SASS Wire Forum

Looking for 200grain 44-40 big lube mold

Dusty Tucker

I have never filled out one of these before, this is my first time. I am currently seeking a 200 grain projectile  I can size down to .429 round flat nose with a big lube groove mold for black powder in my 44-40 lever action 1866. I live in Canada and I am having a hard time finding this mold. The "MAV Dutchman" is no longer available. 

Screenshot_20200915_150411.jpg

The 43-205M holds more lube. It's what my daughter and I use. FWIW the bullet you show hasn't been available for a while, the last MAV mould I bought had a smaller lube groove.

And the Big lube website says "out of stock", not "no longer available".

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few options from Accurate Molds. http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=14 

As a reference, look first at the 43-215C. It was designed after the Lyman 427098 but utilizing a large lube groove for black powder. You can choose any existing design and have it modified to your liking or you can design your own.

For CAS you probably want the 43-205C, it better replicates the large flat point you are looking for with a large lube groove.

Except the 205c has a shorter nose, which means toggle action rifles will have to push the cartridge back into the tube when levering a new round. So, IMHO, the 205m or the 210g would be a smoother feeding round, with the 205m holding more lube, better in some longer rifles.  The 215c would work fine also, but it is heavier, making it a better choice for longer range shooting. I see no advantage with a larger flat point for SASS shooting, maybe for hunting it would be better. Accurate Molds has many choices for you, and are one of the best quality mold makers out there. There is no one perfect bullet, you just need to decide on your needs and choose accordingly.

I just ordered one and got it back in 8 days, just last week. I am slowly replacing all my higher volume LEE 6 cav's with Accurate Molds.

Archived