SASS Wire Forum

Calling family

Alpo

When you call some member of the family on the telephone, do you tell them who it is?

"Hi Mama, this is Alpo."

Why would I do that? My mama knew my voice.

It's a television thing. I'm currently watching season 9 of NCIS, this is the end of that lousy episode with Lily Tomlin in it, and McGee makes a phone call and says, "Hi Dad. It's me, Tim". I'm thinking the masculine voice calling him dad would be a big clue that it was his son.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

When you call some member of the family on the telephone, do you tell them who it is?

"Hi Mama, this is Alpo."

Why would I do that? My mama knew my voice.

It's a television thing. I'm currently watching season 9 of NCIS, this is the end of that lousy episode with Lily Tomlin in it, and McGee makes a phone call and says, "Hi Dad. It's me, Tim". I'm thinking the masculine voice calling him dad would be a big clue that it was his son.

Might have been one of several sons.

I just respond to their greeting with, "Hey," and start talking about what ever the call was made to discuss.

Unless I want to screw with them, then I mumble that I want to speak to Gene. 

(Family joke.  My folks got a wrong number call at least once a week from the same old black man asking for Gene for 20-25 years.  Sometimes, it was 2 or 3 in a day.  Come to find out, Gene's number is almost identical to ours- except the last 2 numbers are inverted.)

Thanks to Caller ID, I also get to answer the phone when they call with, "____ County Coroner's Office, how may I direct your call," delivered in a business-bored tone like I say it 1000 times a day, on occasion.  I've also been known to mimic the voice one the  default message on the answering machine and tell that no one here cares about their call and that, at the tone, they need to hang up and call someone else.  Then, I hit a button to make a tone.  When one of my nieces calls me, I answer with "Ahoy, hoy?" like Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

4 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

no, I typically do not state my name to family.

Hey, mom.  She had only one.  Hey, Babe.  She has only one mom.

20 hours ago, Waymore Loco said:

It's almost rare to get a phone call now. Our kids just text us.

That is why I have a flip phone and do not text...But there is voicemail...Home phone landline...No voice mail or machine....Wife did not like them and we never put one in....

Texas Lizard

Archived