SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Rifle - Before I buy

Totes Magoats

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

A note of caution. If you buy a 40-65 and but Starline brass it is about .015" short of the OAL for the case. They even post it on their web page for that brass. They shoot fine unless you're a fanatic about "exact" specifications. Many of us re-size 45-70 and trim back down to 2.100" length.

For SASS long distance Starline would be fine.

Ike

Thanks for this.  I will note it down.  I have a lot of 45-70 brass currently.

On the same subject, for dies, I am reading that Lyman or RCBS Cowboy 40-65 dies are the way to go?  Any advice here?

I was also looking at Bear Creek 40-65 bullets since I don't cast my own.

Totes

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Taylor's Uberti DeLuxe high wall in .38-55.  My barrel slugged .3805.
I'm loading .382 bullets.
A Browning or (Miroku) Winchester would probably have a more common bore size.
But I love that double set trigger.  :)

.38-55 range day.JPG

Long Range, like everything else in this sport, is certainly impacted by what your pocketbook can support.  They are not cheap, and they are not fast since each one is basically a custom piece, but if I was getting into the long range business all over again from scratch?  I would give CPA rifles a hard look.  They are more expensive up front...BUT...let's say you pay the money and get that 40-65 and a year from now decide you really should have gotten a 38-55.  With a CPA That will cost you $500 and 5 minutes to change calibers.  Maybe you want to step up to a 45-120.  Same thing.  Each additional barrel/caliber is another $500 and it can be swapped at the range with hand tools in a couple of minutes.  I have a Sharps and a Roller.  If I had it all to do over?  I would have a CPA.

https://www.cparifles.com/

16 hours ago, Ruff Kut said:

Looking into these now.  Any concerns they are not SASS legal in long range matches.  That model appears to be after the year cutoff of 1899.

SHB Pg 31:

Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot firearms must be originals or replicas of single shot rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899"

Totes

1 hour ago, Totes Magoats said:

Looking into these now.  Any concerns they are not SASS legal in long range matches.  That model appears to be after the year cutoff of 1899.

SHB Pg 31:

Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot firearms must be originals or replicas of single shot rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899"

Totes

I can't find it now, but I'm pretty sure they are fine. I know they are allowed at Wartrace for certain. I have one chambered in 38-55 and it is a tack driver.

I would not want to speak for the SASS rules gods.  I know a few people that do shoot them and have not had a problem. 

My view, and this is my view alone, is that:

1) the Stevens Model 44 began production in 1893.  The internals are different than the 44 1/2, but externally they look identical.  The 44 1/2 began production in 1903.  I would argue the Colt vs Ruger Vaquero standard sets the precedence that outward appearance is the same so it is allowable.

2) H&R Buffalo Classics, I believe, began production in the mid 1990s and are SASS legal.

3) Someone would be a complete wanker to say it is not allowable.

Here is a previous thread where it was discussed.

Archived