SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 lever action quality

stef75

I got a good one. Just wondered if this is usual, as a friend wanted one also. Its a bit of an ordering process here to get them, so I didnt want to lead him astray with my 'sample of 1' opinion. I assume they produce less issues than Rossi? Any thoughts on where they rank next to Henry and Win/miroku too? Would the learned members class them as top quality, decent, or like most things mass produced you might get the bad one? Thanks in advance, I'll get him to read this thread if it turns up replies.

I'll not discuss the Henry centerfires, other than to say I'd be more inclined to cuss  them (nice workmanship, but low strength materials, and lousy designs for cowboy shooting).   .22 Henrys excepted from those comments.

The Miroku Winchester models are very well built, and more "ready to run" right from the factory.  The current lack of speed parts limits their penetration in the cowboy shooting market, however.  They tend not to use as pretty a wood, in general, but Miroku sure puts a good fit and finish on the metal.  If I wanted a "minimal hassle" cowboy gun, the Miroku would be my choice.

Almost all Uberti guns I've had need much more hand fitting work than the Mirokus, in order to get the most out of the gun design.  They are often not smoothly fitted and are over-sprung to keep the factory workforce from having to do that hand fitting themselves.  Typically made of quality materials, except screws are usually softer than normal, so they can be damaged easily and are prone to stretching the threads so the screws won't hold tight.  That is the main reason Uberti torques them very tight at the factory.  So, I consider any Uberti as being a "pre-assembled kit gun."    Folks who enjoy a smooth and fast running gun will have tuning and smoothing done, or do it themselves.   Especially rough are their cap and ball revolvers.  Often almost unworkable from the factory, but they can be tuned to be nice shooters.  Almost all Uberti guns have "good bones" and a nice finish.   But their guts need serious attention to make the guns run like they look.

Rossi has made some nice guns in the past, but the quality has suffered as they try to advance into more modern manufacturing equipment and less hand work.

Pietta has come a long way with their revolvers, and now IMHO are building better guns than the similar Uberti models.  But no rifles.

There's my opinion.  GJ

In my experience, the Uberti long guns are quite good out of the box.  I currently have 7 of them in various models and calibers and they all work fine.  The springs that come in them are a bit stout and the screws are in tight from the factory, but the guns work fine.  I bought my first Uberti 1873 about 30 years ago and shot SASS with it for 20 something years before I had to replace the trigger due to a worn sear.  I did replace the Uberti springs with original Winchester springs when I bought it and properly adjusted it, but that is all.  If you want to tune your rifle up, there are more parts and experience out there for the Uberti than anything else.  

I my experience, the Rossi and the Henry brand gun’s are a waste of time and money, because they can only be taken so far.  I think the Rossi 1892 is a nice strong little gun.  I have sold a lot of the Rossi’s  but only own original Winchester 1892s.  The 1892 design is just not as good a design for SASS as the 1873 (though it is a better/stronger gun for just about everything else).  personally, I wouldn’t pay a dime for a Henry.  

Miroku makes very nice guns.  I have a browning 1886 and 1895 made by them and they are both very nice.  I have handled a number of the new winchester 1873s and they are nice.  I just have not bought one because I already own three Uberti and two original 1873s. Kind of hard to justify laying out another $1200. 

I did a Uberti 73 last month that was hands down the worst out of the box 73 I ever handled. This cowboy ordered it, if it had been on the rack somewhere I don't think it would have ever sold. Good thing it was in for a complete gutting. 

1 hour ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

I did a Uberti 73 last month that was hands down the worst out of the box 73 I ever handled. This cowboy ordered it, if it had been on the rack somewhere I don't think it would have ever sold. Good thing it was in for a complete gutting. 

The last one I got, fresh from Italy, is also particularly stiff.  But it was picked for the wood, not the action.  I've always done all my rifle work, but this one will go to a pro. :)

If you're heading toward speed shooting as needed fo SASS then I'd order a Uberti direct from one of the guns smiths. They do the action work, install short stroke kits etc. Otherwise you'll buy one and end up having to send it to someone to have the work done. 

I got mine from Pioneer Gun Works. There are others that are equally as good.

Ike

On 9/13/2020 at 12:53 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

If you're heading toward speed shooting as needed fo SASS then I'd order a Uberti direct from one of the guns smiths. They do the action work, install short stroke kits etc. Otherwise you'll buy one and end up having to send it to someone to have the work done. 

I got mine from Pioneer Gun Works. There are others that are equally as good.

Ike

But don't get a "Cut and Weld", it's not a short stroke and I had so many problems with mine it isn't even funny! I sent it back to Taylor's and I don't think anyhting was done to it. It jammed up like a safe. I would up getting a SS kit and a NEW LEVER! It's still not right though. I've had others' shoot it and they agreed it still isn't right. Be careful, buy it stock and have the SS kit  installed by a gunsmith or if you can do it that's fine.

Archived