SASS Wire Forum

SASS Wire purchases for resale. Poor form?

Chert Rock Chuck

14 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Just an FYI:

It's not legal to buy and sell firearms with the intent of making a profit... Unless you have an FFL... In fact it's a requirement for having an FFL.

This doesn't compute. You mean it is possible to buy a gun and then turn around and sell it for more money that it was bought for??? I don't remember this ever happening to me. If I'm lucky I break even. Most of the time I find out I overpaid in the first place. I assume buying a firearm and losing money in the sale is not a concern of the ATF.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Maybe, the rules of the forum could be changed to add, if you have any questions, ask them on-line, in public. That way every potential buyer could benefit from knowing the answer. If you are begging for a lower price, the answer would apply to all.

I agree but if you ask tough questions that brings up issues with the firearm you'll have your motives questioned. Then you'll be accused of trying to drive the price down or scare off other buyers.

The system is imperfect but I have not seen one that is.

14 minutes ago, Cholla said:

This doesn't compute. You mean it is possible to buy a gun and then turn around and sell it for more money that it was bought for??? I don't remember this ever happening to me. If I'm lucky I break even. Most of the time I find out I overpaid in the first place. I assume buying a firearm and losing money in the sale is not a concern of the ATF.

I'm going to assume that your question is rhetorical.

13 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm going to assume that your question is rhetorical.

You assumed correctly. It was a facetious remark meant to induce humor. Obviously I failed...again.

I inquired with the ATF about getting an ffl. They asked me if I was doing it to make a living, had a business for it and all kinds of stuff. I told them it was a hobby to better my collection. I told them sometimes I make a few bucks and sometimes I break even, but I try not to lose any. Told them one time I bought 27 from a guy down in Cornersville. I told them I sold 7 or 8 to another fellow. They told me I didn't need one and don't forget to pay my sales tax. Most folks don't know, even if you have a garage sale you've got to (supposed to)pay the sales tax for however much you sell. I sat up at a gunshow next to a couple of our local ATF agents another time. Real nice folks. I sold one of them a real pretty A.H. Fox double. After I checked his license and asked him if he was a felon of course.

On 9/15/2020 at 9:43 AM, evil dogooder said:

Its complicated.    

I put  up a rifle a few years back.   A cowboy gave a big sob story about getting back into sass and not having the money to pay full price.    So I let him have it for way below what I was asking.     Feeling good about helping a fellow shooter.    Only to see him 2 days later at a match  sell the same rifle for $700 more than he paid me for it.   With about 30 other guns on his table and a bunch more in the trailer.

A lot of us mark guns lower than we would normally would sell it for, just to help out  the sport.     If it bothers you that someone is just trying to flip for a profit. Dont sell to dealers.

I would consider that fraud and would go to great lengths to tell as many folks as I could that he was unethical.

On 9/15/2020 at 9:43 AM, evil dogooder said:

8 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Just an FYI:

It's not legal to buy and sell firearms with the intent of making a profit... Unless you have an FFL... In fact it's a requirement for having an FFL.

I did not know that! Good thing I’m not involved in buying and reselling anymore and haven’t been for years.

10 hours ago, Cholla said:

You assumed correctly. It was a facetious remark meant to induce humor. Obviously I failed...again.

Nah you didn't fail.  Phantom has no sense of humor.   :D

In my mind, if a poster says “first I’ll take it, gets it” then a buyer asking a question assumes the risk that someone else may buy it no questions asked. 

ive seen items that I was interested in, but not at the quoted price. I typically send a OM with my offer. If somebody says I’ll take it at posted price I respect sellers right to sell it to him. 

16 minutes ago, Hoss said:

In my mind, if a poster says “first I’ll take it, gets it” then a buyer asking a question assumes the risk that someone else may buy it no questions asked. 

ive seen items that I was interested in, but not at the quoted price. I typically send a OM with my offer. If somebody says I’ll take it at posted price I respect sellers right to sell it to him. 

Ta Daaaa!!;)

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Wouldn't that make it an auction, if someone could make an offer that was accepted for less than the stated price? Especially if it was done privately?

No offence meant. I've long felt that the Classifieds could be better defined. I've had many questions about the forum. Usually, I asked Doc Faraday and his word was gold.

4 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Wouldn't that make it an auction, if someone could make an offer that was accepted for less than the stated price? Especially if it was done privately?

No offence meant. I've long felt that the Classifieds could be better defined. I've had many questions about the forum. Usually, I asked Doc Faraday and his word was gold.

No offense taken!

i would send my PM offer as I am interested in your item at $xx. If you don’t get any other offers let me know.

