Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chert Rock Chuck

SASS Wire purchases for resale. Poor form?

Recommended Posts

 Is it considered poor form to make purchases here on the wire classifieds and list them for resale on the Wire Classifieds or Merchants Corner?

 Seems it happens at times and strikes me as a disservice to the fellow cowboys searching for CAS deals here that are otherwise only available at large events or from retailers.

 Fair play? Gold fever?

 

Chert Rock

Edited by Chertrock Chuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've got me confused.

The 'Wire' is not used to sell or buy anything.    But, the Classifieds and Merchants Corner are solely used to sell, buy, trade, etc......

 

..........Widder

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the one hand, it might be bad form, but on the other, once you buy something it is yours to do with as you see fit, including reselling it.

Somewhat akin to how I felt that the CMP should mind their own business instead of complaining when people were reselling 1911's on Gunbroker.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

You've got me confused.

The 'Wire' is not used to sell or buy anything.    But, the Classifieds and Merchants Corner are solely used to sell, buy, trade, etc......

 

..........Widder

 

You are correct.

Seems I neglected to add “classified” at first mention.

Surely it’s understood what was meant?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not looking to take a beating, just asking for opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO it's first come, first served. What the buyer does with it after is strictly up to them. If you feel as though someone isn't playing fair, don't go to their game.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's look at it this way. You have an item to sell and are asking $100.00 for it and a offer to buy it is made by someone you know will resell it. Would you sell it to someone else for less money because you know they will not resell it, at least for awhile? Almost every used firearm sold on the classified section and merchants corner was owned by someone else that sold them for a price they were comfortable with, or they wouldn't have sold them. Then they were played with for awhile, maybe some work done on them, maybe the love affair with that gun didn't last. Then they were again put up for sale. That is the cycle of used guns in most shooting venues. So if you have an item for sale and someone offers to buy it at your price, what difference does it make what they may or may not do with the item.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see @Chertrock Chuck point.  If someone buys something off of the SASS classifieds as the seller I would hope they try it, use it, then if they don’t like it go ahead and resell that item (at little to no profit).  I would find it disappointing to see a someone to buy from the classified section only to turn around and list for sale in either the merchant or wire classifieds.  The difficulty is in if the person is buying just for resale or if they are truly buying for personal use.  I’d like to think that pards aren’t here trying to make a profit off of others. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I can see @Chertrock Chuck point.  If someone buys something off of the SASS classifieds as the seller I would hope they try it, use it, then if they don’t like it go ahead and resell that item (at little to no profit).  I would find it disappointing to see a someone to buy from the classified section only to turn around and list for sale in either the merchant or wire classifieds.  The difficulty is in if the person is buying just for resale or if they are truly buying for personal use.  I’d like to think that pards aren’t here trying to make a profit off of others. 

This is my point exactly.

At some point we all will purchase items we ultimately find we don’t need or want.

 But when it is done with the intent to profit it seems anything other than what most would consider to be”the cowboy way”.

  Didn’t expect witty criticisms of the topic, but ultimately, this is the internet I guess.

 Apparently the short answer is  no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intent is very hard to prove, unless the buyer admits it.  I give them the benefit of the doubt.

 

Most people I've met here are the opposite; they give discounts or even free items to SASS pards.  Heck, one member here saw my post about needing primers and offered to sell me a couple thousand for what he paid for them several years ago...much less than going rate!  So now I try to do the same.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree 100% that anybody can buy, I have seen items that were priced below market(or free), seller even says hopes a new sass shooter can use it. Then see it snapped up by a known re-seller for a profit. That didn’t seem quite right. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

Let's look at it this way. You have an item to sell and are asking $100.00 for it and a offer to buy it is made by someone you know will resell it. Would you sell it to someone else for less money because you know they will not resell it, at least for awhile? Almost every used firearm sold on the classified section and merchants corner was owned by someone else that sold them for a price they were comfortable with, or they wouldn't have sold them. Then they were played with for awhile, maybe some work done on them, maybe the love affair with that gun didn't last. Then they were again put up for sale. That is the cycle of used guns in most shooting venues. So if you have an item for sale and someone offers to buy it at your price, what difference does it make what they may or may not do with the item.

 

I'm gonna agree with Outlaw Gambler and add a different perspective.

Without knowing details of his business, he has made offers to many of us to buy our model 97 shotguns.

He tries to keep a good stock of 97's with various degrees of  quality, but mostly high quality.   He's got A LOT of HIS money invested.

 

Then, a Cowboy like me comes along and needs (or wants) another 97 and nobody is selling on the Classifieds.   BUT, I can call OutLaw

Gambler and be able to basically hand pick a quality 97 because of his efforts to stock them.   AND, I would also have the option of choosing

a Winchester brand or an IAC brand.    Many of us have our preferences.

