SASS Wire Forum

New pistols

Iron Biscuit SASS#108048

Ok, I know this is like a Ford Chevy etc debate  but if you were going to get new pistols in 45 colt, what would you get and who would you have slick them up? 

Thanks 

Biscuit

Hands down, Vaqueros from Jimmy Spurs 

1 minute ago, Iron Biscuit SASS#108048 said:

Is the general consensus  vaqueros are the way to go?  

For some. Then there are those of us who prefer a SAA clone. Or an Open Top design. Schofields are nice. Really boils down to your preference. 

SAA and Rugers are different in a number of ways, you need to check them both out before buying either.  I’ve got both and while the Rugers are fine guns I personally don’t like to shoot BP with them.  The reason is that they’re built almost too good, the tolerances are tight and the soot tends to bind them up quickly, for smokeless they’re very smooth and reliable.  If you decide to go with SAA look at the El Malo’s, not overly expensive and IMHO a good solid gun.

If your looking at age based categories consider Ruger Blackhawks. 

Don't buy what's popular with everybody else. Buy what fits your hands and feels the best.

I started with Rugers. but I liked my second a lot better than the first. First set were what everybody else said to get.  My second set were the same caliber but different grips and longer barrels. Just those 2 changes dropped my miss rate by about 20%

I now shoot 1860 C&B with Navy Grips. Like them but building up a set with Army grips to see if I like them better. Tried 1858's but didn't like them as much as I did the 1860s so I sold them.

Also slicking up a set of 1872 open tops to see if I like them better than my Rugers.  

Best advice I can give is try every style gun you can borrow and then buy what works for you.

Ruger Old Armies with conversion cylinders.

Best advice I can give is try every style gun you can borrow and then buy what works for you.

Edited 2 minutes ago by Sedalia Dave

This is the best advice you can follow before you buy. Only you can decide what feels best in your hands. Everyone has an opinion but ONLY YOU knows what fits you best. 

I have a set of smoke wagons by Cody Conager, and I really like them, super smooth and shoots well,  thinking  now about getting 45s and wanted additional  opinions.   Does anyone have opinons about  durability etc between  smoke wagons  and rugers?

1 hour ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Best advice I can give is try every style gun you can borrow and then buy what works for you.

Edited 2 minutes ago by Sedalia Dave

This is the best advice you can follow before you buy. Only you can decide what feels best in your hands. Everyone has an opinion but ONLY YOU knows what fits you best. 

I agree with Too Tall, otherwise you end up with a bunch of different sets of pistols like a lot of us! Lol 

36 minutes ago, Canton Chris said:

I agree with Too Tall, otherwise you end up with a bunch of different sets of pistols like a lot of us! Lol 

I only have one set, my first set. And I see no reason to buy another set for any reason. And I have shot them at a match too so it isn't like I have zero experience. They work fine!

I doubt I will ever change my mind unless someone offers me a chance to shoot theirs and I like them more. That is the only way I could see ending up with two pair. Unless I decide on another caliber, that could do it too. But no other way it could happen, unless maybe I want to also shoot a different style and need Bisley hammers.. I suppose that would be a third set, maybe a fourth in another caliber. Or another. But there is no other possible reason I would ever want another pair.

Oh wait, those look shiny... Are those nickel plated or polished stainless?

On edit: To actually contribute to the discussion, mine are Uberti Cattleman 1873's in .44 Special. I chose them as I decided I want to run .44 Russian with BP sub. And they are slicked by Taylor; I bought them used. They really are fine for me and as a new shooter in this sport, they are faster guns than I am a shooter. In time, I might be asking the same question, particularly as to a preferred gunsmith but I won't have that question until I am faster than these guns.

See what fits best and feels right for you. I have a pair of SS omv in .357 which run great shooting with a full load of Goex ff. I also have a pair of USFA in 44 spcl that shoots great with 44 Russian and to really have fun I switch over the cylinders to 44-40 and a full load to much fun. But my main match guns are a sort of pair of ROA's one has a 5.5" barrel and the other 7.5" barrel. My wife has a pair of Smokewagons  .38 spcl she loves. If you go to a match no doubt if you ask questions plenty of folks would offer to let you try theirs. You can never have to many pairs. 

