SASS Wire Forum

Bending Over Backwards

Waimea

Ok I know there's gonna be some laughs over the title (Sun, I'm counting on you).

But this is a serious post.

Question:

What have you seen or even heard of that makes you proud to be a SASS member?

I started this thread bc someone asked how he can still shoot after getting a colostomy bag.

BIG TAKE AWAYS FOR ME:

He still wants to shoot.

His pards want him to shoot.

SASS says whatever you can do to help someone with a medical problem still shoot, do it.

THAT'S AWESOME!

Waimea

SASS Proud

Too most of us, that is not bending over backwards.  Making arrangements for others to shoot regardless of their difficulties is just part of our game/sport.  We encourage everyone to join us.  If we have to make a change to enable someone to join in the fun, I have not seen or been anyplace that would not make the adjustment to enable them to join us.

Bubba Bear

We've got some older guys in our club that have trouble with walking but the drive to shoot every month is strong. We lend a shoulder to lean on approaching the stage and afterward on the way to the unloading table. We make sure someone grabs their long guns for the walk. It's not much but it keeps them in the game and they're still competitive in mind & spirit.

For a while, we had a young man (Hansom Ranson if memory serves) who was wheel-chair bound shooting with us.  His Uncle, would move him from position to position while the rest of us cheered him on.  Uncle, who was a SASS member but never shot, got Spirit of the Game award that year as I recall.

A couple years ago, at the Mason Dixon Stampede, M.T. Chambers worked tirelessly to turn our run-down fort into a work of art Train Car!  Targets were shot through the side windows, but because the platform was elevated and the targets on the ground, one of our Junior shooters could not see the targets.  I high-tailed it over to the campground and grabbed an entry step stool so the young man was able to shoot the stage.

Accommodate where ever possible.  To quote Bill & Ted..."Be Excellent To Each Other".  It's who we are supposed to be.

I agree, that is awesome!  If he still wants to shoot, let him.  His Pards want him to shoot and will be there for him, that’s awesome.  SASS makes allowances as long as the shooter is safe.  So I my humble opinion, let him

shoot and let him have some fun. 

Querida #63039

Faultline Shootist Society 

Coyote Valley Cowboys

The people in this sport are awesome. A couple of years ago I had a mild stroke, and now I am battling Parkinson's, and most of the time I use a cane due to balance issues. I can't count the number of times when people have insisted on moving long guns for me and helping me get through a stage

Shortly after my stroke, I was gonna cancel a shoot in SD, but they insisted that I come anyway if I was up to it. I told them I would try, and they said to text shortly before I got there. When I pulled in, about six guys met me and insisted on setting up my little camper for me. I thought I would end up hanging out and watching the match and maybe spot for the weekend, but I discovered they had assigned a young man to be my "caddie" for the weekend, moving my cart and long guns for the weekend. Obviously, I was slow, but with their help, I was able to finish the match. Then, while visiting and waiting on the awards, unknown to me, they hooked up the camper and I was surprised to see I was ready to roll when I got there.

The last couple of years have been challenging. The people in this sport keep me fighting

everything possible should be done to enable a shooter,,, need I say more....

53 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Come for the shooting, stay for the people

Imis

Amen! Not trying to be dramatic, but after everything I went through in the last two years, I would have given up if it wasn't for my cowboy shooters across the region. Checking in, helping me at shoots, and making sure that I don't isolate

I broke both legs in 2006 bad enough that the ER docs wanted to do an emergency amputation. It took me a day or so to get back from that. I shot with a walker then a cane. The help and encouragement that my pards gave me to be able to shoot I can never repay. I used to get questioned about wearing tennis shoes once in a while. It's pretty well known now that if I'm in them I'm really having a bad day. No more questions.

Matthew Duncan posted a video of me shooting in another thread about the Super Stage. You'll notice that I ain't runnin!^_^

Local clubs here all make allowances to keep our members shooting. From Assistance carrying long guns to special categories when they cannot shoot all 4 guns to driving them to and from the matches. Whatever it takes.

We don't consider it bending over backwards, It is just part of what we do for our friends.

He should shoot if he wants to and let it be known that we all want him to. We will do everything humanly possible to help and accommodate him. Encourage him to read this thread. Keep shootin'!

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

We don't consider it bending over backwards, It is just part of what we do for our friends.

I know.

THAT is what makes SASS SO special.

You ARE bending over backwards but it's natural. And that's what makes it great.

I've shot with a lady in a wheelchair, a double amputee, a shooter with no trigger finger, all sorts of maladies. If a person wants to shoot, there are MANY clubs that will make any adjustments necessary to accommodate them.  All  that's required is showing up. This is truly a sport for anyone as long as they have the desire to shoot and are capable of safe gun handling. 

I shoot 2 or 3 Kentucky State matches where one of the guys had only one hand but had a magnet attached to his left arm that went to a metal strip on the forearm to hold the long guns.  I was glad to see him shooting, not the fastest but faster than me.

Just this past week on a phone call with Buck D. Law I relayed to him how we have an older gentleman who has Parkinson’s and needs help on the stages.  The only problem we’ve had were the fights that broke out on who got to help him next.  When you see the face of someone that gets to shoot with any kind of handicap it makes everything you do worth the effort.  There but for the Grace of God goes I.

7 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

The only problem we’ve had were the fights that broke out on who got to help him next.  

THAT'S the SASS I know and love

Archived