SASS Wire Forum

.45 Load Query...

Just got a request for load information from a family member, and need help in answering...

It seems that someone gave him a supply of copper plated .45 (.452) 200 gr Round Nose bullets, likely leftovers from a former .45 ACP shooter.

Well, he is a reloader, but he does not have a .45 ACP.  However, he does have an Uberti .45 Colt, and his son has a Vaquero... and they have a goodly supply of brass. 

Any load suggestions?  Surprisingly, none of my old manuals have anything for .200 grain bullets.  I've been loading .45 Colt for 48 years or so, but have never loaded with anything smaller than 250 gr pills.  A true "creature of habit," I be.  ^_^

.45 200 gr Round Nose

What brand are they?  Rainer (no longer making plated bullets) said just load theirs with cast bullet loading data.

Not sure, but think they might be Berry's.

But I don't have any load data for 200 gr bullets, lead or otherwise.  

Something I heard that is a good recommendation is that if you don’t have any other data on copper plated or TMJ bullets you should load them to lead bullet specs. 
Look up 200 grain lead bullet loads. Now, if these are Berry’s bullets they usually put a 1250 FPS max velocity on theirs, therefore they can be loaded a little hotter, like FMJ bullet loads. 
What powder are they using?

What Pat said Hardpan,

Hogdon's site. Universal is one of my go-to powders for most anything like Trailboss LOL. Hogdon's site lists TB, Universal, Clays, titegroup for 200gr bullets in LC. With starting loads the LC cases get a little blowby, a little extra dirty chamber but go a little heavier elminates that.

(My normal load uses bullseye with 250RNFP. Its peppy but very accurate and more importantly, the wife likes it LOL. )

I like 205 grain BCS RNFP bullets over 7.7 grains of Universal. It’s peppy! :D

I figure it’s velocity is right at 900 FPS. Very accurate out of my Vaqueros. 

Fill the case with FFFg and seat and crimp firmly!

Archived