Just my 2 cents worth

Hochbauer

Tough question indeed.

I have New Model Vaqueros (.45) that have been cold since I acquired the open tops (.45) I shoot now.

Both excellent in their own right.

Now I’m searching for a second Cimarron Lightning in .38 to make a pair because I like the one I have so much.

Why draw a line in the sand?

As for a ‘smith, my local guy is LQ Jones.

He’s never failed to deliver the goods!

Best advice, try different stuff and buy what feels good to you.  I'd be very surprised if you stay in this game for very long that you will only have one pair of pistols.  There are pros and cons to each brand and model.   

To add...

Try the same pistol in different barrel lengths, Different grips, different hammers, short stroked, not short stroked. You may be surprised how seemingly subtle changes make dramatic differences. 

I bought a pair of 75 Outlaws. Came with stock grips and a very thin set. Tried both on a plate rack. 25 rounds each hand with both style of grips. Fired a total of 100 rounds and switch grips every 10 rounds. Kept score with each hand and style of grip. Discovered significantly fewer misses with the thin grips.

What made the test special was neither the stock or thin grips felt uncomfortable in my hands. The were different but until I did the test I had no real preference for one over the other. 

I have several CAS revolvers. Currently, I use  .45 Colt Ruger OMs with gunfighter grips. They were slicked up by the late West Fargo. I have been shooting wart hog loads of Holy Black in them without any problems since 2006.

My advice is to try lots of revolvers before you buy. I now use my earlier pairs as loaners to newbies.  :wub:

Try many types before you buy. Get what fits your hands best.  It also depends on style you plan to shoot. One handed duelist, two handed. 

Well, last year a bought a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros from Long Hunter, slicked up with super blackhawk hammers on them.  That should tell you what I think.

I shoot CC, GF and age based with them depending how I feel and how my old arther itus lets me.

Still have my 38s, but once you go to those big boolits, it's hard to go back.

Enjoy whatever you decide on....and can find.

Grizz

Don't worry, like most of us you will have several sets of guns. I got long barrel short barrel army grips, navy grips,  2 sets of open tops, Richard masons. I think I have a problem! Hope my wife doesn't get on the wire. Try out as many sets as you can before you buy. 

Rafe

Way to many factors to consider IMO. What I would buy and what would work for you maybe on opposite ends of the spectrum. If 2k was the budget I believe i'd find a pair of OMV's with 7.5" barrels in 45 colt, throw some gunfighter grips on and see if I had enough left over to get lassiter to short stroke them. Why? because I have OMV in 375 and 44/40 already even though I dont like them as well as my cimarron new model armys I do better with the rugers on the clock. 

7 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Try many types before you buy. Get what fits your hands best.  It also depends on style you plan to shoot. One handed duelist, two handed. 

Very true. At least for me.

Like my Ruger Bisleys for Duelist and GFer.

But if I was shooting two handed? They would not be my choice.  

1 hour ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Very true. At least for me.

Like my Ruger Bisleys for Duelist and GFer.

But if I was shooting two handed? They would not be my choice.  

I shoot duelist but my hands are small so the bisley grips don't work for me. Low profile hammers help me a lot shooting one handed. 

New Ruger Vaqueros with Shotgun Boogie kits!  

If you Buy Rugers and WANT to shoot Holy Black a good smith Will recut the Lead in you barrel and Face-off your barrel to increase your Cylinder Gap to .008 ,,, change out the springs and smooth up  some parts ...

And you will be good to go ...

Personally I like Open-Tops with navy Grips ....

I have a NMV in .45 Colt that I have had for over 10 years and I doubt I have fire 200 rounds in it ... Well made gun easy to slick up some to run with  Black, just haven't bothered .... 

Jabez Cowboy

I already have a set of smoke wagons  in 38 and really like them but I have always  loved Rugers.  And Li e Rider, I think you're correct, doesn't matter what's next because more will likely arrive in the future as well.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 9:56 PM, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Don't worry, like most of us you will have several sets of guns. I got long barrel short barrel army grips, navy grips,  2 sets of open tops, Richard masons. I think I have a problem! Hope my wife doesn't get on the wire. Try out as many sets as you can before you buy. 

Rafe

Try them? Just buy them all... don't let wife know is the key LOL

Archived