SASS Wire Forum

Bayonet Identification Assistance

Moe T Vator

there are a lot of socket bayonets , the earlier had no locking rings and the 'bend' away from the path of the bullet - latter tended to have the rings that got more complicated and be straight , that said i was a commonwealth collector and am not certain what that is - US collectors will most likely indicate ours were better marked with a US , i have janzens book but it will take a long time going thru them all to figure it out , i suggest you get a copy and do the research - its half the fun , 

that is in excellent condition and probable a valuable piece , appears to have a broad arrow that leads me to believe its a commonwealth item , the WT is the makers mark i believe its a pattern 1853 - british as would have been everywhere in the world in those days but was plentiful in the US civil war , mostly on the side of the south - thus the blockade , the length makes a difference as to which model we are looking at , should be 20.4 inches overall and a blade of 17,2 inches , but .............never say always or never in collecting commonwealth , also have british & commonwealth bayonets by skennerton and richardson , another good source of info , i believe the WT stands for william tantor an austrailian mfgr but im not looking that deep on this tonight , 

they were made to fit the enfield 1853 muzzle stuffer  thru the martini enfield  cartridge rifles , 53/67/72/76/95 variants , but in 88 the brits went back to the sword bayonets for their long lees , 

Archived