SASS Wire Forum

Anagrams

Anagrams...the word is first, obviously, and the anagram is second...

Presbyterian = best in prayer.

George Bush = he bugs gore

The morse code = here come dots

Dormitory = dirty room

Slot Machines = cash lost here

Eleven plus two = twelve plus one

Debit card = bad credit.

One of my favorites: Mother-in-law = woman Hitler.

One of the most profound anagrams is from the Bible.

When Jesus was before Pilate, being questioned, Pilate said, very sarcastically, "what IS truth".  Now Pilate did not say that in English, he said it in Latin.

In Latin, "what is truth" is: "quid est veritas". 

The anagram of "quid est veritas" is: "est qui vir adest" which translated is: "it is the man before you". 

Interesting....

I received this via an e-mail from a friend, so I have not verified the Latin. 

I am sure someone will, and either agree, or refute.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-language-of-jesus-k8t9wppg73l

Sir, That Jesus must have spoken, or at least understood Latin (letters, October 1, 5 and 11), is suggested by the medieval dogma that Pontius Pilate had no need to wait for an answer to his jesting question, Quid est veritas (“What is truth?”) because the answer lies in its anagram, Est vir qui adest (“It is the man before you”).

The difficulties with this otherwise alluring theory are that it presupposes that Pilate spoke in Latin and, secondly, that the same anagrammatical consequence would arise whenever the question was put in Latin to any man.

Yours sincerely,

CHRISTOPHER G. RUSSELL,

New Square Chambers,

12 New Square,

Lincoln’s Inn, WC2A 3SW.

October 11.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_18:38

Yes, we presuppose that Pilate spoke in Latin, since he was a Roman. I am not sure if he spoke the area languages or not. Being a Roman, he could have perhaps felt that the local people need to speak to him in Latin. He did converse with several Jewish religious leaders, so perhaps he either had an interpreter, or knew the language they spoke, or perhaps they spoke in Greek, which both groups could have been familiar with, at that time.  

Not being there, in person, I have no way of knowing for sure. If perhaps he did speak in Latin, on that occasion, then perhaps the anagram would work.

If he did not speak in Latin, then the anagram would not work.  

Also, since that area of the world was a cross-roads of trade, we also presuppose that a lot of people, in that area, understood Greek, Latin, Hebrew, Aramaic, and perhaps other languages, of the time as well, since all were spoken. From the theology courses that I took in college, a millennia ago, I seem to recall that Hebrew was most often used by the Jewish religious leaders...that Aramaic was most often used by the common folk, Latin was the language of the conquering rulers, and Greek was a common language of the area, that was spread in earlier times by Alexander the Great's conquering influence. 

Like as not, languages from Egypt, to the south, along those trade routes, were used as well.     

All of it is conjecture...except of course, the anagrams that were offered in English. 

image.png.06c92ae34b0bc483f37a1846d0671827.png  

At 42,177 letters, this is the longest anagram in existence.

image.png.b1e90c1258e9ef1b9cc175bd91104cf5.png      image.png.ec8b04bca129b17c5c617b15ba008ae8.png

https://www.anagrammy.com/literary/rb/poems-rb16.html

And I'm obviously a fan of anagrams. B)

241626060_FatherKitCoolGunGarth-GIFwithCAPSsmall.gif.cbf306e61dc00c9ed46cd4d029d3400f.gif

Archived