SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Outlaw Travis James

Update on the Sweep Glossary

I just finished compiling and editing all the sweeps.  The document is 36 pages long, with over 13,200 words, and over 320 sweeps.  I have not completed the comparisons to consolidate like sweeps yet, but it appears that about 20-25% are similar.   This turned out to be much more involved than I first thought.  I am hoping to have it completed over the next month or so.  But, it will be well worth the wait!

I also have a very special guest writer contributing some stage writing tips, start positions section, common terms section, sweep comparison section, and much much more.  
This has been a collaborative effort with contributions from a lot of stage writers and shooters.  I am excited to have the bulk of the compilation done!

STAY TUNED FOR MORE UPDATES.

the OTJ

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I’m very interested in seeing a copy of this when it’s done. After shooting this game for over 20 years I rarely see a sweep I haven’t seen before but I’m sure there are a couple out there. 

Sweep names are very regional. It can very be frustrating during scenario reads for visitors. 

Edited by John Barleycorn, SASS #76982

That's a lot of work, Travis.

I'm sure we all appreciate your effort.

Thank you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

I’m very interested in seeing a copy of this when it’s done. After shooting this game for over 20 years I rarely see a sweep I haven’t seen before but I’m sure there are a couple out there. 

I can guarantee there are quite a few in this.  You will be surprised.  

3 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Sweep names are very regional. It can very be frustrating during scenario reads for visitors. 

I have gotten input from all over the country.  There are a lot of repeated sweeps with different names.  I am organizing it help with that.  I have also given a stage description so that if someone wants to use the sweep, they can copy the description as well so it can be explained.  Down here in Florida, most stage writers do not even say the name of the sweeps unless they are the more common ones like Nevada or Lawrence Welk.  But again, don't worry, I am trying to make it as easy as possible for the sweeps to be understood and usable. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

That's a lot of work, Travis.

I'm sure we all appreciate your effort.

Thank you.

You cannot imagine how much work, just this part has been.  I have worked at least 5 hours per week for over 2 months on it and most weeks have worked double that amount of time.  But all the work will be well worth the effort.  This thing is shaping up to quite literally be a game changer.  I know it all sounds like hype, but you will understand once it's completed.  

• Like 4

I guess I need my nose rubbed in it, but where is the link to the new, updated list?

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I guess I need my nose rubbed in it, but where is the link to the new, updated list?

I don't think he is completely done with it yet so hasn't posted a link to the completed version.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Verdigris Kid said:

I don't think he is completely done with it yet so hasn't posted a link to the completed version.

I just figured it would be a "never ending story" and you just refreshed your list from time to time.  

18 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

You cannot imagine how much work, just this part has been.  I have worked at least 5 hours per week for over 2 months on it and most weeks have worked double that amount of time.  But all the work will be well worth the effort.  This thing is shaping up to quite literally be a game changer.  I know it all sounds like hype, but you will understand once it's completed.  

OTJ is the busiest cowboy I know. Highly motivated, highly dedicated to the game.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Patience my friends.  We are still working on it.  There is still much to do yet.  But it will be worth the wait.  

4 hours ago, Chertrock Chuck said:

OTJ is the busiest cowboy I know. Highly motivated, highly dedicated to the game.

I don't sleep much so I may as well do something to pass the time.  ;)

• Haha 2