SASS Wire Forum

V-tail Beechcraft Bonanza

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

4-T

Same same happened over my house just three days ago.  Nifty neat.  I do happen to know a guy who has and flies one on a regular basis.  Super airplane.

PS:  When I was young and still flying, I never had the chance to fly one.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

4-T

Same same happened over my house just three days ago.  Nifty neat.  I do happen to know a guy who has and flies one on a regular basis.  Super airplane.

PS:  When I was young and still flying, I never had the chance to fly one.

A very good friend when I was stationed in Fallon NV had one. Great plane but very easy to get into trouble with during the landing phase.

We flew a lot of $100 burger runs in it. He even flew the wife and I to Rapid CIty SD one Christmas for a family emergency. 

1 hour ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

My favorite private plane of that era. Also partial to the Cessna 310D.

Imis

It predates the Bonanza by a bit, but I've always been partial to the Ercoupe. Among those aircraft built later, the Grumman Tiger, the first aircraft I ever was allowed to "take the yoke" in. If i had my private license though, and could afford one, I think I would have to buy a Cessna Skymaster, preferably an actual O-2. Hey, I've always been a bit quirky.

51 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Bonanzas are sweeeet. Flown a number of them, but never a v tail. Would have liked to fly a Mooney too. 

The V tail has very low drag and it is easy to overspeed when making an approach before dropping the gear. There were a lot a accidents when they first hit the market. My friends had wing tip tanks added as well as an extra aux tank just behind the cabin. Gave it very good range. His had a single yoke that could be rotated around a central shaft so that it could be flown from the left or right seat.

It had a significant accident rate when it first came out and was known as the Dr Killer. The the Cesna 310 also experie3nced the same high accident rate when it came out as well. The Cirrus was known as the Geek Killer for the same reason.

The Doctor Killer

In fact, that spate of accidents was part of the reason for the creation of the Beechcraft Pilot Proficiency Program (BPPP) in 1983 by the American Bonanza Society.

The BPPP offers a variety of online training, as well as flight instruction. BPPP is designed to make Beechcraft owners safer and more accomplished pilots, according to ABS officials.

Our neighbor, a Chevy dealer, had one when I was a kid and e took me up once when he was taking his son to SLC for something.

My favorite personal plane is also a Beech.  Knew a guy in California who had a D-17 "Stagger Wing".  Got a dozen or so rides in that beautiful machine.

Was down in Tn a while back and stumbled across the Beechcraft museum. Very nice little museum with many different Beech aircraft on display including a Starship. Well worth a stop. And it was right on the way to Jack Daniels distillery. 

19 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The V tail has very low drag and it is easy to overspeed when making an approach before dropping the gear. There were a lot a accidents when they first hit the market. My friends had wing tip tanks added as well as an extra aux tank just behind the cabin. Gave it very good range. His had a single yoke that could be rotated around a central shaft so that it could be flown from the left or right seat.

It had a significant accident rate when it first came out and was known as the Dr Killer. The the Cesna 310 also experie3nced the same high accident rate when it came out as well. The Cirrus was known as the Geek Killer for the same reason.

The Doctor Killer

Yup, people with money who didn't/don't understand you have to fly regularly and learn the handling characteristics & nuances of each plane. I've flown a lot of single engine planes and each one has peculiarities that can bite you in the ass and even kill you if you're not familiar and proficient with it.

As the saying goes, "The Piper Cub is the safest plane in the world. It can just barely kill you." ;)

All the airplanes I learned to fly in had a little broom handle doohickey sticking up between my knees and a loud round engine.  Don't know as I'd know what to do with an airplane with a "wheel thingie."  Been a long long long time since I personally flew anything.  Certainly was fun though.

Archived