SASS Wire Forum

SASS Wire purchases for resale. Poor form?

Chert Rock Chuck

I once took two pickup loads to the flea market. My (now) ex and I spent the first half hour each standing in a bed of a truck selling right out of the trucks.

Then we set up our stalls. A few hours later, we each got to take a break to look around the flea market. We saw a lot of our stuff for sale at other stalls at higher prices than we sold them for.

No problem, we did get what we wanted. We did not have to take any of that stuff home at the end of the day. Some of the vendors who bought our stuff might have made a profit, or they might have hauled extra stuff home to try again on another weekend.

As to ethics, I had no problem with that weekend at the flea market.

As to ethics, I would have a problem with a sob story of limited funds and baby needs diapers and then find the stroller I sold is now for sale a few stalls over. Well, I'm sure the baby does need diapers and my stroller might make it possible to make a few bucks for diapers... But if the buyer was representing to me the only way he could afford the stroller and still buy diapers was to offer me less... The buyer was demonstrating he really not only needed diapers but also this stroller for his baby... And now the stroller is for sale a few booths away... That would be unethical in my book.

So circling back to some other posts here. If a merchant who does not hide being a merchant (does not have to disclose it, just not hide it) buys something I posted for the price I posted it for... Well dang, maybe I should have priced higher. But it is done. It is not unethical.

But if that merchant gives me a story which later turns out to be totally fake... The rules here prevent me from calling it out but I will never do business with that individual again.

I think such cases must be rare, my history here is that I would gladly deal with every member I have already dealt with; I hope they would all deal with me again too.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived