SASS Wire Forum

Demand for Guns Overwhelming FBI Background Check System

Charlie T Waite

The current demand for guns in America is so great that the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Checks System (NICS) is giving a higher number of delays and, in many cases, allowing the sale to be completed because time for the check expires.

A NICS check is designed to take only minutes, ideally being “instant.” However, there are cases where the FBI reviewers do not immediately find the records they need so they have an option to delay the check, giving reviewers three business days to complete it. If, after three days, they still have not found incriminating records on the would-be buyer, the sale is allowed to proceed.

This means there are three possible outcomes to an NICS check: 1. Pass (good to go). 2. Delay (three business days added for check). 3. Fail (can either occur instantly or during the three day extended review).

Reuters reported there was a “54 percent increase in the number of background checks that were delayed past three days in … March through July.” And over five percent of those delays lasted longer than three days.

Overall, the number of NICS checks conducted March 2020 through July 2020 was up 93 percent, when compared to the same time period in 2019.

Breitbart News reported that August was the eighth consecutive month for record background checks for gun sales. Beginning with January 2020 and proceeding through August, each month has set a record for the most checks conducted in its respective month.

For example, January 2020 set the all-time record for background checks in the month of January, February 2020 set the record for the most checks in the month of February, March 2020 the most for the month of March, and so on.

Breitbart News reported National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) figures showing there were nearly five million first-time gun buyers who made purchases amid the surge in retail gun sales, January 2020 through July 2020. Many of these purchasers were from demographics the establishment media does not typically tie to gun purchases.

Yahoo Sports reported that NSSF isolated and examined the first six months of 2020 and found that gun purchases by black men and women were up 58 percent over what they were during the first six months of 2019.

Forbes reported that the Department of Justice responded to the surge in gun sales by requesting “more enforcement resources” in May. That request included asking for “more staff to help conduct background checks.”

AWR Hawkins is an award-winning Second Amendment columnist for Breitbart News and the writer/curator of Down Range with AWR Hawkins, a weekly newsletter focused on all things Second Amendment, also for Breitbart News. He is the political analyst for Armed American Radio. Follow him on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him at awrhawkins@breitbart.com. You can sign up to get Down Range at breitbart.com/downrange.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/09/15/demand-for-guns-overwhelming-fbi-background-check-system/

C19 and demand are both bogging everything down by a huge degree.

I placed on order for a rifle on 9/11.
The vendor says 15 business days to even process the order, due to C19.
Of course... they immediately charged my card...

Then comes 4~5 days of shipping from UT to CA.
Because of high demand, my FFL takes about 5 days from receipt, until he gets it on his books.
Then, I can start the DROS paper work and request the background check ($50 and $40 respectively).

The NICS background check is bogged down, so it will take 4~5 days for the results to come back.
After that, my FFL takes a few days to get it on his books.
Once the background check completes, the mandatory CA 10-day waiting period begins.

After the 10 days has ended, I may/may not have additional FFL delays for pickup.

I truly hope to take possession of the new rifle before the election on 11/3.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

C19 and demand are both bogging everything down by a huge degree.

I placed on order for a rifle on 9/11.
... 15 business days to even process the order
Then comes 4~5 days of shipping from UT to CA.
... FFL takes about 5 days from receipt, until he gets it on his books.
Then, I can start the DROS paper work and request the background check
The NICS background check ... will take 4~5 days
... FFL takes a few days to get it on his books.
Once the background check completes, the mandatory CA 10-day waiting period begins.

So the 10 day "cooling off" period is to prevent a crime of passion, but did not start when you ordered the gun?

I hope the millions of new gun owners (many of which voted for and supported these measures) are having a serious rethink! I'm sure they did not think any of this would ever apply to them, since they are all law-abiding citizens and these rules were supposed to only apply to... well... not them.

If I remember correctly, the 10-day wait does not start until the background check is completed and entered into the FFL's books.
In 2019, I accumulated 170+ days of CA waiting periods while gathering our cowboy guns.

The 10-day (soon to be 30 day) period is intended entirely to make buying a gun as difficult as possible, while skirting by the "infringement" wording of the 2A.

I did get some good news today.. in addition to Trump being able to now replace Ginsberg on the SCOTUS...
My rifle has shipped well ahead of the 15 day processing time for the order.
It will hit my FFL on 9/23, so I get to start the next leg(s) of this PITA process.

Here in CA... using the word "voter" and the word "think" in the same sentence is an oxymoron.
We have millions of zero-liability voters here... the hippies and button sellers on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley..
They will vote for anything that gives them a handout.
Free rent, free phone, free medical, free child care, free medical care... in exchange for their vote.

Archived