SASS Wire Forum

Forgotten Weapons; the Colt Lightning

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

10 hours ago, Paper Chaser said:

The Lightning makes an appearance around here once in a while but never really caught on.

I have to admit that they are not super popular in our game.   But those of us who do use them greatly enjoy them.   [As long as we didn't get caught in the Taurus trap...]

I never thought it would become my fave gun, but it did.   So much so that I've got five of them, including a .22

We have 2 reproductions in our household. I have a pedersoli and wife has an AWA.  Any ramp feed gun, be it rifle or handgun is much more susceptible to stovepipe jams than a straight feed system like the 73. They are all finicky on the shape bullets they prefer. Not saying it’s a bad thing, but they definitely are pickier on what they will or will not digest. 

1 hour ago, doc roy l. pain said:

We have 2 reproductions in our household. I have a pedersoli and wife has an AWA.  Any ramp feed gun, be it rifle or handgun is much more susceptible to stovepipe jams than a straight feed system like the 73. They are all finicky on the shape bullets they prefer. Not saying it’s a bad thing, but they definitely are pickier on what they will or will not digest. 

Ah, okay.   I understand what you mean now.   Sorry for being so slow on the uptake.

I have 2 AWAs and 3 Colts, including the .22   The AWA in .45 Colt is the first one I got, and it is my primary main match rifle, and the only gun I've ever shot a clean match with.   Three times, in fact.   The other AWA is a .44-40 and the Colts are .44-40 and .32-20.

Once or twice each year, I bring my two original .41 Long Colt Thunderers to a local match.  They cause a lot of humour.  I also have two replica .38 S & W Lightnings but prefer my.45s. I use them for loaners to newbies.

8 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I regret selling my CLMR in .32 WCF.

Fun gun that was fine at a medium speed.

One of my Colt's is a .32-30.   I really like this caliber.   I've also got a 73 and 92 in it.   But finding pistols has proved to be difficult.  I've got one 3rd Gen Colt, and in a way, that's it.   Technically.   I do have 2 other guns that have been converted to the caliber.   A First Gen Colt, and, perhaps oddly, a Colt 1860.   Gotta get the timing fixed on that last one though.

Archived