SASS Wire Forum

Necco wafers

My favorite BB gun targets From when I was a kid are back on the market. A few years ago I read that they were stopping making Necco wafers. I remember wondering what kids were going to shoot at with their BB guns if necco wafers weren’t around. I just bought some, they are being made again!  Taste just the same. I may need to get out the Red Ryder and blow apart some Necco wafers!!

They are my mothers favorite candy.

She was terribly upset when they were discontinued.

She lit up like a sissy in a boys home when she heard they were coming back!

14 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I remember wondering what kids were going to shoot at with their BB guns if necco wafers weren’t around.

Mini Ritz Crackers work well. So do Cheese Its (sp?).  If you're good - Skittles.

4 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Neccos are just like pistol primers ... they disappear periodically ... (government buys them all up or something). 

When they are available you have to make sure to stockpile several cans. -_-

necco.thumb.jpg.339b984dc03c3fd64bd7186df832c5b1.jpg

Neccos were/are made in MA.  They shut down about 2 years ago, but the business was later purchased and re-opened this year.  

LL

1 minute ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Neccos are just like pistol primers ... they disappear periodically ... (government buys them all up or something). 

NECCO went out of business a while back.  It's too bad, too, since they were one of the oldest candy companies in the US (founded in 1847) still in existence.  The founder is the guy that invented the lozenge cutting machine.  The recipe and the name got bought by another company (Spangler, if I remember correctly) and they put them back into production.

They were also the folks that made the 'conversation hearts' candy that's so popular around Valentine's Day.

4 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

I didn’t know Neccos came in a can. Wax paper rolls in the grocery checkout aisle is the only way I’ve ever seen them. 

3 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I didn’t know Neccos came in a can. Wax paper rolls in the grocery checkout aisle is the only way I’ve ever seen them. 

The cans were full of the "regular" wax paper rolls of Neccos ... not loose. 

They make great (reloading) bullet cans too ... (but that's academic now because there are no primers!!) ..

neccoAA.thumb.jpg.ac66bc5dc63a2d7d2890d04592e23b97.jpg 

Some might find this somewhat sacrilegious, and I cringed a bit the first time, but unconsecrated communion wafers.  Bottle of 1000 for about $15.  They are 1.125 inches in diameter, will break down nicely in the soil, and not attract ants the way shattered NECCOs do.

No sacrilege to it, good Subdeacon: they are not consecrated, therefore they are simply ... wafers.

6 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

No sacrilege to it, good Subdeacon: they are not consecrated, therefore they are simply ... wafers.

Yeah.  Intellectually I know that.  BUT....

that first time shooting at one was HARD!  9 years of Catholic School training, don't you know.

Saw them for sale on Amazon.

Didn't see one in a round metal container, but in a 24 pack box, and the rolls individually wrapped.

Too bad they can't make a Twinkie that tastes good. They are as dry as a year-old cow chip, and the filling is tasteless.

I remember when they were big, and moist, and super good.

The future ain't what it used to be.

Waxahachie, you speak truly indeed!
They are now exactly as you describe, and they used to be exactly as you describe!

Archived