SASS Wire Forum

LP Primers in VA (found some thank you!)

Dakota Rambler

Do any of my pard here in southern VA have a line on where I can buy some large pistol primers? My supply is getting low and while I’m not desperate enough to buy from a scalper (yet) I don’t want to run out.  Federal or Winchester work too.  Thanks everyone.

Dakota Rambler

Dakota, I am afraid that you are in the same boat as the rest of us.  LPP & SPP are as scarce as hens teeth.

Dakota, the box stores are all Out of Stock.  And my reloading supplier informed me the distributors are 4 - 6 months out before re-supplies.

But, if you are desperate, the Scalpers are having a field day on Gun Broker ...

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=large pistol primers

Recommendation -switch over to Cap & Ball revolvers and make your own caps

With the current political conditions and the number of NICS checks  at all time highs for new firearms owners ... I read the wind  and re-stocked because of the previous scarcity

I just can’t justify spending $100-$150 for 1000 primers from a scalper, between the $$ and the fact I doubt they declare hazmat ( which if something would happen I don’t want my address on a package that wasn’t handled properly and hurt someone). 

2 hours ago, John Boy said:

Dakota, the box stores are all Out of Stock.  And my reloading supplier informed me the distributors are 4 - 6 months out before re-supplies.

But, if you are desperate, the Scalpers are having a field day on Gun Broker ...

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=large pistol primers

Recommendation -switch over to Cap & Ball revolvers and make your own caps

With the current political conditions and the number of NICS checks  at all time highs for new firearms owners ... I read the wind  and re-stocked because of the previous scarcity

I think scalpers are shameless.  But not all of the people selling primers on GB are scalpers.  I have looked at several of the auctions, and some started the bidding at a fair price, a few even started auction at a penny.  I have sold primers on GB and have always started auction off at a fair price, have no control how the bidding goes after that. So my point is, not all GB auctions selling primers are scalpers.

1 hour ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I think scalpers are shameless.  But not all of the people selling primers on GB are scalpers.  I have looked at several of the auctions, and some started the bidding at a fair price, a few even started auction at a penny.  I have sold primers on GB and have always started auction off at a fair price, have no control how the bidding goes after that. So my point is, not all GB auctions selling primers are scalpers.

Curious how you handle the Hazmat fee...

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Curious how you handle the Hazmat fee...

When I took the primers to the local shipping outlet, I just declared what was in the package and paid the HazMat

31 minutes ago, Dakota Rambler said:

Good information to know! Was it ups?

Yes, UPS.     Don't know about FedEx, have never use them, but you can't ship anything like that thru the post office, primers or loaded ammo.

11 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

When I took the primers to the local shipping outlet, I just declared what was in the package and paid the HazMat

How much was the Hazmat fee?

20 minutes ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

So why all the interest in how I used to ship primers?

Because you need a license from BATFE to ship powder or primers.

Private party can't do such legally, it's  a Federal offense and BATFE has no sense of humor here.

OLG 

8 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Your post lead me to think you‘ve sold primers via GB recently, hence the interest.  Apparently that isn’t the case. 

Correct, haven't shipped primers that I had sold in over 15 years.

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Because you need a license from BATFE to ship powder or primers.

Private party can't do such legally, it's  a Federal offense and BATFE has no sense of humor here.

OLG 

A specific license, or can an FFL holder ship legally?

16 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Specific lic for explosives.

FFL is useless here.

OLG 

I would bet there are a lot of Gunbroker sellers that just might be in violation of the law.  

Thanks for the info.

4 minutes ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I would bet there are a lot of Gunbroker sellers that just might be in violation of the law.  

Thanks for the info.

Call your local BATFE office to confirm what I said.

Those sellers are taking a big chance for a couple of dollars-SMH:rolleyes:

OLG

Mr. Dakota, I have been in every gun shop in Richmond and two gun shows in the last three weeks and not a large pistol primer to be had. I will keep an eye out for you.

Sorry OP, wish I could help with the primers. If you were closer maybe. 

This post did serve a purpose though. It reeducated me that some cowboy shooters just ain't cool. Not many at all, but some. 

But Phantom!!  How would you get those primers to him???  :o :lol:

Big thanks to everyone with suggestions, and even bigger thanks to two of my pards up here in VA who hooked me up with a good supply of primers today. It never hurts to ask, because one pard was at a small town Gun shop and scored me 4000 federal large pistol primers, thank you Major B.S. Walker. Another pard came across a large stash of Winchesters, and handed me 2000 today, thank you Mr Ripsaw! Neither of these gentlemen asked for anything other than retail price (cowboys don’t scalp cowboys!) and I’m so grateful to have this off my mind now. Hopefully all this crud passes and we can all be swimming in supplies again, but it’s good to know that we got each other’s back, that truly is the cowboy way!

Archived