Seller can leave it listed, reduce price to something between what I am offering and original asking price, make a counteroffer, or sell it. In my mind doing it via PM gives others the chance to buy it at asking price anytime prior to us making a deal. 

37 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

29 minutes ago, Hoss said:

No offense taken!

i would send my PM offer as I am interested in your item at $xx. If you don’t get any other offers let me know.

Seller can leave it listed, reduce price to something between what I am offering and original asking price, make a counteroffer, or sell it. In my mind doing it via PM gives others the chance to buy it at asking price anytime prior to us making a deal. 

I'm not questioning your actions as they seem to be within the rules. I guess I just thought that, if the seller accepted your offer for less than the posted price, it would make the sale an auction.

Again, I don't understand what is okay in the Classifieds and had many questions about them.

Asking a question does not put a sale item "on hold".  Tough.  It's the first person that says, "I'll take it",  that gets it.

When I have an item for sale, I might get a number of questions, answer them, and never hear further.  I should stop any sales in the hope that someone who asked a question might buy?

I also expect that it might get gone when I am the one asking the question.  

Huh? Why was this moved to the Saloon?

It doesn't seem to belong in a forum described as follows, "The SASS Wire Saloon is the Social Gathering Spot to discuss topics not directly related to shooting in SASS Cowboy Action Shooting." IMO, it relates directly to "Cowboy Action Shooting."

BTW, I just noticed that the SASS Wire Forum has the following rule in its introduction, "Users are allowed only one registration. Multiple registrations will be deleted without notice. " So, that seems to answer an earlier question/comment and prohibits someone from using one ID on the Classified Forum and another on the Merchant Corner Forum.

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I'm not questioning your actions as they seem to be within the rules. I guess I just thought that, if the seller accepted your offer for less than the posted price, it would make the sale an auction.

Again, I don't understand what is okay in the Classifieds and had many questions about them.

I'd call that "haggling", or "dickering" over a set price.  An auction would be when two, or more, fellers keep pushing the price up by outbidding each other.  The price in an auction is fluid and you can't just say "I'll take it" at some previously discussed price.  It does make me smile a bit at the thought of two fellers bidding:  "$73.00", "I'll give you $64.00"  "I bid $60.00 even"  :D

Angus

9 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I'd call that "haggling", or "dickering" over a set price.  An auction would be when two, or more, fellers keep pushing the price up by outbidding each other.  The price in an auction is fluid and you can't just say "I'll take it" at some previously discussed price.  It does make me smile a bit at the thought of two fellers bidding:  "$73.00", "I'll give you $64.00"  "I bid $60.00 even"  :D

Angus

So, if someone is willing to pay $65 and the seller agrees, privately, to accept $64, that wouldn't be a private auction? Please, help me out here.

29 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

So, if someone is willing to pay $65 and the seller agrees, privately, to accept $64, that wouldn't be a private auction? Please, help me out here.

EX: I'm willing to pay you your asked for price of $65 for your hat, and you agree (privately or publicly) to sell the hat to Alpo for $64.

I do not know the dictionary definition of an auction, but, I'd say you and Alpo had dickered over your asked for price.  You said $65, he said $55.  You said $72, he countered with $62.  You counter offered $64 and he agreed.  SOLD to that rascal Alpo for $64.  Sounds like a typical Garage Sale discussion to me.

Just because you discussed different prices doesn't make it an auction.  If you had stuck to your original asking price of $65 telling that dirty-dog Alpo "Take it or leave it."  Would that still, to you, make it an auction?

Q:  Did I tell you I'd pay you $65 for your hat before, or after, you agreed to sell your hat to that pole-cat Alpo for $64?

If not - too bad, so sad.  Angus was late for the party. I should have spoken up earlier.

If so -shame on you for undercutting me to that good-for-nothing Alpo.  (What!?  Does he have some dirt on you?)

An auction - "I've got Ms. Allie's hat here.  What'll ya give me for it?  Do I hear $150?  You know it's a bargain at twice the price."  Alpo - "I'll give you $10."  "Shame on you Alpo for such an insulting low bid.  Anybody serious out there?"  Angus - "I'll give you $53"  "That's a little better, but still low"  Alpo -"$60"  "Now we're getting somewhere"  Angus -"$65"   "$65 going to Angus.  Once, twice..."   Alpo - "$64"   "SOLD to Alpo for $64!"      Angus - "????  what just happened there?"

I hope that helps explain my take on the question.

Angus

Disclaimer:  No Alpos were hurt in the writing of this post.  I understand he's got a good sense of humor.

If I'm asking a question on something for sale, it's about condition, modifications, or to clarify what the item really is. Some of the photos and descriptions are not very clear. 

3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

He wants the bees in her bonnet?

