SASS Wire Forum

Feelin a bit down

Utah Bob #35998

A friend reminded me of a fallen buddy. Jim Gribbin. I served with him in the 10th SFG in Germany in 68. He was sent to the 5th Group in Vietnam in 70 and I went to the 1st Cav. He was KIA in July of ‘70. Hell of a good guy and great leader. Only the good die young. RIP, Jim. De Oppresso Liber

:( :FlagAm:

https://www.virtualwall.org/dg/GribbinJM01a.htm

CPT James M. Gribbin was assigned to Detachment B-20, 2nd Mobile Strike Force Command, B Company, 5th Special Forces Group. CPT Gribbin was the Team Leader of Detachment A-204, a MIKE Force battalion of Montagnard soldiers based out of Kontum. His three companies conducted reconnaissance missions where they gathered intelligence, reported on enemy buildups, and interdicted and engaged North Vietnamese Army units. On March 17, 1970, they were in the fifth day of a battalion-sized search and destroy operation in Kontum Provice in the Ben Het area of operations. That morning the three companies, operating within about a mile of each other, had been resupplied by helicopter. Evidently, the resupply chopper drew the attention of the NVA who dispatched a team of about five to investigate. While cresting the top of a ridge, the point element of the company Gribbin was traveling with came into contact with the NVA team and exchanged gunfire. The NVA fled down the other side, and contact was lost. Gribbin instructed a squad to set up an ambush with a Claymore mine in case they returned. Meanwhile, Gribbin’s company ascended the ridge to sweep the area. Around midday, the NVA returned and the ambush team blew the Claymore. They reported to Gribbin that the blast killed and wounded some of the enemy. Gribbin accompanied a unit to go back to investigate. While nearing the point of contact, Gribbin reportedly rose up and charged the ambush site. A wounded NVA soldier fired at him, hitting Gribbin in both arms and twice in the inner thigh. Another American with Gribbin fired the shotgun he was carrying and killed the NVA. Gribbin was taken up to the ridge where his wounds were treated, he was given morphine, and a medivac was called. The medivac, however, was delayed close to one hour. When it finally arrived, a jungle penetrator was dropped through the triple-canopy foliage, and Gribbin and a wounded radioman were hoisted up to the waiting helicopter. The operation continued, and the next day they received word that Gribbin had succumbed to his wounds. It was later determined that a major artery had been severed by the thigh wounds causing him to bleed internally, and Gribbin was dead on arrival to the Army field hospital in Pleiku. He was posthumously awarded a Silver Star medal for his actions.

9 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A friend reminded me of a fallen buddy. Jim Gribbin. I served with him in the 10th SFG in Germany in 68. He was sent to the 5th Group in Vietnam in 70 and I went to the 1st Cav. He was KIA in July of ‘70. Hell of a good guy and great leader. Only the good die young. RIP, Jim. De Oppresso Liber

Sometimes even all these years later our hearts still feel the touch.

12 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

From and Army and Marine vet, Semper fi ,my friend.  May you rest well.

Some things are like fresh wounds, even 50 years later. It is hard to believe my friend has been gone 10 years, a victim of PTSD. The snippet neglected to say he was shot down twice during rescue missions.

William ‘Mike’ Dunsmore

February 7, 2010 By Ben Sclair

Mike was an Army helicopter pilot. He flew Huey’s in the Vietnam War and continued on in a variety of helicopter flying assignments to include being the commander’s pilot for the 2d Army Cavalry Regiment in Germany and for I Corps at Fort Lewis. At the end of the Fort Lewis assignment, Mike retired as a Chief Warrant Officer (CWO4).

... now that's proper!

Good Subdeacon, thank you!

We are richer for having known such men as have been mentioned here!

Archived