to keep'em running smooth.

Electronic ĺocks are a locksmiths best friend......

OLG 

38 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Did you contact the lock maker?

Dial combo locks are easy to reset.

A squirt of silicon spray on the lock's insides is usually all that's needed to keep'em running smooth.

Electronic ĺocks are a locksmiths best friend......

OLG 

Exactly. I don’t need no extra elektrons runnin around in my safe. I hear they cause rust too!

Lumpy - The lock had a dented/crushed washer inside of it that was causing the issue. The tech disassembled it and greased it. The busted part was finally found after complete disassembly. I did not want to fiddle with it anymore.  Did not have a mechanical replacement in stock, so went with electronic. I really like the electronic lock's features; no more 4 to the left, 3 to the right, 2 to the left, turn right until a stop.

The main package of electrons are external; beside have a Goldenrod in the safe that keeps on chugging after 15 years.

I have an Oxbow safe with an electronic lock. Couldn’t get batteries to last more than a couple of days. Called the locksmith. OLG is spot on . Locksmith put in a La Gard. Said that he stays extremely busy changing out electronic locks on safes.  He allowed me to help with the change out. Pretty simple really. Because I helped (He was in his 70s, with bad arthritis) he reduced my bill from $350 to just $200. 

Archived