SASS Wire Forum

Brass SG Shell Reloading with a MEC Sizemaster

Tequila Shooter

This is my first attempt at making a video, and as you’ll see it’s definitely NOT professional.  That said, there are two things I’m hoping for, that it’ll help someone and that your criticism will take that into account

Great video. Pretty much how I do mine with a couple of exceptions. I've cut a couple of plastic powder bottle 3-4 ins. from the bottom and use them as a powder and shot container. Dipping from them is a lot easier, for me. I've also used a couple of the "old' brass shells. The ones that used to use berdan primers. Before they changed them over to LP primers. I've cut them down to the amount of powder and shot needed , soldered a handle on them. Now I've got ready made dippers. I've tried wood glue, waterglass and duco cement, all broke seals.  I found those cheap hot glue guns from Wally World did the trick. Haven't broken a seal yet. I reload 10 and 12 ga. I use the MEC Jr. to deprime, prime and seat wads. I've got over 200 cases an when I get down to about 50 shells or so I start reloading. I've got 3 of the 50 hole reloading blocks. It's like a production sometimes. I do like you ,,, pop the primers and wet clean. Well ,,,, have fun, YMMV ! Oh, side note. Watching the video, about 31/2 mins. in , your dog barked ,, scared the heck out of me ,,, I must have jumped about a foot in my chair. :D

Thank you, a very nice video. One hing, you were a little low on the volume at first, the setting after you shut off the compressor was much easier to hear.

3 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Great video. Out of curiosity what's the purpose of the overshot card under the shot? 

TFJ - the overshot card provides a solid base for the shot, without that the shot would embed in the wad when you press the final overshot card.

1 hour ago, DeaconKC said:

Thank you, a very nice video. One hing, you were a little low on the volume at first, the setting after you shut off the compressor was much easier to hear.

I noticed that, but my lovely wife was taking the video and I didn’t want to ask her to do another take B)

2 hours ago, Isom Dart, SASS#8096 said:

Great video. Pretty much how I do mine with a couple of exceptions. I've cut a couple of plastic powder bottle 3-4 ins. from the bottom and use them as a powder and shot container. Dipping from them is a lot easier, for me. I've also used a couple of the "old' brass shells. The ones that used to use berdan primers. Before they changed them over to LP primers. I've cut them down to the amount of powder and shot needed , soldered a handle on them. Now I've got ready made dippers. I've tried wood glue, waterglass and duco cement, all broke seals.  I found those cheap hot glue guns from Wally World did the trick. Haven't broken a seal yet. I reload 10 and 12 ga. I use the MEC Jr. to deprime, prime and seat wads. I've got over 200 cases an when I get down to about 50 shells or so I start reloading. I've got 3 of the 50 hole reloading blocks. It's like a production sometimes. I do like you ,,, pop the primers and wet clean. Well ,,,, have fun, YMMV ! Oh, side note. Watching the video, about 31/2 mins. in , your dog barked ,, scared the heck out of me ,,, I must have jumped about a foot in my chair. :D

Sorry about the dog, Lucy surprised both of us too.  :D

8 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Great video. Out of curiosity what's the purpose of the overshot card under the shot? 

My question is why 2 cushion wads. That is almost exactly the way I load my muzzleloading shotgun but I only use 1 cushion wad. And I don't load a shell, I load straight into the barrels. :rolleyes:

Nice video....Was also wondering why the 2nd cushion wad. Our technique is pretty similar. I use a 1 ounce square load of goex ff which I drop using a Lyman bp measure so that is set for the amount. To seal them I have found the hotmelt technique works well except for the little stringy thingers I get sometimes. Sadly my 87 does not like them at all. I will have to look into that conversion thing for large primers for the mec jr. When I load plastic hulls I do everything on the mec including the powder. But I seat the nitro card through the fingers push it down enough to get it started and place the wad then push them both in at the same time then drop the shot. My mec is older so it has the red fingers, am not sure if that would really matter.

Thats my 2 cents worth

Hochbauer

2 hours ago, The Verdigris Kid said:

My question is why 2 cushion wads. That is almost exactly the way I load my muzzleloading shotgun but I only use 1 cushion wad. And I don't load a shell, I load straight into the barrels. :rolleyes:

When I started I patterned different combinations of powder/wad/shot and this combo works well for me.  Also, as you can see in the video even with 2 wads there is still a ton of room in the shell.

TFJ - the overshot card provides a solid base for the shot, without that the shot would embed in the wad when you press the final overshot card.

There is no need to press the over shot card into place - just hand set it on top of the shot  and glue the card in place

13 minutes ago, John Boy said:

There is no need to press the over shot card into place - just hand set it on top of the shot  and glue the card in place

I would think if you did that it wouldn’t compress the components and the shot would be loose.  Sometimes even when I compress the overshot card you can still hear that the shot is a little loose.  I’m glad that placing and glueing is working for you.  :FlagAm:

On 9/16/2020 at 6:27 PM, The Verdigris Kid said:

On 9/16/2020 at 9:15 PM, Tequila Shooter said:

When I started I patterned different combinations of powder/wad/shot and this combo works well for me.  Also, as you can see in the video even with 2 wads there is still a ton of room in the shell.

I am very close to loading up some MagTech shells, and been doing a lot of reading.

The reason a thick(er) wad stack may be needed is to bridge the distance between the case mouth and the barrel entry (forcing cone?). From what I have been reading, the wad stack makes a seal preventing (reducing) expanding gasses from getting around the wad and into the shot, which makes for a better pattern. The wad stack needs to enter the barrel before it leaves the shell case.

Also read MagTech shells are a little shorter than what the box says, have not measured mine yet.

Anyway, that is book-learning with no experience doing it as yet, but it makes sense. Will watch your video this weekend.

Archived