SASS Wire Forum

Way back machine

Utah Bob #35998

57 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

How many days to go when that was taken, Bob?

Glad you made it, by the way.

About 30 as I recall.

We Cav men were always attendant to personal hygiene and remained scrupulously clean under all conditions.:lol::lol:

This was the result of some genius at Division HQ deciding poor Utah should take two other GIs, a Kit Carson Scout, Three 105 tubes, an engineer dozer, and a platoon of RF/PF troops under an ARVN Lt, and set up a “mini firebase” north of a Phouc Vinh. Mission was to interdict VC sampans sneaking weapons down the river. Set up the base next to a logging road and tried to get the local troops to move to the river. But the possibility, however remote, of “Beau-coup VC” in the area made them reluctant to move more than a few hundred meters outside the wire. The ARVN Chung wi spent most of the time in his hammock the shade.

Only interesting thing that happened there was the discovery of an old grenade booby trap, probably left over by the French in the Indo China war, and a big Cobra that spit venom at me. 
Only shots fired were by the arty In the general direction of the river. We retired in good order 3 days later.
The ARVN Lt probably got a Cross of Gallantry out of it. :rolleyes: War is like that sometimes.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

This was the result of some genius at Division HQ deciding poor Utah should take two other GIs, a Kit Carson Scout, Three 105 tubes, an engineer dozer, and a platoon of RF/PF troops under an ARVN Lt, and set up a “mini firebase” north of a Phouc Vinh. Mission was to interdict VC sampans sneaking weapons down the river. Set up the base next to a logging road and tried to get the local troops to move to the river. But the possibility, however remote, of “Beau-coup VC” in the area made them reluctant to move more than a few unfred meters outside the wire. The ARVN Chung wi spent most of the time in his hammock the shade.

Only interesting thing that happened there was the discovery of an old grenade booby trap, probably left over by the French in the Indo China war, and a big Cobra that spit venom at me. 
Only shots fired were by the arty In the general direction of the river. We retired in good order 3 days later.
The ARVN Lt probably got a Cross of Gallantry out of it. :rolleyes: War is like that sometimes.

I guess you did not bring the Cobra home as a trophy....

Texas Lizard

3 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

I guess you did not bring the Cobra home as a trophy....

Texas Lizard

Would have needed a vacuum cleaner. :D

12 hours ago, Alpo said:

I understood all of that story except "unfred". Typo, or just a term I've never heard?

Hundred

:blink:

Archived