SASS Wire Forum

Does beer go bad

Trigger Mike

7 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I only drink beer if my kidneys are bothering me,  so a 6 pack last a while.   I have 2 dos equis dated best by 2018 in glass bottles.   I doubt the taste will be any good, but I dont drink for taste, just health.  Is it any good?

Mike... Splurge and buy a new six-er~!  ^_^

It'll be much more beneficial for your health AND palate~!  :blush:

That said - I have a can o' Burgermeister left over from 1971....  :lol:

Beer. Best within 6 weeks. But as long as the bottles are not leaking, turning weird colors, cloudy, or have fuzz in them, they are still safe. For cans, bulging is not good, otherwise pour into a glass and apply same inspection as for bottles.

But the taste of good beer fades fast; the taste of bad beer is not affected as quickly.

Don't know about beer expiring but in my medicine cabinet when I last moved I found some foot powder that expired in 1983.  Guess if I ever develop athletes foot I'll find out if it still good. ;)

Beer does seem to be best enjoyed before 6 to 8 weeks after purchase. Light lager probably lasts longer. Ales are best enjoyed shortly after purchase. YMMV.

Howdy,

I moved to Colorado and was invited to watch football.

The fella served Coors and I wanted to see what the fuss was

all about. YUUUCK.  It Was awful.

I avoided Coors after that.

Another sunday I was watching the Bears and having beer on tap

and tons of fresh popcorn.  The beer was just remarkable so I asked

the beertender what it was....Coors of course and a look like I was really dumb.

When I left Colorado three cases of the freshest Coors was in the car.

When it goes bad boy does it go bad.

Best

CR

If you drink that old beer you’ll get to purge your colon...you may even learn some new dance steps as you make your way to the restroom and find it occupied. :P

I disagree.  It depends on the beer.

I have a few bottles left of a bourbon barrel aged stout I bought almost 2 years ago.  I opened one of those a few weeks ago.  Holy cow has that gotten good!  It aged very well.  

Dos X's?  Doubtful.  But a really nice dark beer will age well.

Doc knows. Some of the breweries have aged beers, usually the stouts and barleywine styles for sale. At Sierra Nevada Brewery they at times will have special aged beers they open. I've bought them up at Deshutes in Bend, Or. also.

I've never met a beer that wasn't sudsy and delicious, but it doesn't last long around me.

I do usually seek out the freshest beer at the grocery store, especially if it's on sale. I think your Dos X will be ok, but make sure it's really cold. Lime will help.

Does beer help one's kidneys? Is it just to make you pee, or is there something more to it?

22 minutes ago, C.N. Double said:

I've never met a beer that wasn't sudsy and delicious, but it doesn't last long around me.

I do usually seek out the freshest beer at the grocery store, especially if it's on sale. I think you're Dos X will be ok, but make sure it's really cold. Lime will help.

Does beer help one's kidneys? Is it just to make you pee, or is there something more to it?

It flush’s and can help prevent stones. But in moderation of course. Unfortunately I’m becoming pretty well versed in kidney health info.

10 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I have heard that all US beer is bad from the get-go ....:D

Jabez Cowboy

That was true years ago. And the major popular big companies are still not very good in my opinion. But a lot of smaller makers are brewing some fine beers. Breckenridge here in Colorado makes a very nice pale ale. And I’ve had some really good IPAs recently.

PS:

Never give a can of American beer to a large Bavarian ex-lumberjack who owns a bar. Trust me.

ive never had beer get 6-8 weeks old , its always gone long before that , but good to know that shelf life is longer than i let it age , 

i do know [from the beer strike back in the 70s] that you can get beer thats not yet ready to drink , and from experience i dont recommend it , 

Once I brought home 2 beers from Germany as I drank it more regularly there.  I brought home 1 bottle of hefe weisen and 1 pills.  The hefe burst in my luggage and the other one was chilled and drank long ago.  I used to enjoy the hefe weisen 

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

Once I brought home 2 beers from Germany as I drank it more regularly there.  I brought home 1 bottle of hefe weisen and 1 pills.  The hefe burst in my luggage and the other one was chilled and drank long ago.  I used to enjoy the hefe weisen 

You can still get Paulaner and other hefe weizen at least you can here in the Dallas metromess

I initially misread the post as Can Deer Go Bad?

Yes. Yes they can.

I’ll taste-test for you!

Beer starts going bad as soon as the brewing process begins!!  :lol:

Years ago I had a Pyramid Ales rep talk me into buying and trying their Apricot Ale. Now I am not one for fruit salad beer but I would try anything once. 
I got it home. It was sufficiently cold enough. I popped a top and took a big pull in that bottle...

The acrid ale went down my pipe and then decided the party was on my garage floor and it convinced everything else in my stomach to follow it to the party. 
It was sickeningly atrocious...but of course all beer is WHEN IT’S OVER A YEAR OUT OF DATE!!!

After cleaning up the mess I threw the empty back into the 6 pack and headed back to the liquor store where that freakin’ sales rep was hanging out with his two Pyramid Hotties and chewed his arse for a good five minutes. Freakin’ maroon!

I wouldn’t accept a case of his beer gratis. I wanted no parts of anything he had to give. I can’t even look at an apricot without wanting to heave after that. Man, that was disgusting. 

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Beer = Beer Belly.

All things in moderation. ;)

That's why we have IPA, India Pale Ale.  In the empire days, the Brits would ship beer to India and it would spoil enroute.  They figured out that if you add more hops, it lasts longer.  So the hoppier the beer, the longer it will last.

On 9/9/2020 at 9:48 PM, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I have heard that all US beer is bad from the get-go ....:D

Jabez Cowboy

Utah Bob is right.  The large breweries had created pissy stuff for massive consumption.  Meanwhile, smaller breweries have created regional markets with good-tasting brews with a variety of styles.  Some of these large legacy breweries have bought some of these microbreweries or have started making more varieties.

Years ago I attended a Police conference and it included a tour of a Brewery.  They said that beer (lager) 5% alcohol, has a shelf life of 40 days.

Archived