SASS Wire Forum

Hattery

Whiskey Hicks

Do any of you pay much attention to the look of more historic looking hats or maybe the styles or regional inspirations for the pinches, brims and crowns?

I don’t know what major difference a wrangler, gunslinger, or outlaw would want in a hat from the NW like Wyoming to to the more middle plains states. I can kind of guess the Southwest tends to favor low cut bolero styles for the lighter weight?

I’m just rambling, but I noticed as I’m growing my hair out, my cheap gambler hat doesn’t fit very well anymore.

I used to years ago...but then SASS changed. Things became more about time and speed and who was the fastest and 10-10-4 close target scenarios that won’t confuse the gamers. The accoutrements and dress also seem to have fallen off as important. 
I guess when I enjoyed it more I cared more. 

Will  James wrote a book titled "Cowboys North and South."  Goes into a lot of detail regarding dress and gear to include the variations you might see in CA and other places.   Cowboys in the south wanted hats with wide brims and tall crowns to allow for shade and romm for hot air to move away from the top of your head.  Northern cowboys chose narrower brims and shorter crowns to hold the heat in during cold weather.  None of that seems to hold true any more

Archived