SASS Wire Forum

Shooting with a Colostomy bag?

Missouri Marshal SASS #50682

Is there anyone out there that shoots with a colostomy bag?  How do you dress? How do you do your holsters?  I'm still recovering from the surgery but I'm trying to figure how it can be done with out obstructing the colostomy bag.  I think that would be a bad thing.  If you don't want to post here I understand.  Please PM me or send me an email at missourimarshal@cox.net  Thanks.

I don't wear a bag, but Bubba & I make adjustments for shooters when needed.

If there ever was a good reason to stage your pistols, this is it!

No danger of impediment on the bag if you stage.

--Dawg

There are shooters that wear bags. Usually they will inform the MD and if they have to leave the posse in order to care for their device it's not a problem.

Depending on the shooter the bags don't seem to interfere with movement or shooting.

One of the GREATEST reasons I love SASS as a whole is that we bend over backwards to help people who want to shoot.

This thread highlights it.

THANK YOU!!!

my uncle had cancer 55 yrs ago that would require a bag,,,  somehow he learned how to control it without a bag,,, he covered the "spot" with a band aid,, he said he should have bought stock, and usually once a day he would disappear into the bathroom, or the woods,  and "empty" his innards.   he never used a bag until Alzheimer got him and he ended up in extended care...

nowadays he could have had an info commercial on his "discovery"...

he lived to 80 too,  and did this for nearly 50 yrs

My FIL had a colostomy bag. He wore bib overalls to SASS matches and staged his guns on the table. No holsters. He also didn't shoot the shotgun but I assume the shells could be staged as well.

Thank you for posting this.  So far I have avoided it but may be just a step away.  Had wondered about it but since I was not there yet had not posted.

Good luck in your healing and in your future prognosis.

Shouldn't be much of a problem, I've been shooting with one for 13 years. I wouldn't use a cross draw due to the grip location, I'm right handed. I use a shell holder on my gun belt for the shotgun shells. A shotgun belt wouldn't be a good idea because of where it crosses your stomach. I get to dress just like everyone, not a problem. Had a colostomy for 17 years, small price to pay for being alive. You will get used to it, and won't even think about. Good luck.

We have a fellow in our club in that situation. He uses a Shoulder rig on that side and a straight hang on the other. Works out just fine. 

Snakebite

If anyone shooting with us has an issue preventing the use of holsters, we just set up a table to stage their guns.

We feel it's The Cowboy Way.

Just need to make a wooden block to hold it :D

Hang is there Pard, you’ll be in my prayers! 

One of our shooters has one and does well with it. . He has a set of suspender dedicated to holding the belt.

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouraging words.  I think if I have lower waisted pants I can wear them below the bag, wear the bag horizontal in a colostomy belt and then the shotgun belt can be above the bag.  It will be above the belly button but I don't see anyone having a problem with that.

If you want, I have a used canvas slip on 12 gauge slide that would just need a strap of some kind to look pretty good as a bandolier. If you want to try it, shoot me a PM.

Archived