SASS Wire Forum

Cap Gun Fans.... My new project Pistols..... Pic.

Silver Sam, SASS #34718L

Update on my Cap Pistol Project.......

I wasn't real happy with the Grip Blanks I received so I decided to thin and refinish the OEM Grips.....

I'm real Happy with the results.

I took most all of the taper out and flattened the sides quite a bit, then I refinished with an oil finish.

The pistols are much easier for me to handle. 

And now they don't have the tendency to slip in my hands when cocking the hammers & shooting.

I may still may go a little thinner but I wanted to shoot them a few times before I decide on that.

Here's a couple of pics.......

IMG_1416.thumb.jpg.b051a647e101c19e460a6e92a9370202.jpg

IMG_1417.thumb.jpg.8496c4c18a6179214c6c99ef49f8133d.jpg

I'm blaming these entirely on Yul Lose.... :D

He posted pics of his Old Army's & they are So Awesome I decided that I Just Had to make sumpin' almost as Cool as Them B)

Ruger C&B's are scarce and Expensive and when I shot Percussion Revolvers a couple of decades ago my Colts were prone to jamming way to often.

I had always admired the Remington '58 design .... So I called Dixie Gun Works and ordered a pair of em........

I removed the Loading Ram's and installed Howell Conversions Cyl. Pin Latches, cut & crowned the barrels down to 4 3/4" 

Installed brass front sight Blades, Lowered the Hammers, smoothed up the Action's, installed Slix Shot Nipples.

And I'm in the process of making some new thinner Mahogany Grips in the gunfighter style.... My first time ever to make my own Grips....

I'm keeping the OEM Grips, just in case my new ones don't work out so well.......

Next I will need to Re-Learn shooting Frontiersman..... That will be the Hardest Part!..........

Here's a Pic of em at then Moment.... What Cha Think?.... Any suggestions from you C&B Guru's ?

IMG_1394.thumb.jpg.4401a17d02a7c344690ca42971cbdc3e.jpg

Get a Polish Capper!

Just now, Hoss said:

Get a Polish Capper!

It already got here.... Very Nice Quality!!!!!!!

Sam, those are really nice--should be just the ticket!

Perfect size!

I purchased this one from Larsen Pettifogger years ago.

It has several mods that improve it's function.

For example, Larsen put a bushing in front of the cylinder to prevent the cylinder pin from accumulating fouling.

pettifoggersremmie.jpg

A long long time ago Mike Beliveau (Duelist54) did a project in which he made "The Ultimate Remington".

It was before the factories were making 5.5" Remmies.

Very Nice.....

I thought about a cyl pin bushing for that exact reason....

But since the Cyl. will be coming out every stage to reload it, I can wipe it down & give it a squirt of Balistol....

So I dont know if it would be worth the effort.... I can always do it later if it becomes necessary.

I picked up this pair of Pietta NMAs from a dealer for Walt Kirst many years ago.
Barrels cut & re-sighted, with cylinder latch replacements for loading levers.

Set up to use cartridge conversion cylinders. Percussion cylinders included.
image.png

3 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I picked up this pair of Pietta NMAs from a dealer for Walt Kirst many years ago.
Barrels cut & re-sighted with cylinder latch replacements for loading levers.

Set up to use cartridge conversion cylinders. Percussion cylinders included.
image.png

I Luv Em !!

Are those Nickel or Quarter front sight blades ? :D

3 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

I Luv Em !!

Are those Nickel or Quarter front sight blades ? :D

Jefferson nickels.
;)

This one has a silver dime:

image.png

12 minutes ago, July Smith said:

You guys and your short barrels, 7" to 9" is really where it's at.  :D 

OP, Those are some slick looking pistols for the coolest category out there! 

