SASS Wire Forum

Time for some Aussie questions

Alpo

Thirty points??

"If it had not rained! If only the night of 2 November had been fine! Raining thirty points that most important night was sheer cursed bad luck."

What does "raining 30 points" mean?

And what the heck is the rabbit fence?

In January 1974 the Bureau of Meteorology made the conversion from recording rainfall and evaporation in points to millimetres (1 point = 0.254 mm, and 1 mm = 3.94 points).
Inches Points
1 inch 72 points
2 inches 144 points
3 inches 216 points
4 inches

288 points

The rabbit proof fence is Australia's answer to the Great Wall of China. Only ours keeps out rabbits not the Mongol Hordes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit-proof_fence

The State Barrier Fence of Western Australia,[1] formerly known as the Rabbit Proof Fence, the State Vermin Fence, and the Emu Fence, is a pest-exclusion fence constructed between 1901 and 1907 to keep rabbits and other agricultural pests, from the east, out of Western Australian pastoral areas.[2]

There are three fences in Western Australia: the original No. 1 Fence crosses the state from north to south, No. 2 Fence is smaller and further west, and No. 3 Fence is smaller still and runs east–west. The fences took six years to build. When completed in 1907, the rabbit-proof fence (including all three fences) stretched 2,023 miles (3,256 km). The cost to build each kilometre of fence at the time was about $250 (equivalent to $18,906 in 2018).[3]

It was more about delaying the inevitable.

It certainly slowed their movement across the country although you could probably argue that the desert area that divides East and West also contributed.

In the 1950's Myxomatosis was introduced and that pretty well stopped the rabbit plaques of the earlier decades. The Fence certainly bought the West time and avoided the extent of the damage done in the East (not the whole East but it certainly affected wide areas of the farming land available)

......... sorry but the Majors numbers don't add up ..........

1 inch of rain is made up of 100 points ..... each point is 0.254mm

1mm = about 4 points of rain

1 inch of rain = 25.4mm

please adjust your calculations to accomodate these facts  ;)

30mm of rain is a bit over 1 inch  (about 1 & 3/16")

......................... might be that the Major is using "american metrics"  :P

9 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

(the Majors metric calculations look "american metric" to me :rolleyes:)

1inch = 72 points comes from typography, perhaps just American, I don’t know.

1inch = 100 points? I don’t know the origin

This is where I got it from:

How many points is an inch of rain?
72 points

Converting inches and points
Inches Points
1 inch 72 points
2 inches 144 points
3 inches 216 points
4 inches 288 points
16 more rows

3 hours ago, Major Crimes said:
The rabbit proof fence is Australia's answer to the Great Wall of China. Only ours keeps out rabbits not the Mongol hordes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit-proof_fence

So did people in the large cities protest the fence...?   :huh:

That seems to happen a lot here in the States.   :mellow:

Thank you Major.

The book, number four in the series, is about a half-Abo Police Inspector named Napoleon Bonaparte. "Bony". Murder Down Under, 1937. Must have been a popular series. This number four is the earliest in the series I have, but the latest I have is number 26, Bony and the White Savage, from 1961.

15 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Here in the states people would protest the mass killing of rabbits.

That's because Disney and WB over-anthropomophramise bunnies. They don't know how much damage a wild critter with no natural enemies can do.  I'm surprised PETA isn't up in arms about "slaughtering" Porky Pig down in Texas and vicinity! :angry: 

20 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... looks like they were fact-checked by snopes .....   :blink:

I missed what you meant at first.

The two statements I posted came from different sites, one was about rain from BOM (Aussie Bureau of Meteorology)  and the second one must be for a different measurement also called "Points"?- ooopppsss.

Danged if I know, for me  either it rained a lot [ it pissed down !! ] or it didn't..and them rabbit fences  got quite a few Kangaroos who took a lazy jump &  had a back leg tangled up in the top strand of wire..a slow death unless a Dingo spotted an easy lunch !!

On 9/14/2020 at 3:56 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Here in the states people would protest the mass killing of rabbits.

They did it anyway.  Old timers used to tell stories about rabbit drives during the depression.  Two rows of people, when the second row was shoulder to shoulder, the first (agile men and teens) would club the rabbits.  There would be several hundred or into the thousands of rabbits when done.  The eastern people complained but wouldn’t accept the rabbits when farmers offered to drive them east instead of clubbing them.

59 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Now that richt there is funny. 

................ yep, the funny thing about it it that rabbit sitting on grass that green is absolutely NOWHERE near the rabbit-proof fence; ... 

............ no desert sand .... and way tooo much grass .....

5 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

................ yep, the funny thing about it it that rabbit sitting on grass that green is absolutely NOWHERE near the rabbit-proof fence; ... 

............ no desert sand .... and way tooo much grass .....

I thought Oz was ALL GRASSLAND AND GREEN.

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I thought Oz was ALL GRASSLAND AND GREEN.

Apart from Antarctica, Australia is the driest continent in the world. About 35 per cent of the continent receives so little rain, it is effectively desert. In total, 70 per cent of the mainland receives less than 500 millimetres of rain annually, which classes it as arid, or semi-arid.

www.ga.gov.au › national-location-information › landforms › deserts

Archived