Allie, an example of an auction would be for me to put something in the classifieds and say, highest offer gets it.

An example of not an auction would be I want 800 bucks or best offer (universally understood that nobody will offer more than asking price).

If someone doesn't put the word firm in the ad, it is generally understood they will accept or at least listen to an offer.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and the multiple alias deal was apparently a misunderstanding by the OP. People that put stuff for sale on the merchants corner generally use their company name, not their cowboy alias.

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

Allie, an example of an auction would be for me to put something in the classifieds and say, highest offer gets it.

An example of not an auction would be I want 800 bucks or best offer (universally understood that nobody will offer more than asking price).

If someone doesn't put the word firm in the ad, it is generally understood they will accept or at least listen to an offer.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and the multiple alias deal was apparently a misunderstanding by the OP. People that put stuff for sale on the merchants corner generally use their company name, not their cowboy alias.

You forgot what Widder taught you! ;) Where is your :wub:

7 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I think that%’s just haggling. At an auction they have a starting price. Nothing lower than that is accepted.

Barleycorn Outfitters specializes in selling firearms for Cowboy Action shooters. So where is the very best place to find inventory on a national scale? The SASS wire classifieds.
 Of course I resell those guns. I pay SASS an advertising fee for the privilege to sell on the Merchant Corner. If someone can’t figure out that John Barleycorn owns Barleycorn Outfitters I can’t help you. Kind of sounds like sour grapes to me. I put a lot of time and effort into having guns for new shooters, and old hands alike. I also sponsor shoots. 

I’m very proud of the service I provide, and in return they have given me the ability to to take my family to SASS events all over the country. 

9 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Howdy Miss Allie, lets say Hoss has that hat for sale (1st I'll Take It) for $6.00. I call him on the phone and tell him "I don't want that ugly hat band on that hat" I'll give you $5 bucks and you keep the hat band". Hoss says "well, you give me $5 bucks and then buy me an RC Cola next time I see you". "ok" "ok". Now, I still have go to classifieds and post an "I'll Take It" so Hoss can mark it SOLD. If while we were haggling on the phone (or PM) and someone posted an I'll Take It first, then that's the end. They get the hat and the ugly band.;) 

By the way, we now have our neighbors cat:wub: First one I ever liked:) 

Allie my dear, :wub:

TN Williams is a true Southern Gentleman, but a Widder he ain't.  :lol:

But I'll share this secret with you about him.   Of all the hobbies/professions that us Cowboy shooters might possess,

he is one of the rare breeds.   He is a Blacksmith.   Yep, a true Blacksmith.

He ain't a gunsmith or tunesmith (can't play a guitar), but he is a good Blacksmith.

P.S - I'm healing.   Slow process.

:wub:

...........Widder

9 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Barleycorn Outfitters specializes in selling firearms for Cowboy Action shooters. So where is the very best place to find inventory on a national scale? The SASS wire classifieds.
 Of course I resell those guns. I pay SASS an advertising fee for the privilege to sell on the Merchant Corner. If someone can’t figure out that John Barleycorn owns Barleycorn Outfitters I can’t help you. Kind of sounds like sour grapes to me. I put a lot of time and effort into having guns for new shooters, and old hands alike.

I’m very proud of the service I provide, and in return they have given me the ability to to take my family to SASS events all over the country. 

There are a few Merchants like John Barleycorn who do SASS a great service..... and I might add, honorably.

I won't mention the 4-5 names I'm familiar with, but these guys invest their money, time, etc..... that helps us.

They invest their $$ to maintain an FFL.   They travel to matches and set up Vendor tents.  WE, as potential buyers, get a chance to view all

their wares, pick and choose, and even dicker about prices to get some darn good deals sometimes.

The Classifieds isn't just about the buyers getting a good deal but also the SELLER getting the price they want for their items.

And when the individual buyer doesn't step up to the plate fast enough and a Merchant gets it,  the SELLER has been satisfied.

The SELLER initiated the situation and the SELLER has been satisfied with the outcome.

..........Widder

I would also add that venders pay hundreds to $10,000 a year to advertise in the Chronicle and be in the Merchant Corner. Add that to other overhead fees to run a business. I don't see how they turn enough profit to make it worth it.

Here's how haggling works when I do it.  I see a gun that catches my interest. 

Me:  How much is that gun? 

Seller:  $450. 

I look it over and decide I want it

M:  will ya take $400? 

S:  $450 is my bottom dollar.  I was going to list it at $550. 

M:  Tell me it cost $500.  

S:  That gun's $500.  

M:  Will ya take $450 for it?  

S:  Allright I guess for you I can do that.   

And then everyone is happy and I get to take pictures and post on the wire asking for advice on my new oddball gun.  

Archived