SASS Wire Forum

Does anybody speak English?

Alpo

"It was Sunday. He wore a well-rubbed Lovat green sports jacket, corduroy trousers which he knew to be unfashionably wide, and stout golfing shoes."

Let's start with the shoes. He has just got from behind the wheel of his car. He walked into the lobby of the apartment building, walked onto the elevator, which will take him to the penthouse. In the penthouse will be parquet floors covered with Persian carpets.

Somehow I don't think he's got spikes on his shoes. Do the British not have spikes on their golf shoes?

The trousers. "Unfashionably wide". Do you suppose that's the legs - like elephant bells but that go all the way to the beltline? Or would that be referring to the width of the weals of the corduroy? Corduroy has been around for a long time, but the width of the raised sections has gotten wider and narrower over time because of fashion. Hmmm.

And what the heck would a "well rubbed jacket" be?

Since a Lovat jacket is a tweed jacket (You can get one through Orvis, if you'd like), I'm going to say "well rubbed" would translate into "well worn." That coupled with the unfashionable trousers, and your description of where he is going, brings to my mind the image of a man who is comfortably disheveled. That is, he has no need to impress others.

As for the golf shoes, unless he wore them without the spikes screwed in, you got me on that one.

https://www.orvis.com/p/lovat-tweed-stretch-jacket/2SEF?item_code=2SEF0842&adv=621658&cm_mmc=plas-_-tm-x-brand-us-pla_-tm-x-brand-x-x-x-x-_-&gclid=CjwKCAjw4_H6BRALEiwAvgfzq9-SBgSxkObUA1MWQNMjs-lm5y0og7Zdjlg7E_inKh14iC0EmaeZ5hoCzjQQAvD_BwE

Well-rubbed would be worn down.

41 minutes ago, Alpo said:

The second Modesty Blaise book, Sabertooth. 1966.

Trousers were slim in 66. Wide legs went out in the late 50s and would definitely have been unfashionable.

09F61A6A-E6AA-4718-9715-325C44BA6003.jpeg

I have several pairs of well rubbed Wranglers.

And sicks.

Archived