SASS Wire Forum

30 years ago today. 9/17/90

Charlie Harley, #14153

I walked out of the personnel office at Bleidorn Kaserne, discharge papers and DD214 in hand, and began the rest of my life. 

To this day, leaving the Army has been my decision with most second guesses, but it was a painful lesson learned.   I’ve tried to share with other young soldiers, and they’ve not repeated it. So goes life. 

Drinks on me ‘till closing. 

Smartest thing I have ever done or ever will do is staying in till I had 20 years.  The cost benefits of retiree medical are worth it.  

Right now a medicare supplement will cost the typical retiree about $1000 per person per month plus their medicare part B and part D premiums. Depending on the plan you pay for you will also have co-pays to budget for.

A military retiree eligible for medicare will only pay their part B premium and nothing else. Only co-pays are for prescriptions picked up at a local pharmacy and a few select name brands via mail order.

I figure that my retiree medical is worth north of $25,000 a year for the wife and I. That is a lot of peanuts.

Danged if it isn't my 50th anniversary of leaving! My options were limited when I decided to leave. The war was winding down. A RIF was coming and as an OCS commissioned officer wiothout a degree I would have been one of the first to be shown the door. I considered getting out and getting my degree finsished, then re joining but with a newlywed wife and the need to put food on the table I chose to fold my tent. Mixed emotions that day. And as I look at the calender I see it was exactly 50 years ago today. Time flies. I look back, not with regret, after all these years. Just nostalgia I guess.

29 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Smartest thing I have ever done or ever will do is staying in till I had 20 years.  The cost benefits of retiree medical are worth it.  

Right now a medicare supplement will cost the typical retiree about $1000 per person per month plus their medicare part B and part D premiums. Depending on the plan you pay for you will also have co-pays to budget for.

A military retiree eligible for medicare will only pay their part B premium and nothing else. Only co-pays are for prescriptions picked up at a local pharmacy and a few select name brands via mail order.

I figure that my retiree medical is worth north of $25,000 a year for the wife and I. That is a lot of peanuts.

The total cost of our supplemental policies, B, D, F and dental is far less than half that. Our out of pocket is almost nil. 

Aug. 31, 1970 50 years ago was on my way to basic, Sept. 17, 1976 44 years ago today my little girl was born for me.:)

3 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I walked out of the personnel office at Bleidorn Kaserne, discharge papers and DD214 in hand, and began the rest of my life. 

To this day, leaving the Army has been my decision with most second guesses, but it was a painful lesson learned.   I’ve tried to share with other young soldiers, and they’ve not repeated it. So goes life. 

Drinks on me ‘till closing. 

My father, also an Academy graduate, said as much to me about 10 years after he left the Navy. He died in '83, a relatively young man just days after his 56th birthday. Miss him.

:FlagAm:

Archived