SASS Wire Forum

1881 Marlin in 45-70

Hyman Oldcowhand SASS #68474

This was on the Marlin Forum:

"My 1881 Marlin spit the magazine follower back into the action and I will have to disassemble the rifle to repair it.
I have disassembled 1894 Marlins but never the 1881.
I will need to remove the magazine tube to fix it. How much different is it from disassembling the 1894?"

"It's extremely simple if you've done your 1894. Only difference it just one thru screw for the forearm cap. rather than the two forearm cap screws of a 1894 rifle.
Simply pull the cap screw, then the forearm retainer screw, slide the cap forward, then drop the mag tube down off the stud and slide it and the forearm wood all forward until it disengages the receiver.
Sounds like your mag tube may have split to allow the folower to get into the receiver, or more likely the folower is just worn out. One from a late model .45-70 might just work as a repalcement."

Here is a video on the 1894: 

Maybe this one would work?

https://images.app.goo.gl/vw5RnTEnk6grPAuNA

I'd start with removing the tang screw and pulling off the buttstock.   Open the action that will cock the hammer.   Use padded vicegrips to compress the hammer spring enough to take tension off hammer. Keep the vice grips on until you reassemble.  See what holds the large screw pin 28 that goes through the lever and remove that.  The lever should come out. The bolt may slide out??  I can't see what holds the trigger plate in.  Maybe the screw 25 that goes in from the left side and a pin 41 foreword?

Archived