SASS Wire Forum

.44 Russian ammo

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I shoot .44 Specials in my Virtual Marlin rifle chambered for .44 Mag

and the only problem is they keep missing the targets. 

But the rifle handles them just fine. Of course the cartridges are virtual also. 

Just now, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I shoot .44 Specials in my Virtual Marlin rifle chambered for .44 Mag

and the only problem is they keep missing the targets. 

But the rifle handles them just fine. Of course the cartridges are virtual also. 

Are the targets virtual? Or are they virtually pitted from all those virtual rounds?

I'm shooting .44 Russian out of .44 Special revolvers. Does leave a ring in the chambers. Your chambers a even longer, so wondering is there might be an issue with the extra distance between the case mouth and the barrel entry...

But in principal, I don't see this as any different than shooting .38 Special out of a .357 Magnum revolver.

Whether or not you get "Ring Around the Chamber" and how bad you get it is dependent entirely on the propellant you use.  Smokeless is notorious but some smokeless is better than others.  Black Powder and APP are no problem at all.  With APP a swab through the Bore and Chamber and you are done.

Go for it.

I shoot 44 Russians in both 44 special and 44 magnum revolvers.  No issues whatsoever.  

I believe that the thing to remember is that you need to clean the chamber really well.  Otherwise,  you could get a buildup that would prevent you from loading the longer cases.

BS

5 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

A shooter at the club i belong to Shoots 44 Russians out of his 44 Mag Marlin.

He had to modify the bolt a little. No problems.

I know another shooter that shoots 44 Russians in a pair of 44-40 Pistols.

???????????????????????????

24 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

???????????????????????????

That was kind of my thought. So I pulled the cylinder out of one of my Rodeos, and dropped a 44 Russian in it. Was going to show photographic evidence of how that would not work.

It worked.

IMG_20200912_220818972.thumb.jpg.8601df8aeb055e9c447da2545de2affa.jpg

IMG_20200912_220528592.thumb.jpg.07382fa2d4aeb150fa0a58474cde9002.jpg

I suppose it would work, but I'd sooner fire .44 Russian through a new Cimarron First Model American.  They are supposed to be available (some are getting into the country now, but it's slow and so far only available in .45 Colt)  in both calibers in the next load.  I suspect they will be .44 Special in actuality.   I am assured that I am still on the list and will be called when they get here.

JFYI, I am not holding my breath.

Apart from the problem of "Ring Around the Chamber", there is no reason you can't shoot .44 Russian in a .44 Mangle-em chamber.  If the custom of the past had been followed, the .44 Special should have been called, ".44 Long Russian".  The .44 Magnum would be called ".44 Extra-long Russian",  which is what I call it when loaded down to Special or Russian velocities (using smokeless powders). Rim diameters and case head diameters the same.  Only case length differs.  Same thing as .45-70, .45-90 WCF, .45-110, etc.

I bought a couple .44 spl Vaqueros on here a year ago that had been shot almost exclusively with .44 Russians and not cleaned very well. After spending quite some time pushing a bronze brush & solvent through the chambers, it became obvious I would be at it for hours, if not days. I chucked the brush in a drill and finally got all the crud out. That said, they shoot as well with .44 Russians as they do with specials.

19 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I bought a couple .44 spl Vaqueros on here a year ago that had been shot almost exclusively with .44 Russians and not cleaned very well. After spending quite some time pushing a bronze brush & solvent through the chambers, it became obvious I would be at it for hours, if not days. I chucked the brush in a drill and finally got all the crud out. That said, they shoot as well with .44 Russians as they do with specials.

Next time shoot them in a match with APP or real BP. The chamber fouling would have been removed and you would have had a lot more fun in the process.

23 hours ago, Alpo said:

That was kind of my thought. So I pulled the cylinder out of one of my Rodeos, and dropped a 44 Russian in it. Was going to show photographic evidence of how that would not work.

It worked.

Looks workable...

44WCFvs44Russian.jpg

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Looks workable...

44WCFvs44Russian.jpg

Looks like the .44-40 slug will wobble its way out of the barrel.  Not much maybe, but some, and yeah, the brass will pretty much end up useless, at least for my purposes.

I picked up a couple of 44 spc cyls for my 44/40 Cimarron Thunderers & shooting Russians in them.Works good with BP.

Largo

Hell, 44 Russian can be shot in a 45! I know this because my wife (then GF) took a shooter's class on a day that I was working at the range (she was just starting CAS). I brought the gun cart with all of the regular stuff in it. She came over to me later and asked why the brass looked so deformed. I then gave her some instructions on checking the ammo versus the gun. She knew she was shooting a 45 but failed to look at the cartridges!:huh:

Archived