SASS Wire Forum

Things to do in Amarillo?

Charlie Harley, #14153

Continuing a thread from a month or so ago, we are taking a family trip and hiking the Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas Panhandle. We will be staying in Amarillo for a Friday and Saturday night in November.

Is there something unique and interesting that we should do while there? A restaurant, bar, or historical place?

If you have a ‘healthy’ appetite, visit the Big Texan Steak House. They have a challenge that if you can eat their 72 oz. steak, all the sides and the whole drink in one hour or less, the entire meal is on the house. You even get a t-shirt and your picture up on their wall of fame.

I hiked in Palo Duro canyon when I was there a few years ago. November should be good hiking weather for you.

The only other thing I can suggest is what was suggested to me by one of the locals...

’Drive East on the Interstate for about 10-15 miles, until you come to one of the overpasses that carries the I-40 over one of the cross roads. Pull over on the overpass, lay a dime on the ground and stand on it and y’all be able to see Dallas’.
Have a great trip!

41 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

One thing to do.  During the early morning, go out to your pickup, and stand on the top of it, and look toward the horizon.

It is so flat out there, that you can see the back of your own head.

Spot on!!! Just shared that with my sister who used to live in Lubbock. :D

I usually eat at Dyers BBQ on Georgia St. just north of I-40.  You could stop at Long Hunters and buy a gun.  I have some co-workers who always make a stop at Braum's Ice Cream. 

When I had a job there, we mostly went to hole in the wall restaurants and got pretty good steak.  The Big Texan is a nice place, but it might be the worst steaks in town.  When I was there, they would give you a free order of rocky mountain oysters if you had a hunting license.  Neither me nor my buddy wanted any part of that so we got fried mushrooms instead.  Then my buddy ate an oddly shaped one started to look pale when he realized it wasn't a mushroom.  The waitress assured us it was impossible to mix up mushrooms and rocky mountain oysters because the rocky mountain oysters looked ... well looked exactly like what buddy had eaten. 

The night I was there they had 2 people taking the challenge AND a live band. 

The Quarterhorse Museum is worthwhile.

The Big Texan is very touristy and has good food. I always liked their steaks but you can fill up on their appetizer tray.  

Go to a Braums, they have great burgers and their banana splits are the best in America.

Duffield

10 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Spot on!!! Just shared that with my sister who used to live in Lubbock. :D

Lubbock is so flat you can watch yer dog run away for 2 days.

JHC :lol:

Check out the Plains museum in Canyon just south of Amarillo. Also the Charles Goodnight homestead and museum is about 35 miles south of Amarillo down 287. Pretty nice buffalo store there also. Couple of good restaurants and antique shops on historic route 66 (6th street). The Texas Tumbleweeds shoot on the first and second Saturdays of the month and 2 different matches in Pampa 60 (miles east) on the 3rd and 4th Saturdays. The 3rd Saturday match is at  Howlin Wolf's place, the new home of Mernickle Leather.

Jax T

13 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

The Quarterhorse Museum is worthwhile.

The Big Texan is very touristy and has good food. I always liked their steaks but you can fill up on their appetizer tray.  

Go to a Braums, they have great burgers and their banana splits are the best in America.

Duffield

image.png.866c8cece6123527099838f749ed3f8c.png

46 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

image.png.866c8cece6123527099838f749ed3f8c.png

Don't look Tennessee!

Archived