SASS Wire Forum

Question

Waxahachie Kid #17017 L

I asked this question, in the Saloon, and now I'll ask it on the Wire.

I have a cap & ball revolver, that I states: "Replica Arms Marietta Ohio Made in Italy", in tiny letters near the wedge.

Other than a few tiny inspector's marks, on the frame, there is no, zero, nana, indication of who made this reproduction.

I bought this revolver, years ago, from Dixie Gun Works, when they carried that brand.

I know Uberti was around at that time (1967), and perhaps A.S.M., perhaps A.S.P., as was Zoli, who made the 1863 "Zouave" rifle.

I do not think Pietta was around back then, or Chiappa, or even Pedersoli.

Some of the Italian clone makers have bit the old dust.

I am thinking perhaps it could be Uberti.

I've seen these revolvers, for sale, on the gun selling sites, from time to time. They don't last long.

Just wondering if anyone knows who made them.

Thanks.

W.K.

Found this by searching "Replica Arms Ohio":

Replica Arms – Company Overview

Replica Arms was an importer of replica firearms during the 60’s and 70’s.  They were based in Marietta, OH. 

Replica Arms used Uberti as their supplier.  Their percussion models are more common than their cartridge revolvers.

Replica Arms was bought out by Navy Arms in 1975 or thereabouts.

I had a Replica Arms Colt's M1860 .44 cal.  Never shot it much, but when I did, it seemed to be well-made and accurate.  Also had an Italian-made Spiller & Burr cal. .36 imported by "Joan's Gun Shop".  As I have never been really into cap-and-ball BP shooting, I didn't shoot it much.  However, when I did, it was the most accurate c&b sixgun I ever shot.  It would continue to function without cleaning for about 3-1/2 cylinder-fulls, whereas an original Whitney Navy .36 could barely get you through a single cylinder before binding up! 

Stay well, Pards!

Archived