SASS Wire Forum

Update on the Sweep Glossary

The Outlaw Travis James

I just finished compiling and editing all the sweeps.  The document is 36 pages long, with over 13,200 words, and over 320 sweeps.  I have not completed the comparisons to consolidate like sweeps yet, but it appears that about 20-25% are similar.   This turned out to be much more involved than I first thought.  I am hoping to have it completed over the next month or so.  But, it will be well worth the wait!

I also have a very special guest writer contributing some stage writing tips, start positions section, common terms section, sweep comparison section, and much much more.  
This has been a collaborative effort with contributions from a lot of stage writers and shooters.  I am excited to have the bulk of the compilation done!

STAY TUNED FOR MORE UPDATES.

the OTJ

I’m very interested in seeing a copy of this when it’s done. After shooting this game for over 20 years I rarely see a sweep I haven’t seen before but I’m sure there are a couple out there. 

5 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

I’m very interested in seeing a copy of this when it’s done. After shooting this game for over 20 years I rarely see a sweep I haven’t seen before but I’m sure there are a couple out there. 

I can guarantee there are quite a few in this.  You will be surprised.  

3 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Sweep names are very regional. It can very be frustrating during scenario reads for visitors. 

I have gotten input from all over the country.  There are a lot of repeated sweeps with different names.  I am organizing it help with that.  I have also given a stage description so that if someone wants to use the sweep, they can copy the description as well so it can be explained.  Down here in Florida, most stage writers do not even say the name of the sweeps unless they are the more common ones like Nevada or Lawrence Welk.  But again, don't worry, I am trying to make it as easy as possible for the sweeps to be understood and usable. 

23 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

That's a lot of work, Travis.

I'm sure we all appreciate your effort.

Thank you.

You cannot imagine how much work, just this part has been.  I have worked at least 5 hours per week for over 2 months on it and most weeks have worked double that amount of time.  But all the work will be well worth the effort.  This thing is shaping up to quite literally be a game changer.  I know it all sounds like hype, but you will understand once it's completed.  

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I guess I need my nose rubbed in it, but where is the link to the new, updated list?

I don't think he is completely done with it yet so hasn't posted a link to the completed version.

18 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

You cannot imagine how much work, just this part has been.  I have worked at least 5 hours per week for over 2 months on it and most weeks have worked double that amount of time.  But all the work will be well worth the effort.  This thing is shaping up to quite literally be a game changer.  I know it all sounds like hype, but you will understand once it's completed.  

OTJ is the busiest cowboy I know. Highly motivated, highly dedicated to the game.

21 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I guess I need my nose rubbed in it, but where is the link to the new, updated list?

Patience my friends.  We are still working on it.  There is still much to do yet.  But it will be worth the wait.  

4 hours ago, Chertrock Chuck said:

OTJ is the busiest cowboy I know. Highly motivated, highly dedicated to the game.

I don't sleep much so I may as well do something to pass the time.  ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a question, 

I looked in a current glossary of sweeps, (rather old I might add) but couldn’t find a name for a 4 plate sweep that goes 

1-2-3-4-3-3-3-2-2-1 counting up or for the opposite side counting down 4-3-2-1-2-2-3-3-3-4? 
anyone have a name for this one? 

1 hour ago, Not Dead Ed said:

Hi, I have a question, 

I looked in a current glossary of sweeps, (rather old I might add) but couldn’t find a name for a 4 plate sweep that goes 

1-2-3-4-3-3-3-2-2-1 counting up or for the opposite side counting down 4-3-2-1-2-2-3-3-3-4? 

I'm sure it's a typo ... but you have two different sweeps here. Would be safer to just say "start from either end".

In the first example you sweep the four plates and coming back you triple tap .. double tap ... single .. (in that order) ...

In the second example you sweep the four plates and coming back you double tap ... triple tap .. single ... (in that order) ... (you reversed the triple tap / double tap sequence).

It's nice to see very "intuitive" stages for regular monthly matches ... (you don't need a book or have to spend too much time trying to figure out what you are going to do). If the match is more serious (they are charging more money so) give them a book ... they can study them beforehand.  