Ever Tried to Draw a 7" Barrel from a 5" open toe Holster ?????      It's Not Pretty:wacko:

I"m CHEAP and I didn't want to buy new Holsters........ I tried Holster Making once.... It wasn't pretty Either :lol:

Sam you got me to thinking. Just before I was forced into retirement from shooting I had purchased a pair of Uberti 58's. These had the finish removed by the previous owner and came with an extra percussion cylinder for each gun as well as cartridge conversions. I had Boomstick cut them to 5 1/2 inch and then never got to shoot them. I'll have to look around and see where they got off to.

UhOhhh.... Goody is Thinking, That can be Dangerous :D

Sure do wish you could come out & Play !!!!!!!

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

My left shoulder hates me when I try and shoot my 8" Richard Masons 

1 hour ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

UhOhhh.... Goody is Thinking, That can be Dangerous :D

Sure do wish you could come out & Play !!!!!!!

You would have to roll me from station to station. I know there would be plenty willing to help but honestly pride keeps me from asking.

2 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Ever Tried to Draw a 7" Barrel from a 5" open toe Holster ?????      

I do it all the time. 

Just remember on the 8th day God and Sam Colt said "Let all the barrels be at least 7 1/2 inches".

IMG_20200822_124345514~2.jpg

@Silver Sam, SASS #34718L love the work you’ve done, post pics when you’re done with the grips.

I got these from a pard here on the Wire. I had them slicked up by Goon Gunworks.  They run like butter on hot corn on the cob. Put Slix’s nipples on them and got a Polish Capper.  
172D0309-DFA7-48E0-B2D1-20F74D68D0F7.jpeg.75a93fb62f19419cc40f4d9afa30711e.jpeg
A154E26A-2716-494D-8ED2-C8C8A4F83477.jpeg.c50388c41cb2323ebc6e65d1e2b81377.jpeg

3 hours ago, July Smith said:

I prefer Colt Pattern guns, as Remmies beat up the ring finger on my gun hand.

My favorite cap guns make those shortened Remmies look like buntlines!

Anything over 3" is excessive!!!!

--Laughing Dawg :P

snubbies.jpg

4 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Sam, those are really nice--should be just the ticket!

Perfect size!

I purchased this one from Larsen Pettifogger years ago.

It has several mods that improve it's function.

For example, Larsen put a bushing in front of the cylinder to prevent the cylinder pin from accumulating fouling.

pettifoggersremmie.jpg

Very nice

How was the bushing mod done?

52 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

If it was good enough for Steve McQueen......

Yul-Brynner-SteveMcQueen-Magnificent-Seven.jpg

Well apparently You, Sixgun Seamus and Steve McQueen are All more coordinated than I am........ :blush:

4 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Sam you got me to thinking. Just before I was forced into retirement from shooting I had purchased a pair of Uberti 58's. These had the finish removed by the previous owner and came with an extra percussion cylinder for each gun as well as cartridge conversions. I had Boomstick cut them to 5 1/2 inch and then never got to shoot them. I'll have to look around and see where they got off to.

Let me know if you want to let them go... 

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Very nice

How was the bushing mod done?

I'm not exactly sure.  What it looks  like is that he milled away a bit of the frame just forward of the cylinder.  The milled a short hole into the front of the cylinder concentric with the cylinder pin.

Then welded in the bushing. 

Works like a dream though.

--Dawg

7 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Well apparently You, Sixgun Seamus and Steve McQueen are All more coordinated than I am........ :blush:

Definitely the first time anyone ever put me in the same class with Steve McQueen regarding anything.....Thanks! :wub:

LL

9 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

I prefer Colt Pattern guns, as Remmies beat up the ring finger on my gun hand.

My favorite cap guns make those shortened Remmies look like buntlines!

Anything over 3" is excessive!!!!

--Laughing Dawg :P

I agree

snb2.jpg

36 minutes ago, 45 Dragoon said:

Hmmm .  .  .  I thought external mods weren't allowed? (Outside of hammer spurs, front sights).

Mike

REF: SHB pgs 34-41

SHB pg 35

Barrels may be shortened and/or crowned.

SHB pg 38

Percussion revolvers may be converted to accommodate cartridge-firing mechanisms common to the period. They may also be modified by adding a narrow cap guard to the recoil shield and undercut the hammer (i.e., Manhattan modification). Reproduction percussion revolvers may have the frame contoured to approximate original type designs.