 

Because of these efforts of our 'Merchants', we are more likely to find stuff we are wanting with less efforts.   AND, many of these things are

of good, dependable quality.   Their 'business' is basically our pleasure.  

 

..........Widder

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes DJ we do have some mighty nice AND benevolent sources showing up on the classifieds BUT then there are a lot of us SASS pards that do have intentions in mind.  I guess the best way to interpret the intent of this is to ask if someone jumps on a free offer that specifies to help someone out and less than five minutes go by before it is claimed, only to be sold shortly after.  We do not all think alike, for every benevolent heart there is one that travels a different path.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Moderators (volunteers) can't easily determine intent.

 

However, there are some people (including Moderators) who frequent the Classifieds and who report things that seem contrary to the intent of the Classifieds, a non-commercial forum. If they notice someone who frequently buys and resells merchandize (or claims free stuff and resells it), which would seem "commercial," they are likely to report it.

 

Then, the Moderators may research the person's posts in the Classifieds and issue a Warning, if warranted.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its complicated.    

   I put  up a rifle a few years back.   A cowboy gave a big sob story about getting back into sass and not having the money to pay full price.    So I let him have it for way below what I was asking.     Feeling good about helping a fellow shooter.    Only to see him 2 days later at a match  sell the same rifle for $700 more than he paid me for it.   With about 30 other guns on his table and a bunch more in the trailer.

 

   A lot of us mark guns lower than we would normally would sell it for, just to help out  the sport.     If it bothers you that someone is just trying to flip for a profit. Dont sell to dealers.

 

  

    

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m ok with people reselling. Many times I’ve pulled up the classifieds and seen where I missed something I would have liked to have purchased and most of the time I would have been willing to pay more for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Its complicated.    

   I put  up a rifle a few years back.   A cowboy gave a big sob story about getting back into sass and not having the money to pay full price.    So I let him have it for way below what I was asking.     Feeling good about helping a fellow shooter.    Only to see him 2 days later at a match  sell the same rifle for $700 more than he paid me for it.   With about 30 other guns on his table and a bunch more in the trailer.

 

   A lot of us mark guns lower than we would normally would sell it for, just to help out  the sport.     If it bothers you that someone is just trying to flip for a profit. Dont sell to dealers.

 

  

    

Did you ask him with his table full of guns for sale why he claimed poverty and gave you the sob story? What was his excuse? You usually don't get the chance in a situation like this to within a couple of days run across the liar.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Its complicated.    

   I put  up a rifle a few years back.   A cowboy gave a big sob story about getting back into sass and not having the money to pay full price.    So I let him have it for way below what I was asking.     Feeling good about helping a fellow shooter.    Only to see him 2 days later at a match  sell the same rifle for $700 more than he paid me for it.   With about 30 other guns on his table and a bunch more in the trailer.

 

   A lot of us mark guns lower than we would normally would sell it for, just to help out  the sport.     If it bothers you that someone is just trying to flip for a profit. Dont sell to dealers.

 

  

    

I’m certain that sellers are almost always  unaware  a dealer is buying their items as inventory.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chertrock Chuck said:

Not looking to take a beating, just asking for opinions.

   In my opinion, what somebody does with something after they buy it from me is none of my business. When we put something on the classifieds, we as sellers are required to put OUR price on OUR merchandise. A person may purchase that item, then it is THEIR item to do as THEY wish. If I sell my item for the 100 dollars I asked for it and that person sells it for 200 dollars, I am glad they made 100 bucks and I'm glad I sold it for what I wanted out of it. Some feel THAT is the cowboy way. I definitely wouldn't call it not the cowboy way when someone does buy and resell. We luckily have a free market here. Somebody may need to pay their light bill and is glad for the help from someone buying their sale items. Just my opinion, and no it doesn't include someone nabbing free stuff to resell or someone giving a sob story to get something cheaper.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's their money to do with as they please. If they want to buy something to resell at a profit they can. Is it in bad taste in some places? Maybe, but if that's how they make a living who am I to judge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

It's their money to do with as they please. If they want to buy something to resell at a profit they can. Is it in bad taste in some places? Maybe, but if that's how they make a living who am I to judge. 

 

That way of making a living appears to be commercial, which is not allowed on the Classifieds Forum.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if I buy something at a real good price and want to make some money it's bad taste? Hmmm...seems to me it's called capitalism. It happens everyday!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

 

That way of making a living appears to be commercial, which is not allowed on the Classifieds Forum.

 

Happens here all the time.

Something I noticed quite some time ago.

Those that do so, normally buy and sell under different names.

Edited by Chertrock Chuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

 

That way of making a living appears to be commercial, which is not allowed on the Classifieds Forum.

