SASS Wire Forum

Protocol question

Perro Del Diablo

I broke my right wrist in boxing class as a cadet. Cast covered the hand and thumb and went to the elbow, but the elbow articulated.  The ortho doctor told me to salute with my left hand.  Sounded simple enough.

Left the hospital, passed a major on the way to the bus stop, saluted with my left hand, and got chewed on because “saluting with the left hand was a sign of disrespect when the right hand could still render a semblance of a salute”.  Okay, so maybe the cast allowed my fingers in sort of close proximity like they would be when held normally to the brow.  The thumb at 90 degrees might poke my eye out in the process, but lesson learned and boarded the bus.

Got back to the barracks area, passed a captain, rendered a salute while avoiding poking my eye out, and got chewed on for “showing disrespect by rendering a salute with anything but a crisp clean hand gesture”.  I should have used my left hand or simply rendered a verbal greeting given the state of my carpals and cast.

One vote right hand.  One vote left or verbal.

Spent the rest of the day rendering salutes in various combinations and permutations of left, right, and verbal, all the while documenting responses of returned salutes or verbal corrections.  After exhaustive research and tallying results, data showed that the major and captain were assholes, because everyone else acknowledged my compromised state and returned the salute, regardless of how I rendered mine.

53 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I broke my right wrist in boxing class as a cadet. Cast covered the hand and thumb and went to the elbow, but the elbow articulated.  The ortho doctor told me to salute with my left hand.  Sounded simple enough.

Left the hospital, passed a major on the way to the bus stop, saluted with my left hand, and got chewed on because “saluting with the left hand was a sign of disrespect when the right hand could still render a semblance of a salute”.  Okay, so maybe the cast allowed my fingers in sort of close proximity like they would be when held normally to the brow.  The thumb at 90 degrees might poke my eye out in the process, but lesson learned and boarded the bus.

Got back to the barracks area, passed a captain, rendered a salute while avoiding poking my eye out, and got chewed on for “showing disrespect by rendering a salute with anything but a crisp clean hand gesture”.  I should have used my left hand or simply rendered a verbal greeting given the state of my carpals and cast.

One vote right hand.  One vote left or verbal.

Spent the rest of the day rendering salutes in various combinations and permutations of left, right, and verbal, all the while documenting responses of returned salutes or verbal corrections.  After exhaustive research and tallying results, data showed that the major and captain were assholes, because everyone else acknowledged my compromised state and returned the salute, regardless of how I rendered mine.

Major was in the wrong because of medical advice for you to salute left handed. The captain was a.. but correct  However probably still chewed you out if you used left hand.

I had my right arm in a sling due to an infection - got molybdenum grease in a deep cut. Hand swelled up like a balloon.

I rendered left handed salutes for a couple of  days while my arm was in a sling. No officer said anything negative regarding my salutes. One Commander actually complimented me on knowing protocol.

Being a veteran I withheld my answer.  But there is another one not yet mentioned.  When holding a guidon and passing a superior officer, one salutes by crossing the left hand horizontally across the chest with the fingers and thumb extended and joined.  

58 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Being a veteran I withheld my answer.  But there is another one not yet mentioned.  When holding a guidon and passing a superior officer, one salutes by crossing the left hand horizontally across the chest with the fingers and thumb extended and joined.  

Yep. Forgot about this one.

Archived