SASS Wire Forum

Wonder If They Will Have it Right This Time?

From the trailer it looks a little more right than the first one. And they seem to have included Doctor Yueh, Duncan Idaho and Gurney Halleck. I need to read that one again...

Well, it looks like the 'thopters are 'thopters and not copters...!  I'm wondering if they'll get Duncan Idaho's Tleilaxu eyes correct.  hypnotized.gif

I enjoyed the first one but I had read most of the books before I saw it.  What they should have done is made the first book into at least two movies if not three. Would have allowed for more back story and detail so that those that hadn't read the books would have known what was going on.

Interesting history...

Does anyone remember the cancelled 1970's project?  Lots of us were really looking forward to it (should have been released around late '74 or '75), but the producer, Arthur Jacobs, up and died.  Originally, Pink Floyd was to have done the soundtrack, and the cast was to have included such noteworthies as Orson Welles, David Carradine, Mick Jagger... even Salvadore Dali.  :o

Ten years later we got the David Lynch version - shock of shock, it had Sting in the cast!  And a few other "forgettable" types, like Patrick Stewart (still looks the same), and even Dean Stockwell.  (Shudder!)

And then in 2000, The Sci-Fi Channel did a Dune mini-series that was actually not bad... followed in 2003 by the sequel "Children of Dune."

For what it's worth - not much, I'm sure - I've always thought that ol' Frank should've retired after writing the original Dune.  And I liked the worms in the '84 film more than the newest.  

But I'll still see it.  ^_^

Music inspired by Frank Herbert´s Dune series - Rate Your Music

I read the book originally in Analog SF magazine, where it was serialized as Dune World. Dune took the SF world by storm, and for many years, perhaps decades, it was the leading single SF novel ever in sales. It has probably been surpassed by now by Game of Thrones or some such, but I don't know.

Frank Herbert lived in Tacoma for some years, and there is a great waterfront park here named after him, just finished a couple of years ago.

Herbert was close friends with fellow SF authors Jack Vance and Poul Anderson, and for years they together owned a houseboat on the Sacramento Delta. I never met Herbert or Anderson, but I had the pleasure and honor of meeting Jack Vance a couple of times. He died a few years back at 96. I heard stories about Frank Herbert and Anderson from Jack and his wife Norma.

The Lynch movie had several good points but was overall disappointing. I never saw the TV version; it got decidedly mixed reviews.

I am glad it's getting another go. Haven't read the novel in decades but probably should pick it up again.

Archived