SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Rifle - Before I buy

Totes Magoats

Well, I let Hoss talk me into shooting his High Wall and now it's gonna cost me.

I am looking at getting a high wall in 38-55.  I am set on a high wall and about 95% on 38-55.  40-65 would be the other I would consider.  Not interested in any of the 45's.

My question, besides the price difference is there a reason to go with an Uberti/Cimarron over a new Winchester or a used Browning?  I am not a fan of the wood on the Italian guns.

I don't cast my own bullets, so is there advantages of one over the other with typical chamber size, twist rates, etc.  I do plan on a Kelley soule and front sight and at least a 28" barrel.

WTB will probably follow soon in the classifieds.  :)

Totes

If you can find a Browning in 40-65 It would make a great choice. I have read that the barrels on the Pedersoli guns are very good. A good barrel and great sights are the backbone of a long range gun.

Lucky

51 minutes ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

Mine is a Pedersoli/Navy Arms Rolling Block in 50-140.  Loaded cartridge is 4 inches long .

Horace

Sounds like a round, that would get out of Texas when shot....

Texas Lizard

I only have a 45-120...That is good enough for me...And a few 45-70s and 45-90s...All Hi-wall...I am left handed, they work for me...

One thing I've noticed in the difference between the Miroku's (Browning/ Winchester) and Uberti's is the Uberti's require you to cock the hammer separately and the Miroku's cock the hammer when you open the action. Not a huge deal except a lot of Long Range events are timed and the extra action required to cock each shot does add up. Not a scientific study, just my own observation. I own a Winchester in 38-55.

Uberti's require you to cock the hammer separately

In factory form, yes.  Lee Shaver (and probably others) convert Uberti HighWall actions to leave hammer cocked when closing the action.

Good luck, GJ

About 1/2 the ranges I shoot at are timed for tie breakers. My Uberti does not cock. It is a tad slower when time matters. Ones that cock slightly increase your chance for an AD. Especially if you have a light trigger. If I found a deal on a  Rifle I liked cocking or not cocking would not be a deal breaker. 

You have to hit them all before time matters.  Sights, barrel and trigger.

1 hour ago, Totes Magoats said:

Thanks All,

I am leaning towards the Winchester or Browning. 

Totes

Don't lean!  Just go buy the Browning BPCR.  They are great rifles.  They come with Badger barrels (sort of the gold standard for barrels) and very good Soule sights.  I have had several of them and every one shot great. Just make sure it's the BPCR model.  40 caliber bullets are easy to buy on the web.

10 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Sounds like a round, that would get out of Texas when shot....

Texas Lizard

I only have a 45-120...That is good enough for me...And a few 45-70s and 45-90s...All Hi-wall...I am left handed, they work for me...

Absolutely. I just happened to find the 50-140 online and bought.  It was advertised as a 50 Sharps so I thought 50-90 and bought dies etc.  When I got it, the chamber was 50-140

so I had to exchange the dies etc.

Horace

4 hours ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

Absolutely. I just happened to find the 50-140 online and bought.  It was advertised as a 50 Sharps so I thought 50-90 and bought dies etc.  When I got it, the chamber was 50-140

so I had to exchange the dies etc.

Horace

I take it it uses a rather large amount of black powder.....

Texas Lizard

Have shot it yet???

Totes, 

One thing about the Browning BCPR they are really made to shoot black powder. I have shot both, the traditional hunter and the BCPR, when I lived back east. I would suggest if you going to shoot smokeless look for a traditional hunter in either 38-55 or 40-65. Certainly the 40-65 will be more affective at longer ranges (beyond 300 yards). I have a smokeless load for both, depending on what you do, you can PM me and I send them to you. 

Enjoyed shooting Comancheria Days with you guys last year. Hope you make it to Winter Range, it our 30th Annual.

TB

10 minutes ago, a d said:

Totes....

i have a great uberti 45-70 with lee shaver sights.

also lave the ultimate 45-70 gammer loads for 250 yds or less!

I had the creseant butt plate cut off the stock..

i plan to shoot with you all Saturday, 

do you want to see this.

i would also get ahold of Kettleman from Austin,

he started with the 38-55 and has changed.

AD

AD, thanks for the offer, but I really want either a 38-55 or 40-65 as both Ginger and I will be shooting it.  She does not like my 45-70's.  

