SASS Wire Forum

Modifying '73 carrier

Rance - SASS # 54090

Just wondering if some cowpokes that are in the know..

Could post some pictures of how the carrier is modified for loading "Over the top"

Many pictures and suggestions would be great..

Oh yeah.. Shooting 38 special in Uberti:huh: rifle 18" barrel..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I'd sure appreciate it:rolleyes:

No modifications needed for mine.  I use 38 specials for the 357 rifle and Cowboy Specials for the 45 Colt rifle.  Bullets are TCFP for the 38 special and RN for the 45 Colt.

You may not have to do anything.  But if the case rim hangs up on the carrier when the bolt is being closed, bevel the part of the carrier that is catching the rim.  Just a little, doesn’t take much.  And make sure the lifter spring has enough tension on it.

Umm, second view is  a Front view of the carrier.  

Directions on firearms should always be determined as the gun is held in shooting position.  (The view is from the front of gun.  The front of the carrier is shown.  That makes it a front view.)

Good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Umm, second view is  a Front view of the carrier.  

Directions on firearms should always be determined as the gun is held in shooting position.  (The view is from the front of gun.  The front of the carrier is shown.  That makes it a front view.)

Good luck, GJ

100% correct. My description is backwards. Arrows are pointing to the correct corners, I just described it wrong.

Actually the red arrows are pointing at the front of the carrier.  That is not where the rims can hang up.  The blue arrows are pointing to the proper points.

73231016-2E1E-46A2-98C5-A328DBCAE253.thumb.jpeg.f809900e5625291c79009ae076dfcb4f 2.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Actually the red arrows are pointing at the front of the carrier.  That is not where the rims can hang up.  The blue arrows are pointing to the proper points.

73231016-2E1E-46A2-98C5-A328DBCAE253.thumb.jpeg.f809900e5625291c79009ae076dfcb4f 2.jpeg

Lars,

Go easy on those points. Those two points are the first to contact the empty case to eject it. If lower too much it slows to case coming up and can put a bind on the extractor. This is one of the reasons folk are having problems with bent/loose extractor. Normally it is poor timing of the short stroke parts that causes this but lowering those points can make it worse.

Just now, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  SB, there IS hope, you CAN be trained.......

NO! NO! NO!

There is no way!

Archived