SHB pg 40

Grip frames may be replaced, “rounded,” or extended (e.g., the exchange of a Single Action Army grip frame with an 1860 Army grip frame and vice versa).

Let us not even talk about the external modifications needed to an adjustable sight Old Army to make it appropriate for Frontiersman

SHB pg 38

Ruger Blackhawk and Ruger Old Army adjustable sight frames may be modified by removing the rear sight assembly, welding up the sight cutout, re-contouring the frame top strap, and cutting a new sight notch to replicate Colt SAA or Vaquero frames. The ramp front sight must be replaced with a blade-type in order to be allowed as a fixed sight model revolver.

30 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

REF: SHB pgs 34-41

SHB pg 35

SHB pg 38

SHB pg 40

Thanks Branchwater Jack.  I knew about cap posts/rakes, cutting barrels,  .  .  .  I just thought adding operational enhancements that could be seen on the exterior wasn't allowed. Such as frame mounted hand springs (Ruger style) done on Remies would need a set screw as a keeper. That's not allowed. Likewise, a frame cut to allow a cylinder mounted bushing (gas ring) wouldn't be allowed .  Maybe the rules have changed lately ?

It took a lot of "figuring out" to finally come up with a way to spring a Remington hand with a torsion setup! Lol !!  But, I think it's a better setup than the Ruger type would be.  Once that was done, springing the trigger and bolt with coil Torsions was a little easier. That's how a "coil sprung" Remington became possible.

Just saw all this and was curious.  Thanks again,

Mike

50 minutes ago, 45 Dragoon said:

Thanks Branchwater Jack.  I knew about cap posts/rakes, cutting barrels,  .  .  .  I just thought adding operational enhancements that could be seen on the exterior wasn't allowed. Such as frame mounted hand springs (Ruger style) done on Remies would need a set screw as a keeper. That's not allowed. Likewise, a frame cut to allow a cylinder mounted bushing (gas ring) wouldn't be allowed .  Maybe the rules have changed lately ?

It took a lot of "figuring out" to finally come up with a way to spring a Remington hand with a torsion setup! Lol !!  But, I think it's a better setup than the Ruger type would be.  Once that was done, springing the trigger and bolt with coil Torsions was a little easier. That's how a "coil sprung" Remington became possible.

Just saw all this and was curious.  Thanks again,

Mike

Mike,

Would you mind sharing how you modified a Remmi to use a coil hand spring?

Sure. First you have to remove the flat spring from the hand. Then you have to basically make a clevis out of the bottom of the hand. This means you remove material from the center portion of the hand (lower end). That leaves you with two sides for the mounting screw to pass through. The dual coil torsion spring mounts in the cavity created and is held in place (of course) by the mounting screw.  I'll try and post some pics here.

20200910_102350.jpg

The mounting screw is tight against a permanent "grub" screw that mounted in the hammer. This keeps the mounting screw from going too deep which would allow the spring to escape if there is any room allowed by a too short mounting screw. It's not the easiest mod for the so called novice (not trying to dissuade anyone) but it does require parts mod which is more than enough reason I can't offer any kind of "conversion package". 

Mike

Very Nice !!!

More Pics would be Even Nicer :D

Where did you find the correct spring?

51 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Very Nice !!!

More Pics would be Even Nicer :D

Where did you find the correct spring?

Thanks, I'll try to dig up more. I make all of my action springs "in house" except for the compression springs for the Ruger type hand spring conversion.  (That way, I never run out !! Lol!)

Mike

Here, the trigger and bolt springs are installed and you can see the bolt block held in place by the modified combo spring. It should be obvious now that the trigger guard is what imparts tension to the  trigger/ bolt springs as well as what the action stop is installed on.  

This is  the setup that will let Remingtons to easily run with Rugers .  .  .  just better!! Lol (lighter weight)

Mike

20181219_114729.jpg

Archived