Actually, the backwards sweep was intentional, and not a typo.  I was trying to double tap on no. 2 and triple tap on 3  so it was easier to remember.    It kinda fell apart on plate 4 for the last shot since I ran outa Ammo...   

but do either of these have a name?    It was a countdown/ count up type of sweep...   

I'm interested.

I've been "Creating?" some different sweeps, in a minor way and I'd like to see what others have come up with, with the aim of keeping it simple, but interesting and challenging.

Thanks for the work and providing new ideas.

Of course, the length of the document and number of sweeps shows that using names is "fun" but not good for stage writing as who can remember 320 sequences!!?

I tired of the attempt at names long ago as it was shown to be a problem at many matches and merely listing the sequence is always needed other than "sweep" and "Nevada Sweep."  (So I often use the Funk and Wagner's sweep as well as the doo-wah-didly sweep.)

But having the list and spelling out the actually sequence will provide shooters great variety.

I

22 hours ago, Not Dead Ed said:

Hi, I have a question, 

If memory serves; that is a Tadpole sweep.

Love your spotters.   LOL. I would guess that 5 plates tax them, and 6 they run outa fingers on one hand?   

Love the s-asspole sweep, but there’s some charm to the tadpole jumping around.  
it’ll probably garner a boatload of procedurals when everyone loses count.  

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, OK Dirty Dan said:

@The Outlaw Travis James how's the Sweep Glossary coming along? I'm sure not the only one interested in seeing what you come up with. Thanks!

@OK Dirty Dan it is coming along.  It is a huge undertaking.  Much bigger than I thought at first.  Right now there are over 300 named sweeps.  Not sure when it will be ready.  It will be worth the wait.  

2 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

@OK Dirty Dan it is coming along.  It is a huge undertaking.  Much bigger than I thought at first.  Right now there are over 300 named sweeps.  Not sure when it will be ready.  It will be worth the wait.  

That's fantastic to hear! I'm sure it's quite a bit of effort, and that's probably why many such as myself are so interested in the outcome. Thank you for putting in this work and I look forward to seeing it!

1 minute ago, OK Dirty Dan said:

That's fantastic to hear! I'm sure it's quite a bit of effort, and that's probably why many such as myself are so interested in the outcome. Thank you for putting in this work and I look forward to seeing it!

Thanks.  I can't wait to finish it! 

• 5 weeks later...

I shoot with OTJ and have known him since he started with us at the OK Corral in Okeechobee, Florida and will testify that he has a amazing amount of energy and has really promoted SASS in Florida. I'm sure his glossary will be worth the wait. 

8 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Ok,  I'm writing stages for 2021. 

Do you have a new, updated glossary of sweeps?

I am still editing it as we speak.  Sorry for the wait but there is so much information I received that it is taking much longer than I anticipated to sort it all out.  

1 hour ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

I am still editing it as we speak.  Sorry for the wait but there is so much information I received that it is taking much longer than I anticipated to sort it all out.  

Our oldest granddaughter was an avid writer.  Younger sister said, "Yeah,  She started writing the story of her life but it was taking too long."

Sending you a PM. 

On 2/15/2021 at 2:58 PM, Geronimo Jim SASS # 21775 said:

This is a great way to get a headache!

You have no idea... 

OK y'all, another update on the glossary.

To answer all of the messages, emails, and comments in one place. 

Yes I am still working on it.  Yes I still intend on releasing it.  Yes, it is taking much longer than I expected.

But, the wait will be worth it.  I am making sure that all t's are crossed and all i's are dotted.  There is so much information to go through and organize that it is quite tedious and time consuming.  I'm also adding many other sections to the glossary so that it has become a stage writing guide, not just a list of sweeps.  

I have a very accomplished stage writer writing some tips and tricks to stage writing as well.  This section will be very informative and help ALL stage writers, not just the newer ones.

So please, be patient.  I'm trying to work on this along with all the other projects I have going on and it has slowed the process a little bit.  

So please be assured, it will be released but only when it is ready.  Thank you all for you patience and support.  

The OTJ

Archived