SASS Wire Forum

Old Colt pistol

Hoss

An elderly man in my church has this. I think it’s a 1862 pocket navy. London address model. 

I’m pretty sure it’s an original Colt, 4 digit serial # all match. 

what do y’all think?

EDCDEE98-907B-419F-9DC0-FB3C4F47349C.jpeg

I'm not an expert, but I'd say 1849 Pocket pistol.  It's a five shot, but the Baby Dragoons that I've seen have square back trigger guards.  If it's truly a London model, and not a US model with steel grip frame, then maybe in London they used round trigger guards on Baby Dragoons.

49s came with five or six shot cylinders.  Pocket navies were .36 with a five shot rebated cylinder.  That is just a plain old London Model 1849.

Pocket Navy.

9whZrlsl.jpg

4 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

49s came with five or six shot cylinders.  Pocket navies were .36 with a five shot rebated cylinder.  That is just a plain old London Model 1849.

Pocket Navy.

9whZrlsl.jpg

I assumed that since he thought it wasn't a 49, that it was a 36 cal.... Where did he say it was a 31 cal??

8 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I assumed that since he thought it wasn't a 49, that it was a 36 cal.... Where did he say it was a 31 cal??

Where did he say it was a .36?  He does not know what his friend has.  The gun in the photo does not have a rebated cylinder.  It cannot be a Pocket Navy.  If it is a straight cylinder .36 it will have six chambers and it would be an 1851 Navy.

Just now, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Where did he say it was a .36?  He does not know what his friend has.  The gun in the photo does not have a rebated cylinder.  It cannot be a Pocket Navy.

I assumed since he referenced a Navy that it was a 36 Cal... That's what ya get when you don't pay attention cuz you're right on the cylinder.

1849... Unless it is a 36... Then it's an abortion.

Phantom, I love how you think! 

I really gets me when people on Cap and Ball forums don't realize that the term "Navy" in a cap gun references the caliber, not the model.  36 cal = Navy.  for Colt guns, if the water table and cylinder is straight, and it's a 36, it's an 1851 Navy (octagon barrel) or 1861 Navy (Round barrel).  If it's slightly smaller frame and a step in the water table/cylinder, and is a 36 cal, then it's a Pocket Navy.  It has nothing to do with the engraving on the cylinder.  The Remington 36 Navy doesn't have a naval scene, and it's a Navy.

Calling a modern day "replica" .44 caliber with octagon barrel a "44 cal 1851 Navy" bugs me a lot more than calling a 45 Colt a "Long Colt".

1 hour ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

Need a picture of the address on top of barrel to make a good call.  Would help if other markings were shown also.

So what's been stated is insufficient?

Phantom

Archived