SASS Wire Forum
Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

Is anybody an espresso lover? Do you make it at home? How?

I used to have an Espresso  machine. That is how I made it. I no longer have that machine. I just  make strong coffee now.

The machine would heat and pressurize the water through the little adapter that held the finely ground coffee. I do not think you can safely make Espresso without that process and without a machine. I may be wrong and would love to find out that I am. I would like to know how  to make  it without the machine. :)

I use an inexpensive espresso pot like THIS ONE, and it works great.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Every house I was ever in in Spain had at least one of these. Some had several different sizes depending on how many cups they wanted to make. They can also be found in just about every Italian household.

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dt2Tp0T.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I have one of them Eyetalian espresso makers. Espressos. lattes, Cappuccinos, etc. Not too much of a learning curve.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Every house I was ever in in Spain had at least one of these. Some had several different sizes depending on how many cups they wanted to make. They can also be found in just about every Italian household.

I also have one of these, works great!

• Like 1

Yup... I gots one too.   ^_^

5022261d-b20a-48cf-bd87-ad181d2f5916_1.e13134fc5c58a9ed3a9bf511198d728b.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Yup... I gots one too.   ^_^

5022261d-b20a-48cf-bd87-ad181d2f5916_1.e13134fc5c58a9ed3a9bf511198d728b.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

I suppose I need to get one. I have a machine, but we are limited on counter space, so it stays put away. Hence, I don't use it often. Mrs. Doc and my daughters got me one of the Ninja Coffee Bar systems that does a reasonable job, although not a true espresso. It can even froth warm milk. I also have a mini stovetop espresso maker for camping.

• Like 1

My son bought me a one cup or less mini expresso device for use when I am camping - two cups of that are you are fairly well wired for the day.

STL Suomi

• Like 1

2 hours ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

My son bought me a one cup or less mini expresso device for use when I am camping -

two cups of that are you are fairly well wired for the day.

STL Suomi

Really?

coffee-addict.jpg?resize=440%2C400&ssl=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

I have a couple of macchinettas* given to me years ago when I drank a double cap before driving to work.  The giver of the gifts is a 1st generation Italian American couple.  The reason for the gift was so I could make expresso at a family cabin that is off the grid in N. CA.  After I retired & moved to Dead Broke Ranch I quit drinking cappuccinos; because of limited counter space.  Not enough room for the drip coffee maker & the Starbucks Barista expresso machine.  I tried to convince the misses to drink cafe americano.  She wasn't convinced.  The Barista is on a shelf in my shop/garage building.  If I ever get around to building a man cave in it I'll set it up so, I can enjoy cappuccinos.

* Single & double sizes.

P.S. The Barista is bullet proof; because, it doesn't have any printed circuit boards in it only good old fashion switches.  The Barista is still prized & you can by them used on the internet.  The machine I had before had a circuit board & it died when the solder connecting the power relay contacts to the PCB circuit foils crystalized creating a bad connection which generated heat which carbonized the board.

6 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Ah! I forgot about those. Thanks. 

Error occured delete

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

On 9/16/2020 at 3:46 PM, Dutch Wheeler said:

I lived in Miami for 35 years (34 1/2 years toooo long!), and down there you can get a shot of espresso (cafecito) in just about every third street corner.  I (we) got hooked on the stuff.  I own one of these percolators and use it frequently and so does my daughter.  We have family dinners every sunday and my daughter always finishes with a "cafecito".  She does not even have to ask me if I want one, it's a given!

A Turkish saying:

"Coffee should be black as coal,

hot as the fires of Hell and sweet as a stolen kiss."

Once as we had apprehended a particularly violent parolee, my Boss commented to him "The only reason you're still sucking air is Collier had decaf this morning."

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

A Turkish saying:

"Coffee should be black as coal,

hot as the fires of Hell and sweet as a stolen kiss."

In Spanish that goes:

"El cafe hay que tomarlo

Negro como la noche,

Caliente como el infierno,

Y dulce como el amor!"

It probably goes like that in several other languages and all ring true!

• Like 2

If you don't have the time to brew a cup of Espresso, you could always grab a handful of chocolate covered Espresso beans!

The average cup of coffee contains 95 milligrams of caffeine, but the average serving of chocolate covered espresso beans has 150-175 milligrams!

Dark Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

If you don't have the time to brew a cup of Espresso, you could always grab a handful of chocolate covered Espresso beans!

The average cup of coffee contains 95 milligrams of caffeine, but the average serving of chocolate covered espresso beans has 150-175 milligrams!

Dark Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans

I had some of those a long time ago and I think they had to scrape me off of the ceiling with a spatula!

• Haha 2

image.png.063d8038d3646842ea9782d391609168.png

I like these for making a strong cup if I have access to a hot water source (like the office coffee machine with a hot water spigot on the front).  these are used in former French colonies in Asia.  Milk was usually hard to come by so these are traditionally brewed straight into a cup of ice and sweetened condensed milk.  I usually substitute with ice cream.  if you want strong iced coffee that doesn't taste watered down, this is the way to go.  you can find these makers around for about $5, pick up a few if you are going to be making for more than yourself as they only do 1 cup at a time and take about 4 minutes to brew.