 

Allie, I love you. And, I don't want to agree with TFJ! But, nobody said  making a living at it. Also, commercial as it relates to our classifieds leaves a bit open for interpretation but doesn't really have anything to do with the original post imo. Because someone may make a dollar doesn't mean the are in business just as it doesn't mean a company that has a loss for the year was not in business.:wub:

Edited by Tennessee williams
Almost forgot my heart!
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will buy stuff (not necessary off Classified) that I recognize is underpriced and use for traiding stock or resale.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

It's their money to do with as they please. If they want to buy something to resell at a profit they can. Is it in bad taste in some places? Maybe, but if that's how they make a living who am I to judge. 

 

7 minutes ago, Chertrock Chuck said:

Happens here all the time.

Something I noticed quite some time ago.

Those that do so, normally buy and sell under different names.

Report it if you are so inclined. I'm not inclined to look.

 

5 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Allie, I love you. And, I don't want to agree with TFJ! But, nobody said  making a living at it. Also, commercial as it relates to our classifieds leaves a bit open for interpretation but doesn't really have anything to do with the original post imo. Because someone may make a dollar doesn't mean the are in business just as it doesn't mean a company that has a loss for the year was not in business.

Aw :wub:

Reread TFJ's post.

 

The intent of this Classified Forum is for the sale of things bought for personal use, not bought for resale.  There is nothing in the guidelines negating a profit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

 

The intent of this Classified Forum is for the sale of things bought for personal use, not bought for resale.  

 

 I don't see that as one of the terms of use. I would agree that if someone were buying items and then reselling on the classifieds that would be against the rules. But to buy the item, then sell as a vendor in the Merchants forum would seem to not be restricted by rule, regardless of how it makes some feel about it happening.

 

"The SASS Wire Classified is for NON-COMMERCIAL POSTINGS ONLY. Offers on the Classifieds may only be posted by a SASS Member (you may not post for someone else), in good standing, and must include his/her SASS Number. Offers posted by Guests or Members not including thier SASS Number will be deleted. You may not sell reloaded ammunition. Commercial Posts from merchants or dealers will be deleted and repeat offenders will be banned from the SASS Wire. Auctions, raffles and fundraisers are not allowed and will be removed immediately. SASS in no way endorses or guarantees any information posted on this page. Postings will automatically be deleted after one week. ***BE INFORMED*** It is mandatory that all firearms sales are done through the proper FFL channels. Other agencies read this Wire and you are strongly advised to abide by the law. If you are not sure of the laws for firearm sales and transfers, learn before you buy or sell."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My comment was to say that typically purchases are made using a personal SASS alias, then listed in a merchants corner account. To me, this in and of itself is indicative of an attempt to mask intent.

 Is it wrong? A matter of opinion I suppose, mine being it is poor form.

 Is it allowed? I looked for anything to indicate it is or not and found nothing that would forbid it.

 I just feel it is not very ethical to watch the ads with an eagle eye to snatch up every good buy on the things that shooters shop for here.

 I appreciate all the opinions expressed, whether I agree or not. I feel it is something that was worth discussion.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intent has nothing to do with it.  The guidelines are posted at the top of the Classified.  It says that Merchants are prohibited from posting, but nothing says that merchants cannot buy to resale, or that the purchaser is expected to use the purchase for 2 weeks before reselling.  This is a place to sell stuff... to anybody who wants to buy it, for whatever use they want to use it for.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

 

Report it if you are so inclined. I'm not inclined to look.

 

Aw :wub:

Reread TFJ's post.

 

The intent of this Classified Forum is for the sale of things bought for personal use, not bought for resale.  There is nothing in the guidelines negating a profit.

I did just see the making a living thing on there. It snuck by me! But, the classified guidelines keep, well are supposed to keep merchants from selling on there. Not buying. They have their own area for selling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until SASS says otherwise, at this time there is nothing to prevent a merchant from adjusting their settings to "follow" the Classifieds and swooping in and snagging a good deal.

 

If they turn around and the list it for sale at a higher price, nothing's stopping them.

 

But, there is nothing to stop you from doing the same thing.  As with any ad, anywhere else, it's whoever shows up first with cash in hand.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I do see a difference between a standard offer for sale and someone pleading poverty saying they're just trying to get back into SASS shooting begging for a "pard" to help him out. Then turning around and selling it in a couple of days.

 

I guess people can just forget helping new shooters or people trying to get a new junior shooter set  up by offering a gun at a lower price then they could receive.  Then people will complain about that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

26 minutes ago, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

But, there is nothing to stop you from doing the same thing.  As with any ad, anywhere else, it's whoever shows up first with cash in hand.

 

 

Nothing but the law

 

https://www.atf.gov/file/100871/download

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Did you ask him with his table full of guns for sale why he claimed poverty and gave you the sob story? What was his excuse? You usually don't get the chance in a situation like this to within a couple of days run across the liar.

  Life is too short to worry about losers like that.   If someone has that low of integrity, anything I say wouldn't make a difference.    I see it as a learning experience and make sure I never do business with him.   Although I haven't seen him in years so it's not a big deal either way  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.