SASS Wire Forum

Bertram Brass vs Starline

Dusty Morningwood

A guy wants to sell me a box of NOS .50-70 brass sold by Dixie Gun Works and with DGW headstamps.  These were made by Bertram.  Seems that .50-70 brass is sold out everywhere.  The asking price is less than Dixie's $4.50 a case, but higher than the out of stock Starline.  Is Bertram worth the extra money?

1 hour ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

My experience is Betram is great brass. It’s available. Starline isn’t. If you can give me a couple days, I think I have 100 rounds of Starline but need to find it.

Sent ya a PM.

How bad do you want .50-70 brass? Frankly, I've had excellent luck with Bertram brass in some odd-ball calibers.  There appears to be one basic problem with Starline .50-70 brass...it ain't available!   Starline is good brass, although in .44-40, I prefer Winchester when I can get it.

Stay well, Pards!

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

How bad do you want .50-70 brass? Frankly, I've had excellent luck with Bertram brass in some odd-ball calibers.  There appears to be one basic problem with Starline .50-70 brass...it ain't available!   Starline is good brass, although in .44-40, I prefer Winchester when I can get it.

Stay well, Pards!

Well, .50-90 Starline brass is available. What isn't available are .50-70 trim dies.  I like using those better than mechanical or powered case trimmers.  Just have better luck that way. I would be paying $2.80 per case shipped for the Bertram.  Retails at Dixie for $4.50 per case plus shipping.

I have had bad experiences with Bertram brass , latest was with 25-21. Fifty cases and on first shooting, 38 of them split down the side.  Bertram’s are drawn cases but Rocky Mountain Cartridge cases are lathe cut, exceptionally better. So for $4.50 a case, buy them at Rocky Mountain ... https://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/products.htm

Like John Boy I have not good results using Bertram brass.

Case life was a big issure, I could count on losing about 10% of my cases before the second loading

Was able to get about 500 45-90 and 150 45-120 cases from Norma a while back and am very happy

I tried some Bertram brass several years ago for my 25-21 Stevens. The case mouths were so thin they would be damaged if you even touched them with the die when loading. Many split when shooting. At the time that was the only brass available for the 25-21 Stevens. Several years ago I found about 100 pieces of original UMC brass on Gunbroker. Most of it was of original length and in good condition. That should last as long as me.

The 25-21 is a really neat cartridge to shoot and has been been gone for a long time.

Depends on calibre and vintage of the brass usually. I used betram for big game nitro calibres in the day, it was all that was around once BELL was drying up. His brass varied in quality, generally it did okay if you didnt push it too hard, some cases were so soft you could close the case mouth with your fingers. I know he picked up contracts to supply high pressure cartridges like the 408 chey tac a few years back. They had an equipment overhaul and the quality improved. 

I ended up buying all eight boxes from the guy - 160 cases in all.  Would like to rehome some of them.:D

Archived