I am really considering the Browning in 40-65 with all this input.

I look forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Totes

7 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

I take it it uses a rather large amount of black powder.....

Texas Lizard

Have shot it yet???

I have not shot it with BP but I should. I have shot it with 5744 which is good for the large cases. BP would be more appropriate.

Horace

One of the things you should know before you buy any 38-55 are the chamber and bore dimensions.  38-55 is an old round and Some modern makers have used the chamber dimensions for the old paper patch round.  This can cause accuracy issues.  Likewise some of the bores vary in size enough to require different bullet diameters.  I have a winchester in 38-55 which takes a longer case (there are two lengths currently available) and bigger bullet.  I don’t know what the various makers are doing now but I would want to know before I bought a gun and especially before I bought reloading components.  

I assume when you say Long Range you'll be shooting SASS long range side matches, which aren't really long range.

Because they are timed you'll want something that cocks upon opening the action.

You'll be shooting mostly under 200 yards so 38-55 or 40-65 works well and is nice on your shoulder. A group of us in our SASS club shoot 40-65's, shoulder issues, out to 700 yards at our range. You don't need a 530 grain bullet to make steel go clang!

Because they're timed you'll want to work up a smokeless load, no time to use a blow tube or wipe the bore.

Invest in the best sights you can find. Get a Soule long range site in case you want to shoot out beyond 500 yards.

Ranges beyond 500 yards do exist. 

Ike

7 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I assume when you say Long Range you'll be shooting SASS long range side matches, which aren't really long range.

Because they are timed you'll want something that cocks upon opening the action.

You'll be shooting mostly under 200 yards so 38-55 or 40-65 works well and is nice on your shoulder. A group of us in our SASS club shoot 40-65's, shoulder issues, out to 700 yards at our range. You don't need a 530 grain bullet to make steel go clang!

Because they're timed you'll want to work up a smokeless load, no time to use a blow tube or wipe the bore.

Invest in the best sights you can find. Get a Soule long range site in case you want to shoot out beyond 500 yards.

Ranges beyond 500 yards do exist. 

Ike

Exactly what I will be using it for. Some ranges around these parts are out past 200 yds.
I need/want something easy on the shoulder both my wife and I can shoot. 

I am planning on Kelly sights and shooting mostly smokeless. 

I think I am decided on the Browning in 40-65, but I am playing around with the C. Sharps rifle builder online.

appreciate all the input!

Totes

Some of the SASS Long Range matches (usually Annuals, Regionals, State, etc.) also include a "Buffalo Rifle" category, so becoming familiar with loading BP is also beneficial to add to the long range fun.  It's rare that any will use time as anything BUT as a "tie-breaker" only... but with the level of competitors like Hoss and several others, you'll need to be hitting ALL the targets before you worry about time!  I use a Shiloh Sharps and don't feel like I'm out of the competition unless I'm having an "off" day!

I hit seven out of eight long distance targets at Comancheria Days with my Uberti 38/55 high-wall with double set triggers and peep sight.   Missed the Quigley bucket by an inch, I am told.:FlagAm:

I have Two .38-55s ,,, One .45-70  And One .40-65 ...

But I use the .40-65 99% of the time ....

Mine is a Uberti Highwall 30 inch barrel ,Lee Shaver Sights ....

I shoot Either a 374  Grain or -422 Grain bullets  ...

Jabez Cowboy

Great topic. Just picked up a Browning 1885 Competition in 45-70 from Gunbroker.  Can’t wait For it to arrive and shoot it.  

GG~:FlagAm:

FWIW, Like Horace Patootie, I use a 50-140. Mine is a C. Sharps with an Extra Long Range Kelley soule rear sight. I cast my own 650 grain Postell bullets. I use Hol;y black. I am beyond belief thrilled with its accuracy. It does have some recoil but, at least for me, it is enjoyable. However, I have 2  10 gauge 3-1/2"  doubles, an Ithaca semiautomatic 10 Magnum and my Great Grandfather's 8 gauge double so I have coped with some recoil since I was a pre teenager.

A note of caution. If you buy a 40-65 and but Starline brass it is about .015" short of the OAL for the case. They even post it on their web page for that brass. They shoot fine unless you're a fanatic about "exact" specifications. Many of us re-size 45-70 and trim back down to 2.100" length.

For SASS long distance Starline would be fine.

Ike

Archived