SASS Wire Forum

Win 1873 357 24" barrel

stef75

Hi fellas,  I found one of these by calling around stores, there are none in stock at our distributors anymore. With the current situation no one is sure how much miroku and uberti will be shipping for the forseeable future. So I was considering adding it to the collection. Anyone onw one of these? I assume the quality is as good as  Uberti? Was also wondering if there are any slugging measurements for winchester's 357 barrels. Seems to be one spec I cannot find anywhere online, whether they are .357, 358 etc.

lastly I am assuming they are pretty COAL dependant like most 357's.  No running short 38 specials etc. Thanks for any comments.

Toggle link guns can be tuned to handle .38 specials very well.  And, long nosed bullets can be used in .38 special cases for the real "tough nuts" guns.  They are less OAL dependent than many pivoting carrier guns.

Shoot .358 sized bullet when running lead slugs.   Most jacketed will be 0.357" diameter.  The barrel groove diameters are VERY consistent on these - slugging the barrel will almost always show 0.357"

Quality was discussed when you asked this a couple days ago.

24" barrels are not the favorite of many.  Big tall fellers handle them best.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks GJ, I like the sound of it. Price is  steep, 1700 in USD but a lot of things have jumped up in cost since Covid started. Things arent going to get any better to my thinking so I might jump on it. On that note still waiting for the local single action ranges here to start accepting members again. You can go along and watch, but not sign up yet. Was intending to make a start in the game earlier this year, was about a month too late.

I used to have a Miroku Win 94AE in .357 magnum, since the 94 and 73 lifters are different, I don't want to speak to cycling OAL on a 73, but my gun could cycle cartridges with an OAL equal to 360 Dan Wesson and could chamber cartridges with an OAL equal to .357 MAXIMUM.  both of those were using .357 Magnum brass.  if you need a long bullet to load in a 38 special case to give closer to magnum oal, I like the Lee 358-200-rf... still wish I had my 94, it was just too pretty for me and I felt sick every time I took it to the range and shot it and found a scratch or something on it when I got home.  as far as diameter, I'd shoot .357 jacketed bullets just fine and as cast with powder coat bullets in it, final sizing of the bullet before firing was handled by my lee factory crimp die, so not actually sure what the final dia on my cast bullets was, but that's one way to approach it if you want to experiment a bit.

CupAJoe

The miroku's generally have better workmanship than uberti's new, nicer wood ,fit and tend to have a shorter stroke. The ones I have cycle 38spl rounds very well in various lengths and configurations.

Stef75

There was a '66 Yellowboy for sale in the SASS classifieds for maybe

3-4 months.. decent pricing but it had a 24" barrel..

I realize it's not a '73 but.. I thought the reasoning for

it not selling was the 24" barrel.. 

The seller kept lowering the price and it finally sold..

Barrels can be shortened but if you really want a 24" barrel.. Get it..

If ya don't really want one?? I wouldn't buy one..

Rance ;)

Just my thoughts..

1 hour ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Stef75

There was a '66 Yellowboy for sale in the SASS classifieds for maybe

3-4 months.. decent pricing but it had a 24" barrel..

I realize it's not a '73 but.. I thought the reasoning for

it not selling was the 24" barrel.. 

The seller kept lowering the price and it finally sold..

Barrels can be shortened but if you really want a 24" barrel.. Get it..

If ya don't really want one?? I wouldn't buy one..

Rance ;)

Just my thoughts..

I'm the one that bought that rifle. I personally prefer the longer barrels especially on stages that have multiple shots on a target as the longer barrels seem to me to hang on target easier.

I currently have a M92 Rossi .45 round barrel carbine and a Mirkou/Winchester '73 short rifle .357 round barrel both with 20" barrels, my other rifles are a 24" Uberti Henry, the above mentioned '66 and a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited all in .45. I also have a '66 Carbine in .45 colt with 20" round barrel incoming that I am still waiting on shipping info for.

Then I would be able to have both '66s on my cart and use the short one for multi target transition stages and the longer for multiple rounds on target stages. :D

Thanks fellas. I tend to like the longer guns, I'm 6'3 but 6'8" wingspan,  my ancestors took longer coming down out of the trees. Also easier on the ears.

I shoot a 66 Sporting Rifle 24.5 inch barrel in .38-40 , this is by far my favorite ...

I also have a 24 inch 92 ...

Jabez Cowboy 

Archived